Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Short Note to All Who Come Here...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:32 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, old friends and new...

First, I want to thank Taskforce for all the labors he expended designing and launching all of our new support vehicles for the entire D-D operation. Much of this he accomplished while in the throes of agony with an abscessed tooth! I hesitated to strangle him several times because I didn't want to distract him from these critical functions!

Second, I wish to make a brief statement about forum rules: I don't like 'em!!

(Edit Update) Ah, here's a rule: Interest in patches not yet released, postulated release timetables for said patches, and patches we're not working on at the moment may be discussed freely at any time. Don't worry about being over-redundant. Dynamic means that circumstances and status change constantly. We don't expect you to conduct exhaustive research for an hour prior to posting. Check the immediate area on (the) related board(s), the project page, and the main page, then speak up! If someone chastises you for missing an old entry that is buried in some obscure place, we'll ban 'em for spoiling your fun and urinating on the public's enthusiasm for video game translations. Yo, there's another good rule, neh!?

The last thing I want to see here is all of that overlord moderator mentality crap about which kind of post properly goes in which one of the 25 message slots. Personally, I don't give a rats as long as we continue to achieve two basic goals: (1) Have fun. (2) Create new video game patches in Western languages.

During the entire time since our rebirth with the release of Lennus-II under the Stealth-Magic-Destiny banners, we suffered nary an unpleasant moment on the old board. NO BANS OCCURRED! To a person, gamers dropped in and conducted themselves with dignity and class. That is certainly a tone that fits and pleases the vast majority of those who love classic RPGs and most other genres of video games.

Again, welcome, and please continue to help us maintain a similar decorum here, and together we'll accomplish much more if we focus most of our energies on the games, not hyper-managing a communication system that is occasionally besieged with unnecessary turmoil that defeats the whole purpose of gaming.

We appreciate your support!

Last edited by Wildbill on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A Short Note to All Who Come Here...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:26 am 
Site Admin

Here, here! Well said Wildbill, I agree completely! By the way, part of your post has me interested;
Wildbill wrote:
(2) Create new video game patches in Western languages.

Does this mean that D-D would host translations in other languages of their already completed English projects? If so, I would be interested in translating Mystic Ark into Romanian. Also Burning Heroes and Record of Lodoss War once we're done with those. I would need some help though in editing the MA font to include five accented unicode letter (ten, if you count both capitals and lower case letters), as well as someone to insert the text into the game. An edit of the starting D-D game credits would also probably be a good idea. Having translations of multiple languages such as French, Spanish, Italian and German would certainly increase the fan base.

This would seem like an interesting project for me to take on seeing as how I've just finished translating Chrono Trigger today. Well, I still need to make a title screen hack, write a readme text file as well as beta test it once I finished with the fine text editing. The only problem is, I don't know what site to upload it at so that I can link it to romhacking.net. I've seen Tauwasser recommened a site called Fileden over at RHDN. Has anyone ever used this one before? Is it a trusted site (meaning that there's no pop-up ads or the like)?

Eh, perhaps I'm jumping the gun a bit here though. I do have a rather bad habit of taking on too many projects at once. I guess I'll keep it in mind for now until I finish some of my currents projects. Well me know if anyone is interested in helping out and thanks!

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:05 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Here, here! Well said Wildbill, I agree completely! By the way, part of your post has me interested;
Wildbill wrote:
(2) Create new video game patches in Western languages.

Does this mean that D-D would host translations in other languages of their already completed English projects? If so, I would be interested in translating Mystic Ark into Romanian. Also Burning Heroes and Record of Lodoss War once we're done with those. I would need some help though in editing the MA font to include five accented unicode letter (ten, if you count both capitals and lower case letters), as well as someone to insert the text into the game. An edit of the starting D-D game credits would also probably be a good idea. Having translations of multiple languages such as French, Spanish, Italian and German would certainly increase the fan base.

This would seem like an interesting project for me to take on seeing as how I've just finished translating Chrono Trigger today. Well, I still need to make a title screen hack, write a readme text file as well as beta test it once I finished with the fine text editing. The only problem is, I don't know what site to upload it at so that I can link it to romhacking.net. I've seen Tauwasser recommened a site called Fileden over at RHDN. Has anyone ever used this one before? Is it a trusted site (meaning that there's no pop-up ads or the like)?

Eh, perhaps I'm jumping the gun a bit here though. I do have a rather bad habit of taking on too many projects at once. I guess I'll keep it in mind for now until I finish some of my currents projects. Well me know if anyone is interested in helping out and thanks!

Yes, that's exactly what I meant, and I believe we can set you up with the tools to produce MA Romanian. All we need to do is add your 10 characters to the font table in the patch. I hope we have the space. Also, I believe you just solved a question I've been pondering for quite some time about Feda Portuguese and French. Maybe those special characters can be keyboarded in unicode as well. If you know how to do this in an insertion tool, I hope you will teach Red Soul the technique.

Why don't you host your Romanian CT patch here?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:48 am 

Its just a blurb on my part but I suppose the insertor will have special commands for these characters, so in theory that is how it should go...kind of like when you check at the HTML source of a page that uses diacritical markings, it has the base letter and then a word to describe what kind of marking goes with it.
How can I put it less confusingly...hm

If I recall... é would read e&acute or something in HTML code, I don't remember too well...what I mean is, it should be possible without altering the actual encoding this way, just lenghtening the table to accomodate these extra characters.
I might not have made any sense I know, but I'm not programming savory and my HTML is really rusty.
Also it might be wise to make this new forum known to FlashPV as I believe he was the interested party in spearheading Feda
french, I guess he will be happy to know we will be relaying part of our time and resources into internationalizing the game further.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:

Heh, thanks WildBill, that would be great! Should I email you the .rar with the .ips and readme, or should I start a thread about my projects like Noname345 and attach the file with the function below?

Although, it will probably take another week before I comletely finish it. Chrono Trigger Text Editor played a very cruel trick on me. It displayed the circumflex accents correctly on screen, but when I tried to save my translation to ROM, it gave an error message saying that the characters I used were invalid. So now, I have to go through the entire text and switch them over to regular English letters. Good thing there's a search text function at least. It's still readable without the use of accents by the context, but it just doesn't look all that great. Most people type without accents on the web though so they I suppose it wouldn't matter for them all that much.
Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I meant, and I believe we can set you up with the tools to produce MA Romanian. All we need to do is add your 10 characters to the font table in the patch. I hope we have the space.

Here's the characters that I would need:
ÎÂĂŞŢ / îâăşţ

All of these have keyboard shortcuts except for the capital and lower case "a" with Breve. Most, if not all of the European Romance languages are covered in Unicode UTF-8 (or so I've read). By the way, this forum turned out better than most of the other ones I've seen on the web! Congrats to Taskforce! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Quote:

Heh, thanks WildBill, that would be great! Should I email you the .rar with the .ips and readme, or should I start a thread about my projects like Noname345 and attach the file with the function below?

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I meant, and I believe we can set you up with the tools to produce MA Romanian. All we need to do is add your 10 characters to the font table in the patch. I hope we have the space.

Here's the characters that I would need:
ÎÂĂŞŢ / îâăşţ

All of these have keyboard shortcuts except for the capital and lower case "a" with Breve. Most, if not all of the European Romance languages are covered in Unicode UTF-8 (or so I've read). By the way, this forum turned out better than most of the other ones I've seen on the web! Congrats to Taskforce! :)

Okay, I will get back to you on how we will set up everything discussed above. If the group approves, perhaps we can set you up as a free sub-domain (I must find out how this works with naming options and such), or we might make you a hosted domain. As a sub-domain, maybe we can create a vehicle such as Recca's Romanian Translations.com (or [dot] something else), with an e-mail address of Recca(at)dynamic-designs(dot)us. Or, if the latter way is your preferred choice, you would first establish and pay for your own domain, then give us the URL to host here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, I see. I'll have to think about it. Seeing as how I've only got one translated game so far, having a web site or a sub domain might be a little too much at the moment. It might be easier to just use a free uploading site such as Fileden and link it to romhacking.net. Latter I could have a thread here linking there. Or perhaps I could join that Romanian video gaming site I've been lurking at. I could ask if they would be willing to host this translation for me. Once I translate more games (if I can find the time to), I'll consider having my own site. It will still be awhile before I completely finish with CT though.

The majority of Romanians do speak English fluently since it's taught in school there, so my translation is more for children and those that just want to play games in their/our language. There's a couple of more games that I have in mind to translate. All of them have game specific tools. I'm not that good with hex editors...

By the way, how does that function below work? Does it just attach it in the post? Would it be possible to link to romhacking.net that way and then remove it afterwards (after the submission gets approved)? Also about Mystic Ark, if I were to translate it, would it not be a good fit for the completed projects section? I mean, it is a D-D project after all. I would be translating Akujin's English text as well as getting help on font/script insertion and all that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Ah, I see. I'll have to think about it. Seeing as how I've only got one translated game so far, having a web site or a sub domain might be a little too much at the moment. It might be easier to just use a free uploading site such as Fileden and link it to romhacking.net. Latter I could have a thread here linking there. Or perhaps I could join that Romanian video gaming site I've been lurking at. I could ask if they would be willing to host this translation for me. Once I translate more games (if I can find the time to), I'll consider having my own site. It will still be awhile before I completely finish with CT though.

The majority of Romanians do speak English fluently since it's taught in school there, so my translation is more for children and those that just want to play games in their/our language. There's a couple of more games that I have in mind to translate. All of them have game specific tools. I'm not that good with hex editors...

By the way, how does that function below work? Does it just attach it in the post? Would it be possible to link to romhacking.net that way and then remove it afterwards (after the submission gets approved)? Also about Mystic Ark, if I were to translate it, would it not be a good fit for the completed projects section? I mean, it is a D-D project after all. I would be translating Akujin's English text as well as getting help on font/script insertion and all that.

We are allowed up to 200 free sub-domains, so it's really no big deal to help you out in this way. It could start out simple with just your CT work. You could expand it as much or as little as you want over time. You would have your own private user-id and password and could talk about your approach to CT and MA Romanian, as well as other endeavors, if and when the time comes.

You could and should also continue to discuss your work on any of the applicable boards here (MA, Other Groups, etc.) any or all as you choose, but yes. MA Romanian would be a D-D project with you on the MA staff in full charge of coordinating that version. MA Romanian's patch would appear on our Downloads page under an "International" category, and we could also build a Romanian project page to incorporate somewhere in the structure.

I have also proposed on our internal coordination board that we add a third category, Hosted Projects, under Projects for such as your Romanian CT, and a Hosted category on our Downloads page for your released CT patch. You could still post it at any other web site you choose, for players to go there and download it from those sites if they prefer (same as our works are posted in those locations) but under my proposals, D-D would be your "home", your support base for both your D-D work and your personal translations.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have also proposed on our internal coordination board that we add a third category, Hosted Projects, under Projects for such as your Romanian CT, and a Hosted category on our Downloads page for your released CT patch. You could still post it at any other web site you choose, for players to go there and download it from those sites if they prefer (same as our works are posted in those locations) but under my proposals, D-D would be your "home", your support base for both your D-D work and your personal translations.

That sounds great! I've just finished my CT translation earlier today. The editing took longer than I expected. I really should have used Windhex instead of CT Text Editor. I wasen't able to translate some of the menu text which was saved as graphics. Only a bit though, not a big deal. There's a few bugs in the main text though. When you open treasure chests, it says "Got" instead of "Gasit" in Romanian. I translated this but it still displays it in English. Aside from those two things and the fact that I couldn't use accents, everything else is fine. It's ready for hosting now. Edit: I've just found a random bug that freezes the game when trying to buy the over priced Demon blade from Medina. I don't think that anyone would actually try to buy it, but it is still annoying. I'm starting to regret praising CT Text Editor over at RHDN. Well, aside from those things I've mentioned, the actual main text and everything else is fine.

I expect that the MA translation would go a lot more smoothly since it would be a team effort and I would also be able to use the proper accented letters. It would certainly come out better than my CT translation did. We should just hold on to that sub site idea for now...

Makes me wonder what I should do for my future translation projects. Should I use simple and fast game specific tools like I did for CT, or hex editors for better quality...? Speaking of quality, I'm not even sure if I should release my CT translation now. Perhaps, I'll just write it off as good practise. If I do translate any more games in Romanian, it certainly will be of better quality. I think it would be better to stick with Japanese-English translations though. Both because of the bigger English speaking fan base and because I'm studying Japanese. We are still working both on Burning Heroes and Record of Lodoss War after all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Quote:

That sounds great! I've just finished my CT translation earlier today. The editing took longer than I expected. I really should have used Windhex instead of CT Text Editor. I wasn't able to translate some of the menu text which was saved as graphics. Only a bit though, not a big deal. There's a few bugs in the main text though. When you open treasure chests, it says "Got" instead of "Gasit" in Romanian. I translated this but it still displays it in English. Aside from those two things and the fact that I couldn't use accents, everything else is fine. It's ready for hosting now. Edit: I've just found a random bug that freezes the game when trying to buy the over priced Demon blade from Medina. I don't think that anyone would actually try to buy it, but it is still annoying. I'm starting to regret praising CT Text Editor over at RHDN. Well, aside from those things I've mentioned, the actual main text and everything else is fine.

I expect that the MA translation would go a lot more smoothly since it would be a team effort and I would also be able to use the proper accented letters. It would certainly come out better than my CT translation did. We should just hold on to that sub site idea for now...

Makes me wonder what I should do for my future translation projects. Should I use simple and fast game specific tools like I did for CT, or hex editors for better quality...? Speaking of quality, I'm not even sure if I should release my CT translation now. Perhaps, I'll just write it off as good practice. If I do translate any more games in Romanian, it certainly will be of better quality. I think it would be better to stick with Japanese-English translations though. Both because of the bigger English speaking fan base and because I'm studying Japanese. We are still working both on Burning Heroes and Record of Lodoss War after all.

Let us know what you decide.

As for tools, each game and its structures are different. Something always seems to come up that requires a unique fix outside of both the designed and generic tools. My guess is that you inserted some text that conflicted with a control code regarding the sword purchase.

When we load the additional font letters into our Mystic Ark package, assuming we are able, we may run into difficulties with dictionary support (compression), as the game is now quite fragile whenever we alter text in some of the blocks. This wasn't the case until we changed the VWF routine, to create a universal patch. Regarding the other games you mentioned, however, Bongo` envisions designing their universal architectures from the ground up, so that byte allowances should be the major consideration during the re-translation/conversion process.