Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Note to Users of Our Internal Messaging System
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:18 am 
Site Admin

I don't know how to state this delicately, but not everyone who has a D-D account is receptive to receiving multiple messages through this system.

I know how excited some of us can become over certain games and how appreciative all of us are toward those who provide critical services that help make our English patches a reality, but I'm asking everyone to use a bit of common sense here.

We all know that we're a fairly tight-knit but small group of people here who posts regularly at the forums and chit-chats frequently about this and that. Other people with accounts visit only occasionally, however, either because they're busy with other activities, or maybe they don't particularly care to get to know us that well. So, if you send a private message to someone who visits infrequently and that person doesn't respond after a few days, please don't keep barraging him or her with additional messages.

One of our members who happens to be a very valuable contributor to a project has just requested that we delete his account for the very reason I just described above - multiple messages from the same person, over and over.

So, if you want to see us finish games more efficiently and maintain the best of relations with important contributors, as I said, please use a little common sense after you message them once and don't receive an answer, especially if they are not someone you have come to know well on the boards.

Post subject: Re: A Note to Users of Our Internal Messaging System
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:33 am 
Is it possible to add users to an "ignore list' ?

I'm not familiar with this board, but it might have that option.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:46 am 

It would almost seem more fair to remove the other poster, but one would hope that they didn't understand they were bothering the other person. I hope this doesn't affect any progress on the work that individual is doing, I suspect its Burning Heroes related :(

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:53 am 
Site Admin

Yes, if you will direct me to this poster, I will be absolutely willing to take appropriate action against him/her. This is the first I'm hearing of it. I don't necessarily have to ban the user, I can limit their ability to send private messages and ect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:00 am 

It sounds reasonable for a first time punishment...
till its sad that some would be childish to the point of clogging the communication system needlessly.
I hope whoever wanted their account cancelled because of that will change their mind,
and whoever was abusive will refrain from repeating this behavior.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:48 am 
Site Admin

I would hope we could keep this as a learning opportunity at this time and try to get the message out, rather than make it punitive in nature because I know the person did not have malicious intentions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:50 am 
Site Admin

Was this Bot related or just someone being an arse? We've had bot problems in the past (maybe you've noticed) coming out of China, but I think I've taken care of those drones for the time being.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:44 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Was this Bot related or just someone being an arse? We've had bot problems in the past (maybe you've noticed) coming out of China, but I think I've taken care of those drones for the time being.
It was a specific member sending multiple messages to another member who either did not have time or want to establish correspondence and was also concerned about receiving "suspicious e-mails with links". In sum, at this time, I don't perceive anything "suspicious" about these multiple e-mails. I think it's possible that the member requesting deletion may also be annoyed by the excessive clutter in his mailbox.

I will try to get more details to the core group tomorrow - sometime after I return from Son Tommy's surgery.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:48 am 
Site Admin

In case other people out there don't know how to use the board correctly, you can change your preferences by clicking on "User Control Panel" in the upper right part of the board. Once in the control panel, navigate to "Board Preferences" under "Options". There, you can change/tweak most settings for the board, including PMs and your e-mail display.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

I've disabled e-mailing from the board. It is really a security risk we don't need anyway. Maybe this will satisfy this certain individual and he'll not want his account deleted. If he does however still want me to do that, I will do that for him.