Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Post subject: Slayers translation
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:52 pm 

Hi I'm really happy this is going to be translated thanks to Filler, Willbill, Bongo and everyone else involved. I can be a beta tester of the patch so count on me.

Post subject: Re: Slayers translation
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

alexander_13 wrote:
Hi I'm really happy this is going to be translated thanks to Filler, Willbill, Bongo and everyone else involved. I can be a beta tester of the patch so count on me.

If you are Alex from the other board, we've got your name jotted down for this duty when the time comes. Bongo` sent us the insertion tools. I started writing the opening scene almost immediately last night. Filler built an 8X16 Kanji table overnight that may be the much needed menu list. Yes, we are rolling along now! Once I coordinate with Filler, show him the first scene, and get his approval on the story style and direction I'm going, I'll post updates on the main board.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:53 pm 

Yes i'm the same alex so when the beta is ready I can test it out thanks a lot ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
alexander_13 wrote:

If you are Alex from the other board, we've got your name jotted down for this duty when the time comes. Bongo` sent us the insertion tools. I started writing the opening scene almost immediately last night. Filler built an 8X16 Kanji table overnight that may be the much needed menu list. Yes, we are rolling along now! Once I coordinate with Filler, show him the first scene, and get his approval on the story style and direction I'm going, I'll post updates on the main board.

I want to get with filler on this as well. We need to find a Final font that can be matched with a menu font.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:54 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
alexander_13 wrote:

I want to get with filler on this as well. We need to find a Final font that can be matched with a menu font.

I don't guess there's any chance of luring Taskforce into hand-designing the perfect Slayers shadow font... Not unless we *Spoiler* the same as Lina in the game!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:18 pm 

One of those lines seems like a prime candidate for a homage to the Three Amigos. It's the line about being where the monsters are.

Lucky Day: Wherever there is injustice, you will find us.
Ned Nederlander: Wherever there is suffering, we'll be there.
Dusty Bottoms: Wherever liberty is threatened, you will find...
Lucky Day, Ned Nederlander, Dusty Bottoms: The Three Amigos!

That'd be my suggestion. I generally like to adapt certain things into a script if they fit the situation and are similar. I doubt most people would get the reference anyway.

Looking good though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:03 am 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
One of those lines seems like a prime candidate for a homage to the Three Amigos. It's the line about being where the monsters are.

Lucky Day: Wherever there is injustice, you will find us.
Ned Nederlander: Wherever there is suffering, we'll be there.
Dusty Bottoms: Wherever liberty is threatened, you will find...
Lucky Day, Ned Nederlander, Dusty Bottoms: The Three Amigos!

That'd be my suggestion. I generally like to adapt certain things into a script if they fit the situation and are similar. I doubt most people would get the reference anyway.

Maybe the creators of Slayers borrowed the idea from T3A, because the line is actually the opening of the Slayers theme song Get Along. Here are the fullly translated lyrics from the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QdtEXex ... L&index=26

-Get Along-

Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down.
Where gold glitters, I am there to claim it.
Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!
No matter how hard this wind...
...tries to push me back...
I recite a single spell and
I set the pace my own way!
Anyone who's jealous of my power...
...and my beauty won't get in my way.
I won't flinch from any opponent...
...as my cape flaps in the breeze.
I want to do that, I want to do this.
Hey, that's just how girls are.
One slip it's to hell you go.
So you better not get in my way!
Far away, going where I want to.
Don't want this journey to ever end.
Even the worst of days...
...I'll finish with a smile.
Far away, embracing all the magic...
I wanna go beyond this day.
With my eyes on my dreams...
I keep walking on.
As far as I can...
Get along, try again.

I plan to scatter these lines in the appropriate places throughout the game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:40 am 

The recent posts on this topic remind me of some clever writing by Working Designs on an old Sega CD RPG Popful Mail. The game has a villain like Arnold Schwarzenegger who has a line that says

"'Listen to me now, and believe me pretty soon. I am no Kindergarten Cop. I am the Predator, and you are my prey. This little skirmish will be your last action, hero person. It's Judgement Day."

I miss Working Designs.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:56 am 
Site Admin

ultpaladin wrote:
I miss Working Designs.

But at least we've got Dynamic Designs...

Still, our approach doesn't please everyone. Listen, to restate our philosophy, indulge me while I vent a little bit.

Some clown giving his opinion on the English dialogue in Feda complained about the writing (which was directed at me, of course). Anyway, he implied that the terminology was so lousy, it reminded him of Ted Woolsey and Working Designs (Exact statement: It's like Ted Woosley and Working Designs collaborated to see if they could produce the most feeble translation of all time.). Well, I must admit that I don't keep up with all of the details associated with name-dropping in RPG production, so I did what I always do when confronted with confusion. I researched.

Heh, I not only discovered who Ted Woolsey was, I felt I had been paid a supreme complement by an idiot, someone who slung the name Ted Woolsey out there as a pejorative, a knee-jerk reflection of his microscopic inbred video game world mentality. Encountering such comments only strengthens my resolve to write stories that people such as he hate. One thing I can promise, whenever appropriate, Taskforce and I will remain Working Designs-oriented in our collaborations, always have been - always will be.

I've said it countless times. Anyone can hack the same games as we and write them to their own satisfaction. Yes, they are free to make them as dull, boring, and ethnocentrically witless as they wish - which has already happened - for those audiences that seem to prefer them that way. All it takes is an entry-level creative writing course at the high school level, even less in the way of skills, to satisfy sycophants.

Anyway, Filler is providing a backstop for me on the Slayers culture. Later, I expect Alex and others will give us good feedback during beta. In the case of this specific game, I want to satisfy Filler and the rest of the Slayer fan base. Not only that, some of ChrisRPG's work will live on in our finished release, another well-deserved tribute to the late Chris, to whom we dedicated Mystic Ark English.

Now, let me share this statement from a source who is a proponent of Ted Woolsey's approach to localization. I couldn't possibly express it any better. Here's the link, also:

http://smc.smallcave.net/woolsey/index.php

-Ted Woolsey

This section contains all the information I could possibly get online on the delightfully controversial former Square USA head translator. Woolsey is widely known for his translations, mainly because he was involved with many of what the 16-bit generation believe to be the best games of all time: Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, and Super Mario RPG.

The Anti-Woolsey People claim that the translations for these games were horrible in that they detracted from the Japanese source material by inserting American-ized language and jokes. This was a horrible thing because it means that Americans were actually able to READ and ENJOY the story of the game without any knowledge of the Japanese language or culture. This is of course too disgusting to even IMAGINE, as any Fansub Sailor Moon fan will tell you!

The Pro-Woolseys argued that it was a good thing to localize games because it makes people other than pretentious geeks want to play them. And that of course is always a good thing.

This section is dedicated to the pioneer of localization, Ted Woolsey. If he hadn't have done it, someone else surely would have (Working Designs was actually into this sort of stuff at about the same time). But he did it, so he kicks ass!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:08 am 

If you ever looked at some of the Tales translation projects like Tales of Innocence and Tales of Heart, there is a lot of complaints about translations even including character names and art/spell names. You can never make everyone happy but its particularly galling that they complain about a translation they are playing for free and would never have even been an English were it not for the hard work of groups like DD. Since I've been on this board, old and new, I have not seen any such petty behavior which is one of the reasons why its funner being on a board like this compared to others. I prefer the way that Dynamic Designs has done translations. Its fun to read the script in the game. Mystic Ark was very interesting and well written.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next