Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: In need of Slayers Patch Application Help
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:16 pm 

Hello everybody, my name is SureinDragon, and I'm currently in a bit of a pinch.

For the past few hours, I've been trying to patch my Japanese Slayers rom with the English patch the people here at Dynamic-Designs have put together, but I've been having a slight issue.

My problem is that I cannot find a rom of the proper size, no matter where I look. Every file I download is always slightly to big.
I have checked out the Rom Patching for Dummies guide, and I downloaded the Snestool to see if the roms I download had unnecessary headers, but my computer is apparently incompatible with the program. (I have a Dell running on Windows 7, and I absolutely DESPISE that version of windows.) I have also looked at some other topics, but I could not make heads nor tails of the instructions other users have given.

I'm not sure where else to go from here, and I would be extremely grateful for any assistance that could be provided. Thank you in advance!

SureinDragon

Post subject: Re: In need of Slayers Patch Application Help
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:59 am 

Welcome to the forums, Sureindragon.
Firstly, allow me to thank you for your detailed issue
description and your proactive posture in trying your
best to figure things out on your own before getting help,
sure shows you've read my guide, heh ^.^'

Yeah Snestool and other legacy 16-bit apps don't like Win7,
but do not despair, there are other ways to get around the issue.
I'm going to assume here that the ROMs you are attempting to patch
has a size of 1.572.864 bytes, since its the one required.

Your best bet is getting a tool suite called NSRT (Natch's Snes ROM Tools)
and use that to remove the ROM header before applying the patch.
Unfortunately since I'm running on XPSP3 I have no way to
ascertain NSRT runs in W7, but it is my impression that it should.

Keep us posted and I'll do my best to assist you further.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:11 am 

Thanks for the welcome, Red Soul!
Well, I do the least I can to figure out things on my own first. x: I understand how busy you guys can get, and I'd rather not make a bother of myself by asking for help without even trying first!

Alas, I've come to discover that most rom-related tools and devices don't agree well with Windows 7. ^^' It's a bit of a bother, but I've been able to manage. And, yes, that's the size of the rom I am aiming for~

Also, I've downloaded NSRT and I've got it seems to work fine on my Windows 7 computer! I've gotten it to scan the rom and there is indeed a header on it, one that was called "SWC", whatever that may mean, and I've removed the header, so now its the proper size! I've patched it with LunarIPS, my usual patcher, and I've loaded it into Zsnes... And it works! It still says "Bad rom" at the bottom when I first load it, but it loads anyways, and it is indeed in english! Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help!

Spoiler! :
But, there is one last thing I'd like some assistance with. I hear that Zsnes has issues with the saving function of the game, so I've been trying to use Bsnes (V087) but I've had issues loading the rom into the Emulator. I've tried the first two options (Load NES and SNES Cartridge) but they apparently dont support the Rom's format, and I'm at a loss because I can't find any tutorials on how to use it. ^^' Would you happen to know what the problem is? Thank you in advance~!

Whoops, I fixed that issue~ I got the rom to work with Bsnes~! Although my framerate is painstakingly low... Any way I can fix that? ^^; Aside from that... I'm 100% good to go! Once agian, thank you so much for assistance, and I look forward to trying some of your other translated roms after I finish this one!

SureinDragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:01 am 

BSNES can be quite resource heavy, but you can use SnesGT or Snes9X 1.43 and you should be able to run the game and save without any issues.
ZSNES is speed efficient but sadly it suffers whenever accurate emulation is required by the ROM (try playing Star Ocean on it and you'll get what I mean).

SnesGT (I recommend beta 7), Snes9x 1.43 and BSNES can run pretty much anything you throw at it flawlessly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:27 am 

Alright then~ I'll check out those programs! Once again, thank you so much for the help!

SureinDragon