Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My new Video Walkthrough for Slayers is now up!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:29 am 

For those of you who may not have seen my work before, I've been making video walkthroughs for various games as of late. Unlike the let's play type videos which usually are about 10-15 minutes apiece, I try to have my videos go through the entire game in one video (unless it's a RPG, in which I try to split them into 4 hour videos).

I was quite happy a long time ago when the translation patch came out, and have played the game quite a few times, and now I've gotten into doing these videos, I just had to do one for Slayers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pkHCqSoAG0 Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L869-zW1U3o Part 2

I usually like to end the RPG videos (besides the last one) by saving the game and having that be the last thing in the video, in which the next video starts by going into the title screen and loading up the file. This however wasn't the case for this game due to that one tiny problem of some emulators going screwy by loading up a save file.

The second video does get the Dragon Slave spell, and shows the correct way of doing so. That list that tells you how to get it was missing a step. You have to talk to a female wizard on the first floor before you can talk to the guy in the basement.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy this. I really appreciate the staff's hard work in bringing forth a quality translation for this wonderful game. Kudos obviously to the guy at Matt's Messy Room for working on this as well.

Post subject: Re: My new Video Walkthrough for Slayers is now up!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:53 am 
Site Admin

Saikyo Mog wrote:
For those of you who may not have seen my work before, I've been making video walkthroughs for various games as of late. Unlike the let's play type videos which usually are about 10-15 minutes apiece, I try to have my videos go through the entire game in one video (unless it's a RPG, in which I try to split them into 4 hour videos).

I was quite happy a long time ago when the translation patch came out, and have played the game quite a few times, and now I've gotten into doing these videos, I just had to do one for Slayers.

I usually like to end the RPG videos (besides the last one) by saving the game and having that be the last thing in the video, in which the next video starts by going into the title screen and loading up the file. This however wasn't the case for this game due to that one tiny problem of some emulators going screwy by loading up a save file.

The second video does get the Dragon Slave spell, and shows the correct way of doing so. That list that tells you how to get it was missing a step. You have to talk to a female wizard on the first floor before you can talk to the guy in the basement.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy this. I really appreciate the staff's hard work in bringing forth a quality translation for this wonderful game. Kudos obviously to the guy at Matt's Messy Room for working on this as well.
Slayers turned out to garner quite a following, it seems. All we really did here was sort of pull together and wrap up some really great work by many people over the years. Yep, and you're right. Filler (MMR) kept it all alive. He is the "surviving" heart and soul of SFC Slayers.

Are you looking at doing anything else like this for any more of our patch releases?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:19 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
Saikyo Mog wrote:

Slayers turned out to garner quite a following, it seems. All we really did here was sort of pull together and wrap up some really great work by many people over the years. Yep, and you're right. Filler (MMR) kept it all alive. He is the "surviving" heart and soul of SFC Slayers.

Are you looking at doing anything else like this for any more of our patch releases?

If you have a request for me to do, I'd be more than happy to give any game a whirl. It might be awhile depending on the game. I would need to go through it a first, take some notes, etc. I have a huge list of games I want to do in the future, and I have some PS3 games I want to play as well, but usually when someone requests something, I try to make a point of bumping that to the top of the list of stuff to do. So if you have anything in particular you'd really want to see done, then request away.

I would say I'd like to do Villgust (since I loved the NES one which I did a video for and I have the two OVAs on my YouTube page), but there's a glitch right before the final boss fight that pretty much freezes the game. As soon as you're about to enter the final room, it would just freeze up. It seems this is a problem with ZSNES and SNES9x (I use SNES9x). So unless that one tiny problem can be fixed, I'll have to pass on Villgust for the time being :cry:

I think if I were to just pick a game from the list of completed projects, I would say I would do Destiny of an Emperor 2. I love the Dynasty / Samurai / Orochi Warrior games, so playing an RPG based around the Three Kingdoms era would be fun I think. Though, I would have to start with the first game. So perhaps I'll do that and then I'll see what I can do about the second.

EDIT: Though I should add that having done 2 RPGs almost back to back (I did the Rygar video after Secret of Evermore so I could say I didn't do another RPG right after I just finished one up.) If I'm going to do the Destiny of an Emperor games, I'll at least want to do a couple of other non-RPG games first. I made up a little list of games I'll do first, and then I'll tackle the two NES RPGs. I'll be sure to make a new topic on the board when it's up (But I'm sure it will be a little while...Can't rush these things... :mrgreen: )

EDIT2: I shouldn't try to put deadlines on myself, as I just go freaking nuts. Destiny of an Emperor 2 will be the next game I do from your completed projects list, but I have no idea when it will actually be done. It could be a few weeks, it could even be a month or two. I will try to do videos for all your games eventually (provided they don't end up like Villgust with that glitch at the end of the game). But yeah, I dunno when it will get done as there are some other things I want to do and I have no idea when they will be finished up. Only time will tell... :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Saikyo Mog wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
Saikyo Mog wrote:

If you have a request for me to do, I'd be more than happy to give any game a whirl. It might be awhile depending on the game. I would need to go through it a first, take some notes, etc. I have a huge list of games I want to do in the future, and I have some PS3 games I want to play as well, but usually when someone requests something, I try to make a point of bumping that to the top of the list of stuff to do. So if you have anything in particular you'd really want to see done, then request away.

I would say I'd like to do Villgust (since I loved the NES one which I did a video for and I have the two OVAs on my YouTube page), but there's a glitch right before the final boss fight that pretty much freezes the game. As soon as you're about to enter the final room, it would just freeze up. It seems this is a problem with ZSNES and SNES9x (I use SNES9x). So unless that one tiny problem can be fixed, I'll have to pass on Villgust for the time being :cry:

I think if I were to just pick a game from the list of completed projects, I would say I would do Destiny of an Emperor 2. I love the Dynasty / Samurai / Orochi Warrior games, so playing an RPG based around the Three Kingdoms era would be fun I think. Though, I would have to start with the first game. So perhaps I'll do that and then I'll see what I can do about the second.

EDIT: Though I should add that having done 2 RPGs almost back to back (I did the Rygar video after Secret of Evermore so I could say I didn't do another RPG right after I just finished one up.) If I'm going to do the Destiny of an Emperor games, I'll at least want to do a couple of other non-RPG games first. I made up a little list of games I'll do first, and then I'll tackle the two NES RPGs. I'll be sure to make a new topic on the board when it's up (But I'm sure it will be a little while...Can't rush these things... :mrgreen: )

EDIT2: I shouldn't try to put deadlines on myself, as I just go freaking nuts. Destiny of an Emperor 2 will be the next game I do from your completed projects list, but I have no idea when it will actually be done. It could be a few weeks, it could even be a month or two. I will try to do videos for all your games eventually (provided they don't end up like Villgust with that glitch at the end of the game). But yeah, I dunno when it will get done as there are some other things I want to do and I have no idea when they will be finished up. Only time will tell... :twisted:
DoaE-II and Villgust are both perfect choices. DoaE-II is about the only game I play once nearly every year. Several people started "Let's plays" with Lennus-II and Mystic Ark, but neither of these were completed. I think it's important that energetic, creative people such as yourself always choose the games you enjoy the most, first.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:15 pm 

I want to say if the SNES Villgust had a battle system like the NES one did, I'd try to find some way around that game ending glitch and I'd most likely have made the video already. Perhaps in the future if someone has free time, they could take a look at the game and see if they could fix it up. I do have a save file right at the end, so it would only take a few minutes to reach that point if anyone needed that. :D

While I haven't actually played the first or second DoaE game, I did look through a few guides, and it shouldn't be too bad. I will need to play through it to make sure I know what I'm doing for the most part, but there shouldn't be too many problems. DoaE 1 and 2 will be the next RPGs I do (I might even do them back to back), so when I finish up the second one, I'll be sure to let you guys know. There's only a few shorter games I wish to the at the moment, so it will be a wee bit. Also, I did just download Warriors Orochi 3, and I'm sorta getting hooked on that. :mrgreen: However, while I hate putting deadlines on myself as I mentioned, I imagine I could have DoaE 2 finished and up in a month or less. After that, the RPG I want to do is Madou Monogatari for the SNES (it's pretty much an RPG with the characters from the Puyo Puyo series...It's just too odd a game for me to pass up). And then after that, I'm not sure which RPG I'll eventually get to. I'll most likely have a bunch of shorter games in mind to do, but if there is a particular game you would want done, then just ask.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:33 am 
Site Admin

Saikyo Mog wrote:
I want to say if the SNES Villgust had a battle system like the NES one did, I'd try to find some way around that game ending glitch and I'd most likely have made the video already. Perhaps in the future if someone has free time, they could take a look at the game and see if they could fix it up. I do have a save file right at the end, so it would only take a few minutes to reach that point if anyone needed that. :D

While I haven't actually played the first or second DoaE game, I did look through a few guides, and it shouldn't be too bad. I will need to play through it to make sure I know what I'm doing for the most part, but there shouldn't be too many problems. DoaE 1 and 2 will be the next RPGs I do (I might even do them back to back), so when I finish up the second one, I'll be sure to let you guys know. There's only a few shorter games I wish to the at the moment, so it will be a wee bit. Also, I did just download Warriors Orochi 3, and I'm sorta getting hooked on that. :mrgreen: However, while I hate putting deadlines on myself as I mentioned, I imagine I could have DoaE 2 finished and up in a month or less. After that, the RPG I want to do is Madou Monogatari for the SNES (it's pretty much an RPG with the characters from the Puyo Puyo series...It's just too odd a game for me to pass up). And then after that, I'm not sure which RPG I'll eventually get to. I'll most likely have a bunch of shorter games in mind to do, but if there is a particular game you would want done, then just ask.
Yep, this hobby works the best when most of the pressure we feel comes from deadlines we impose on ourselves. Also, I find if I don't take time to play games, read books, watch movies, and read professional writing journals, my writing gets stale. I like to call it stodgy!

stodg-y (stoj'ee) adj. <stodg-i-er, stodg-i-est>
1. dull or uninteresting; boring.
2. heavy, as food.
3. stocky; thickset.
4. unduly formal and traditional.
5. dull; graceless; inelegant: a stodgy
business suit.
[1815-25]

Unfortunately, this definition fits a lot of RPG story writing, or else some writers seem to bog down, get lazy, or slide into staleness. Heh, whenever I lose what I feel is freshness, I've been known to dump a whole story line, take a break, and begin anew after reading something by Larry McMurtry, etc. Our easy-to-beat game Silva Saga-II has a nice story, btw. I hope you'll see fit to do it some day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:50 am 

Wildbill wrote:
Yep, this hobby works the best when most of the pressure we feel comes from deadlines we impose on ourselves. Also, I find if I don't take time to play games, read books, watch movies, and read professional writing journals, my writing gets stale. I like to call it stodgy!

stodg-y (stoj'ee) adj. <stodg-i-er, stodg-i-est>
1. dull or uninteresting; boring.
2. heavy, as food.
3. stocky; thickset.
4. unduly formal and traditional.
5. dull; graceless; inelegant: a stodgy
business suit.
[1815-25]

Unfortunately, this definition fits a lot of RPG story writing, or else some writers seem to bog down, get lazy, or slide into staleness. Heh, whenever I lose what I feel is freshness, I've been known to dump a whole story line, take a break, and begin anew after reading something by Larry McMurtry, etc. Our easy-to-beat game Silva Saga-II has a nice story, btw. I hope you'll see fit to do it some day.

It seems I have some days off coming up in a week or two, which to me seems like a great time to do the two RPGs. Perhaps I might even get to them before, who knows....

Since you want to see Silva Saga-II done, I'll do that soon. However, since it seems the first game has been translated, I'll have to do that before I can do the second game. So with how I see things, I'll upload a few videos and then do the two DoaE games, and then a few random ones, and then that Puyo Puyo RPG, and then some more random games (going to do some Castlevania games), and then I'll work on the 2 Silva Saga games.