Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Slayers, french translation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:59 am 

Hi everybody.

I'm Dark Schneider (aka Darsh) from the french translation group GenerationIX (http://generation9.kanshima.net/b2/).

First of all, I want to thank you guys for translating this Slayers game. I'm a fan of this manga and am finally able to play this game, thanks to you.

I'm also here to ask you if you would agree that I use your patch version to translate this game into french and if you would lend us your tools. I wanted to do it since several years but couldn't due to the fact that there was no english patch before yours and I don't speak japanese.

Thanks for your answer.

PS: I hope I made it correctly. It's the first time I initiate a project and didn't knew how to ask you this... :lol:

Post subject: Re: Slayers, french translation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

darshg9 wrote:
Hi everybody.

I'm Dark Schneider (aka Darsh) from the french translation group GenerationIX (http://generation9.kanshima.net/b2/).

First of all, I want to thank you guys for translating this Slayers game. I'm a fan of this manga and am finally able to play this game, thanks to you.

I'm also here to ask you if you would agree that I use your patch version to translate this game into french and if you would lend us your tools. I wanted to do it since several years but couldn't due to the fact that there was no english patch before yours and I don't speak japanese.

Thanks for your answer.

PS: I hope I made it correctly. It's the first time I initiate a project and didn't knew how to ask you this... :lol:
I think a French translation of Slayers is a marvelous idea. If we can help you pull this off, we would like for you to know up front that we don't have a font loaded in the game that includes letters with diacritical markings.

Second, we would probably want to make it a joint project and co-host your French patch here and at Matt's Messy Room if filler agrees to your proposal.

Third, Bongo` (the author of the re-coding tools) would need to agree, as well as Taskforce, Draken, and Red Soul.

Our major concern is that the tools would not inadvertently fall into someone's hands who would abuse them by hacking a game that would be an embarrassment to the best spirit of professionalism within our overall translation community. Therefore, security of the tools is our paramount concern. If we can work out those pesky security details and the matter of the font, I see no problem personally, but it's up to the other core members.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:51 pm 

I don't know a damn thing about hacking so I won't be the one using your tool, I'll just do the translation job. But for now, I almost just created the project and I'm still looking for a hacker of the french community to help me.

Quote:
Second, we would probably want to make it a joint project and co-host your French patch here and at Matt's Messy Room if filler agrees to your proposal.

Didn't expect it to be otherwise. If I can translate starting from your work and using your tools it's only natural that it would be a joint project (it seems I didn't make it sound clear in my first post though). By the way, the link to the french project topic is this one: http://www.romhack.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3611.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

darshg9 wrote:
I don't know a damn thing about hacking so I won't be the one using your tool, I'll just do the translation job. But for now, I almost just created the project and I'm still looking for a hacker of the french community to help me.

Quote:

Didn't expect it to be otherwise. If I can translate starting from your work and using your tools it's only natural that it would be a joint project (it seems I didn't make it sound clear in my first post though). By the way, the link to the french project topic is this one: http://www.romhack.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3611.
Another French translator wanted to do a version of one of our previous releases - Feda: The Emblem of Justice. I'm not sure if he is registered on our new board, and I believe he drew our Burning Heroes title page. Does anyone recall his name?

darshg9, perhaps this person who wanted to do a French Feda is someone you and we should both try to contact. I realize now I sort of left him hanging, but I recall him saying that he had people lined up who could handle the French font work and other hacking chores for Feda.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:57 pm 

I'll try to ask if this was someone of our board, but if it will be easier if somebody manage to remind his name. ^^

Edit: I found an old topic where Ti Dragon said Bongo dropped Feda at this time and it seems that FlashPV was interested.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

darshg9 wrote:
I'll try to ask if this was someone of our board, but if it will be easier if somebody manage to remind his name. ^^

Edit: I found an old topic where Ti Dragon said Bongo dropped Feda at this time and it seems that FlashPV was interested.
Yes, FlashPV! He wanted to do a French Feda, and we left him sort of hanging. If you know him and want to contact him maybe and see if he's still interested, perhaps you and he could put together a team to do both games, if you're interested in exploring that idea. Just a thought...

Also, if someone can load a European language font with diacritical markings, Red Soul may yet do a Portuguese Feda. In fact, we might put Red Soul in charge of the tools for both games and eventually release three international patches.

And down the line, Recca may want to do a Romanian Burning Heroes. We really do need to find a way to empower you multi-lingual gamers with the means to do this. Just need to work out the security details, as I said. Also, I believe someone is doing a French Silva-Saga-II. He may have already loaded a European font. Do you happen to know that person, btw?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:34 pm 

Waited a while but I still didn't find someone to do the hacking part for now... :(

By the way, do you have some answers from the members of the englsih translation team?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

darshg9 wrote:
Waited a while but I still didn't find someone to do the hacking part for now... :(

By the way, do you have some answers from the members of the englsih translation team?
We have about a half-dozen games in full production now, some delayed for months. These are tying up all of our time at the moment, but don't be discouraged by that. I have a few ideas to share.

What we need to do is find one person who is able to build the international capitals and lower case letters with diacritical markings into our existing font. We have finally introduced italics to a game for the first time (Aretha-II). Now, if we are able to load international font support, I can see forward progress ahead for Slayers French.

If you are a good French writer, you could probably build most of the French patch yourself. You could take our English files and simply overwrite them with the French. You would follow the same code structure, and you would have some expandability if you wanted or needed it. In addition to the code structure we used to format our English Slayers, you would need codes to display letters with the diacritical markings. In other words, you might not require a French hacker for more than a tiny portion of the game's supporting features.

Being fluent in Portuguese, Red Soul would be the logical tester at our end to iron out the bugs in such a Slayers insertion system having international font support. As I said, I believe we just need someone to step up and build the international font support into our existing insertion system. As of now, all of us are looking for just that individual, but this may take some time.

Meanwhile, please keep in touch.