Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The "in-game" Save Data System seems to be Broken
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:30 pm 

Again, I'm very sorry for posting this bug report even after the patch was released several months ago as like with my play through of Feda I really can't play any games non-stop for being pre occupied with real life stuff which we all agree isn't exactly fun :(

Anyway, I finally got to play Slayers with the latest patch. Actually I had the game re-patched, that is to say I patched a fresh ROM with the latest patch, right after you guys released the latest patch (redundancy at it's finest LOL!) but I hadn't gotten to play through it yet.

Anyhoo...

Early into the game, I decided to "Save" my game in the Goblin's cave as I needed to get away from the Keyboard (AFK) to do something (fix up a snack). After which I turned of my emulator (latest version of snes9x version 1.52 to be exact) to do what I said I was going to do. Later when I loaded my in game save, the screen just went black with Volrun Village's theme playing in the background, any button input didn't do anything, the game seems to freeze at that exact state whenever I load my save data.

Now I thought it was caused by the cheat codes I used during my first play through so I decided to delete every one of the codes then I also deleted the RAM data that the newly patched game created & started a new (fresh) game. I get to the save spot Girl, save my game then I reset & load my saved data & still I get the black screen of death.

So I tried running the game on an older version of snes9x & still the same thing. Thankfully savestates do work, but where's the fun in not being able to create an actual in game save?

Post subject: Re: The "in-game" Save Data System seems to be Broken
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

Please read the documentation that comes with the patch before patching, this issue is covered in detail in that documentation. Long story short, do not play this game on ZSNES or SNES9X. They do not emulate the SNES hardware accurately and it causes issues with this game. Please play this game on BSNES or another more accurate emulator.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:08 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Please read the documentation that comes with the patch before patching, this issue is covered in detail in that documentation. Long story short, do not play this game on ZSNES or SNES9X. They do not emulate the SNES hardware accurately and it cuases issues with this game. Please play this game on BSNES or another more accurate emulator.
But CRV10, try to reload the failed SRM (the one you tried in SNES9x that resulted in a blank screen) in BSNES. If your old SRM roars to life in BSNES, that re-verifies Taskforce's observation. This is how I first determined that ZSNES and SNES9x did not support Slayers fully, because I went through the same evolution while writing the story and trying to help Bongo` debug all of the support features.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:50 am 

Worth noting also that, in case your machine isn't beefy enough to run BSNES decently, you might want to try SnesGT for playing the game
(or any Snes game for that matter), since it emulates games more accurately than all other emulators besides BSNES.
Sadly it hasn't been updated in quite some time, but it doesn't stop it from being a prime choice regardless.

If you are interested, I'll link you up to the latest version, .230.
It's not very easy to find, but adds filter support and quite a few bug fixes compared to the more widely known .218 version;
the only problem being that SnesGT doesn't run zipped roms, but other than that its a great emulator.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:58 am 

Thanks for the replies fellas :)

@taskforce: I have difficulty in using bsnes for two reasons:

1. The interface is kind of confusing.
2. You can't customize the window by dragging on it.

For reason number 1, it took me a few minutes to actually load the ROM as for some reason the emulator could not see my ROM library's content. I had to copy the Slayers ROM onto bsnes's folder before it recognized it. For number 2, the limited window sizes selection is the heaviest factor as I need to play at almost full screen. I have a widescreen monitor so the emulator can never be at full screen mode as the emulator must mentain its aspect ration.

@Wildbill: Despite my issue on window size, I did try what you suggested & yup my save data loaded fine on bsnes so the game's compatibility issue with snes9x is at fault.

@Red Soul: Having confirmed that it is indeed the emulator's limitations causing my issue I think I'll just stick with snes9x with savestates because I've gotten used to it already.

I guess I should report this game compatibility issue at the snes9x forums then as they do welcome such reports.

Again thanks guys.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:52 am 

I just found out that snes9x version 1.53 is out & I immediately tried Slayers on it.

First thing note worthy is that snes9x now uses .zst as the file type for save states or what is now referred to as "snapshots". This is no case for alarm as you can just rename/change the extension name for any older savestates on snes9x 1.52 from .000 (where the last "0" (zero) is the savestate slot used) to .zst or .zs1 to .zs9 for all other savestate slots so snes9x version 1.53 can read/load them as before. SRAM files are compatible as well, so saved games from 1.52 will work for 1.53 but not the inverse.

The most important issue though regarding Slayers is that the in game save system still isn't working on snes9x 1.53, which is fine I guess seeing as you folks have determined that this issues has been around for as long as the emulation community has been around :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:27 am 
Site Admin

If you can't beat em. Clone em.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:11 pm 

Interesting enough, it seems somebody over at snes9x's forums got banned over at Byuu's bsnes site because said person bad mouthed Byuu's comments regarding snes9x:

http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic. ... 9&start=20

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

CRV10 wrote:
Interesting enough, it seems somebody over at snes9x's forums got banned over at Byuu's bsnes site because said person bad mouthed Byuu's comments regarding snes9x:

http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic. ... 9&start=20

Well, I won't comment on if the ban was warranted or not. However, I can say that it wasn't very nice to post only a snippet of Byuu's overall post so that he could completely blow it out of context. If you read the whole post, you understand that the comment is only 1 of a whole list of positive and negative points and that his post just looks like an attempt to start trouble between the two teams.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:12 am 
Site Admin

Although I love Byuu and support all of the great work he does for the community in bringing us accurate emulation, the guy can be a little hot-headed at times. I totally agree with the statements he made about Snes9x, but I don't know if he should be going around banning someone's IP because he/she posted something on another board. :roll:

Anyhoo, it's nice to see another emulator finally being updated!! If only the zsnes team would come out of hibernation. :)