Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Naga clone/double glitch?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:22 pm 

First off, I want to express a hearty "OMGAWESOMETHANKYOU!!1!1!1!1!!!!1!!!" to you guys for finishing a patch for this game - I've played it on and off for years but never completed it (I had a bad ROM that would freeze between the last boss and the end credits, but of course you'd only discover it did that once you got that far to begin with...), also the fact that I could never find that darn key in/near the lake... but anyway, I'm very much looking forward to playing the game again but in English this time, and I'm excited to find a forum where people are discussing the game! Like most people I think, I only ever had that one walkthrough on Gamefaqs to go on, which was fine, but it seems like there's more to the game than just that...

Anyway, I just wanted to post about a glitch I encountered several times in the game, and wondered if anybody else ever had? It seemed quite easy to replicate so I can't imagine I'm the only person to come across it, but then again I never found any discussion about the game to begin with anywhere else.

Basically, it's in... Reddick? Leddick? I'll find out what you went with in the translation when I get that far again, but the guy with the tower right after you get Remi, if I remember right. I don't know if it happened on a specific floor or not, but I found that tower pretty hard and so I died a lot. Most of the time, dying would take me to the doctor's, as usual. Sometimes, however, dying would... take me back to the start of the first dungeon of the game? But with Lina and Remi, and all my stats/items/etc intact. Going through the dungeon again would lead to the boss battle with Naga, would lead to her joining your party like at the start of the game(!)... and then when you get to the world map again, you can head back to the tower and carry on as you would have done before.

The addition of Naga to your party at that point in the game makes things a lot easier (and you can do amusing things like go visit her in the town she left your party just previously...) but, of course, when the time comes for you to get your fourth party member some time later, the game doesn't know what to do (since Naga's not supposed to be there) and... I can't remember if it hangs or if it just doesn't progress but either way, you can't get past that point. So it's not really a glitch you can take full advantage of, but... it's kind of fun to play around with, and I thought it was interesting nonetheless :D

So, um, yes. I hope somebody else found that interesting? :)

Post subject: Re: Naga clone/double glitch?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:43 pm 

That's quite an odd glitch, but considering the dimension of the damage it could cause, I doubt its inherent to the patch.
I never died in Liddick's tower so I never ran across it, but since you brought it to our attention I will look into it, thanks
for reporting this.

Edit: do you, pray tell, have a save before this occurence? it would make testing easier.

Post subject: Re: Naga clone/double glitch?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

Kusachiho wrote:
First off, I want to express a hearty "OMGAWESOMETHANKYOU!!1!1!1!1!!!!1!!!" to you guys for finishing a patch for this game - I've played it on and off for years but never completed it (I had a bad ROM that would freeze between the last boss and the end credits, but of course you'd only discover it did that once you got that far to begin with...), also the fact that I could never find that darn key in/near the lake... but anyway, I'm very much looking forward to playing the game again but in English this time, and I'm excited to find a forum where people are discussing the game! Like most people I think, I only ever had that one walkthrough on Gamefaqs to go on, which was fine, but it seems like there's more to the game than just that...

Anyway, I just wanted to post about a glitch I encountered several times in the game, and wondered if anybody else ever had? It seemed quite easy to replicate so I can't imagine I'm the only person to come across it, but then again I never found any discussion about the game to begin with anywhere else.

Basically, it's in... Reddick? Leddick? I'll find out what you went with in the translation when I get that far again, but the guy with the tower right after you get Remi, if I remember right. I don't know if it happened on a specific floor or not, but I found that tower pretty hard and so I died a lot. Most of the time, dying would take me to the doctor's, as usual. Sometimes, however, dying would... take me back to the start of the first dungeon of the game? But with Lina and Remi, and all my stats/items/etc intact. Going through the dungeon again would lead to the boss battle with Naga, would lead to her joining your party like at the start of the game(!)... and then when you get to the world map again, you can head back to the tower and carry on as you would have done before.

The addition of Naga to your party at that point in the game makes things a lot easier (and you can do amusing things like go visit her in the town she left your party just previously...) but, of course, when the time comes for you to get your fourth party member some time later, the game doesn't know what to do (since Naga's not supposed to be there) and... I can't remember if it hangs or if it just doesn't progress but either way, you can't get past that point. So it's not really a glitch you can take full advantage of, but... it's kind of fun to play around with, and I thought it was interesting nonetheless :D

So, um, yes. I hope somebody else found that interesting? :)
I am guessing this happened in that same ROM that hung just before your ending credits. If so, was it a purely Japanese ROM, or did you patch it with either Filler's or Robert Boyd's early menu work?

Second, do you recall if you had any cheat codes loaded? We have observed with other games and patches that oftentimes a game will behave very strangely whenever cheat codes are loaded. Personally, I have observed this problem with Feda and Mystic Ark.

Finally, as Red Soul mentioned in another thread, many of the ROMs that people download these days have been altered in various ways. We used a "pure" ROM in our Slayers work, however, and that may account for the fact that to my knowledge none of our team has encountered anything such as you described with Naga. I also own imported game cartridges of the projects we do. In the past, whenever we've had issues building an English game, I have sometimes dumped fresh images to use as "mother" ROMs for our work.

At any rate, I have played this game three times now and have yet to experience a hang or irrecoverable error since the first play - while Bongo` was still writing new assembly codes for various features.

Welcome to the board. Indeed, use this vehicle to your heart's content to share your experiences and enhance the quality of your game play.