Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Post subject: I found a text glitch early on in the game
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:34 am 

First off, I want to thank you nice folk for this Fan Translation patch for the game ;)

I'm also a big fan of the Anime back in the day & just like with the Sailormoon & Rayearth games, I highly consider this Slayers RPG as an awesome gem :)

Anyway, I started playing as soon as I found out via RHDN about this patch & let me tell you that I love how you did the fan translation.

However, as there is yet to be a "bugs report" topic on this section, I decided to put this one up as I found one early on.

It's when you "find" & speak to the fortune teller/soothesayer at Johannes town. As soon as you speak to her, her dialogue gets smooshed in with the "yes & no" option to her question if you want your fortune told:

If you need information on which emulator I got this bug, it's the latest version of snes9x, version 1.52.

Post subject: Re: I found a text glitch early on in the game
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:01 am 
Site Admin

CRV10 wrote:
First off, I want to thank you nice folk for this Fan Translation patch for the game ;)

I'm also a big fan of the Anime back in the day & just like with the Sailormoon & Rayearth games, I highly consider this Slayers RPG as an awesome gem :)

Anyway, I started playing as soon as I found out via RHDN about this patch & let me tell you that I love how you did the fan translation.

However, as there is yet to be a "bugs report" topic on this section, I decided to put this one up as I found one early on.

It's when you "find" & speak to the fortune teller/soothesayer at Johannes town. As soon as you speak to her, her dialogue gets smooshed in with the "yes & no" option to her question if you want your fortune told:

If you need information on which emulator I got this bug, it's the latest version of snes9x, version 1.52.
We expected some more of these occurrences. During testing, we tried to trigger every combination of encounters and variables, but our team is small in number. If it's not too much trouble, could you please upload a save-state just prior to encountering the fortune teller in this scene? Also, did your text break up this way on your PC? We appreciate your time and this report.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:16 am 

It is most likely an emulation rendering issue, but it would be a nice touch if we could fix that when 1.01 is released.
That said, I'll be glad to test once the savestate becomes avaliable just so the issue's origin can be established.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:30 am 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
It is most likely an emulation rendering issue, but it would be a nice touch if we could fix that when 1.01 is released.
That said, I'll be glad to test once the savestate becomes avaliable just so the issue's origin can be established.

Good, he's using Snes9x. I believe the debugger supports that version. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:34 am 
Site Admin

CRV10 wrote:

Isn't there a 'Cursor' Missing in that picture? W/B, you think the cursor is overwritting the text
and messing it up or is it some thing else?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:37 am 

Yeah there should be an arrow cursor there. I noticed such thing happened before when using Snes9x in my initial playthrough.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:42 am 

I think the issues with this might have been introduced with the new shadowing on the font. I do remember talking to the fortune teller on the old patches on both of my playthroughs without any issue during beta-testing but I think on my second playthrough I was already past this point before the introduction of the shadow font. I went back to an old save state with one of the newer .99 files and it is glitchy for me too although not in the same way. The Yes/No option is below the text but the cursor points 2 lines above. I have a picture of it along with a save state if anyone wants it.

I did just download version 1.0 and patched it but it doesn't work on SNES9x 1.51 for me. Could it be a header thing? But I'm going to try BSNES when I have my laptop back.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:43 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
CRV10 wrote:

We expected some more of these occurrences. During testing, we tried to trigger every combination of encounters and variables, but our team is small in number. If it's not too much trouble, could you please upload a save-state just prior to encountering the fortune teller in this scene? Also, did your text break up this way on your PC? We appreciate your time and this report.
Oh, please disregard my first post. You do not need to send us any files. This is a string formatting error that caused a glitch that any and all of us should have caught. We can fix and re-test this scene quite easily. I have added this to the very small archive of reports since release (including one I found myself in the Crimson City Bonus game dialogue this morning).

We will likely release V1.01 in about two weeks, after players have ample opportunities to find any more undetected issues. Again, thank you for starting this thread. After 24 hours, I was beginning to worry that we had created a perfect game! We will also enjoy hearing your further impressions on game play as you proceed. BTW, are you an anime fan, an RPG-lover, or both?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:47 am 

ultpaladin wrote:
I think the issues with this might have been introduced with the new shadowing on the font. I do remember talking to the fortune teller on the old patches on both of my playthroughs without any issue during beta-testing but I think on my second playthrough I was already past this point before the introduction of the shadow font. I went back to an old save state with one of the newer .99 files and it is glitchy for me too although not in the same way. The Yes/No option is below the text but the cursor points 2 lines above. I have a picture of it along with a save state if anyone wants it.

I did just download version 1.0 and patched it but it doesn't work on SNES9x 1.51 for me. Could it be a header thing? But I'm going to try BSNES when I have my laptop back.

Just thought I'd point out the rom should be headerless, if that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:50 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
CRV10 wrote:

Isn't there a 'Cursor' Missing in that picture? W/B, you think the cursor is overwritting the text
and messing it up or is it some thing else?
First, the cursor usually disappears with screen saves. Second, this is an un-triggered scene (no one found the fortune teller at this early stage), so I failed to indent the Yes/No lines. Third, I need to reformat the compound string so that we have a [key] command or empty line to make everything align correctly. If we still have screen bugs after I accomplish all of this and re-test, it comes to you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next