Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: How will Beta Testing work for this game?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:22 am 

Wildbill wrote:
alexander_13 wrote:
Thanks Wildbill to let us help you with this game, also I'm going to use snes9x and then I will post some pics if I find some errors in the dialog if that's ok ;) .
And also I will follow the guide of gamefaqs http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/574852/5401 by Steven Bruck.
So thanks again for the oportunity :D .
In that case, if you don't mind running SNES9x V1.43, that would work out well for Bongo` in the event you uncover a glitch that needs debugging. With save-states from SNES9x V1.43, he can troubleshoot in real time and fix problems a lot faster sometimes.

On that note, there is a S9XD built around the 1.51 codebase, and soon one with the 1.52 codebase. Apparently the debugging functions were refined as well
so if the team is keen on using that even for normal gameplay, I'd like to know before we start in earnest to avoid deviation of efforts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:50 am 

I tried using BSNES on the computer I usually play games on and its pretty slow. I do have a laptop but I share it with my girlfriend (we don't live together) and I would think it could handle BSNES but I would have it only intermittently and on weekends probably. If I want to have that laptop more often I will probably have to come up with a better excuse than wanting to play a 20 year old RPG lol. I usually use SNES9x 1.51 but I am always open to suggestions. In the past I used ZSNES.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:58 am 

I would like to suggest SnesGT to be put into consideration. I found it very pleasant to use, and its more accurate than Zsnes and Snes9x from what I've seen
as well as lower spec than BSNES.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:44 pm 

I'm using 1.51 version of Snes9x and the lastest version is 1.52 ;) .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:43 pm 

What I tried pointing out is it would be best if everyone used the same emulator during the beta testing phase..I supose I shouldn't delay this any longer
and I'll have to concede in using S9XD, much to my dismay...anyhow, please read the guidelines I posted on my thead and see if you agree to them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:34 am 
Red Soul wrote:
What I tried pointing out is it would be best if everyone used the same emulator during the beta testing phase..I supose I shouldn't delay this any longer
and I'll have to concede in using S9XD, much to my dismay...anyhow, please read the guidelines I posted on my thead and see if you agree to them.

Isn't it better to use BSNES for beta tests, even with higher PC requirements ?

I mean, all that talk about Mystic Ark patch not working on real hardware was a big headache. It would be very sad to read more of those type of comments.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:08 am 

Yes its a good point but I believe BSNES is a bit too heavy for some of the team's testers hardware, so I was trying to settle for the next best option.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:27 am 

So guys, let's settle this quickly, as progress has been stalled long enough and I need to organize our efforts.
Let's default the work file name to SlayersE and if Snes9X Debugger is really the choice for most of the testing
let's make sure everyone is using M10R2 (latest) to avoid incompatibilites.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:22 am 
Site Admin

Lalakoboldslayer wrote:
Red Soul wrote:

Isn't it better to use BSNES for beta tests, even with higher PC requirements ?

I mean, all that talk about Mystic Ark patch not working on real hardware was a big headache. It would be very sad to read more of those type of comments.
I write stories using ZSNES 151 because it is the writer's best friend. Hot buttons get me in and out of insertion and testing modes with lightning speed and increases my efficiency. Less lag time helps my concentration, too. However, I've been checking the game right along with BSNES, and it IS compatible. In fact, BSNES may be MORE compatible with Slayers than ZSNES or SNES9x, because Minna the Save Girl (simulated battery SRAM saves) may be an unsupported feature with this game in the older engines. This means you may be forced to beta test using only save-states for resuming your game play. But for the first beta tests, it's more important that we give Bongo` reports using save-states that work in an emulator with real-time debugging capabilities. I'm sure at least one of us will perform a final test on BSNES.

BTW, I transferred an SRM from ZSNES to BSNES, was able to "Continue" my game, and defeat the final boss using BSNES. I believe our compatibility will be fine except - ironically - on the old favorite emulators. So far, we can't get the save feature to work with the Japanese ROM either. In a few weeks, I will be re-duming the Slayers ROM and conducting additional tests on the older emulators, but we may not be able to resolve this without support from emulator authors. The same issue came up with Hourai High School years ago, but we got immediate support back then from a still active ZSNES team. Dark Force (who has left the scene) and our own Taskforce was instrumental in that effort.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:35 am 

Speaking of save RAM, did you ever get my report on that Bill?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next