Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: Record Of Lodoss War Post Release Feedback
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:08 am 

Congrats and thank you for the great release guys!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
DoubleDvideogames wrote:
Hi, it is stated in the reade you need 2,621, 952 but all I can find after, like ten attempts, is mostly 2.621,440. So close yet so far. I know, after patching in the past, the slightest difference matters. Can anyone help me please?

CONGRATS on what is surely to be another job well done. Look forward to getting this sorted!

Thank you, DoubleDvideogames. Lodoss does have quite a long history and we are happy to bring the game to the community as well as fulfilling what we firmly believe would be LNF's wishes as well. I assume that you are having problems patching. I actually believe I was remiss in mentioning in the readme that the ROM should have its header removed before the patch is applied, that must be why you are stumped there.

Edit: Then again a header present would yield a larger size than the one you are getting. Maybe try patching from different sources?

Edit 2: Also is this difference being shown between the "size" and "size on disk" fields?

Now that you mention it, I find the size you gave odd too Red Soul. The size of a 2.5MB rom without header is indeed 2,621,440 not 2,621,952. If the required rom is 2,621,952 then it should have a header (or had a header that was improperly blanked instead of being removed.)

That being said, I have a rom that is 2,621,440 that patches just fine. And that also shouldn't happen if yours does have a size of 2,621,952, as that would put everything in the IPS 512 bytes out of place. I wonder if the rom you worked from has 512 0'd bytes at the end to replace the removed header.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:25 am 

True, those sizes are quirky somehow. I didn't alter the build package in any way when it comes to the base ROM, be it the file itself or header removal. I'll run a few tests to see if I can pinpoint the problem. Perhaps I even misread the sizes themselves, I'll also check on that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
True, those sizes are quirky somehow. I didn't alter the build package in any way when it comes to the base ROM, be it the file itself or header removal. I'll run a few tests to see if I can pinpoint the problem. Perhaps I even misread the sizes themselves, I'll also check on that.

I just did more investigating on my end. My rom which is 2,621,440 has the same checksums as the one you list in the readme. So something is definitely amiss, however if you find a rom that is 2,621,440 with those checksums. You have the right rom it appears. It patches just fine.

And sorry, not really blaming you for it, just find it kind of odd. I know you were just giving the info of the working rom.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:41 am 

Oh no, it's no blame game ^.^ I'm glad you caught this, TF. Would feel silly to have something like that happen at the end of the assembly line, so we ought to iron it out quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:46 am 

It has come to my attention that I actually put the incorrect unpatched file size in the read me. It should read
(2.621.440 bytes) in the file properties. As the readme states, it should NOT contain a header.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:54 pm 

Red Soul wrote:
It has come to my attention that I actually put the incorrect unpatched file size in the read me. It should read
(2.621.440 bytes) in the file properties. As the readme states, it should NOT contain a header.

Also the current readme that accompanies the patch file was now updated to correct the file size; the patch itself has no issues of any kind, I just had the numbers jumbled.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:50 pm 

just finish the 2nd chapter... great work everyone. Never been a fan of Lodoss, but they are very interesting chapters so far. its really keeping my interest jumping from person to person, I'm assuming each chapter follows the lives to the warriors that defeated the demon king. anyways, great job to all involved this masterpiece is super polished and fun as hell. thank you so much!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Jhutch321 wrote:
just finish the 2nd chapter... great work everyone. Never been a fan of Lodoss, but they are very interesting chapters so far. its really keeping my interest jumping from person to person, I'm assuming each chapter follows the lives to the warriors that defeated the demon king. anyways, great job to all involved this masterpiece is super polished and fun as hell. thank you so much!! :D
Thanks, Jhutch321. While delving into the game structure itself, I quickly discovered that Lodoss had all of the RPG elements that many of us enjoy. However, in researching translated material of related Lodoss media, I found much of the fan-generated works rather puerile, needful of coherency, and sadly lacking in the literary department. This is probably a contributing reason why you have not become enamored with Lodoss. Much of it comes across as overly campy.

The story aspect in this particular game serves as an allegory to the inevitability of armed conflict, along with the repetitive futility of said warfare. The chapter approach humanizes the characters and allows a player to clearly identify with their worldviews and even come to accept the validity of the logic that drives their behavior. Unfortunately, when differences in their attitudes become diametrically opposed and their actions lead to irreconcilable conflicts, everyone suffers. However, the real tragedy occurs when a seemingly omnipotent force in the background steps into the fray and chooses to play God with everyone's life.

We're actually seeing a similar scenario unfold on the world scene this very moment - the subjugation of a sovereign nation by a would-be emperor who looks to join the ranks of Adolph Hitler and Vladimir Lenin - or even Josef Stalin, who (according to the highly acclaimed British historian Robert Conquest), murdered up to 70 million of his own countrymen in order to maintain and expand the evil Soviet Empire with his gulag archipelago and an iron curtain of enslavement around all of eastern Europe.

It appears that Planet Earth in on the verge of becoming a repetitive Lodoss-writ-large itself - with yet another megalomaniacal leader of a nation that is not content to remain within its own borders.

Yep, art imitates life - or death, as the case may be.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:43 am 

It's sad, but there will always be another Hitler or Stalin that will spring up somewhere. Warmongers, control freaks... they existed (and exist) in many packages, even within the so called civilized nations both of yore and now.
Iran's Ahmadinejad, Egypt's Hosni Mubarak, North Korea's Kim Jong-un... the list goes on. Everyone wants to pull the strings tighter than the next guy and exercise and assert control.
When military control exists it is often accompanied by economic control. Leaders rarely weigh their consciences when sitting around their pristine alabaster palaces.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next