Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post subject: Re: What's needed for completion.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:45 am 
Site Admin

Gru?? Darn, I'm so cut-off from American pop-culture.

Nice to hear about the progress Ein! I look forward to testing it out in-game (if Bongo` will let me ;))

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:31 pm 

Well, I finished playing through the game and the script is done!

I have to say, the ending
Spoiler! :
was kind of a letdown. Karla is the final boss, and I was expecting the game to cover the entire OVA. I read somewhere that there were five scenarios, but there are only four, Parn's being the last.

I also wish Beld's scenario was longer because it was my favorite. Say what you want about the dark emperor, but he's a Grade A badass. :D

What's more, I'm curious as to whether this game was a port from another system because of the banner around the screen (this is really common in older games); it also seems like there were some things that didn't make it into the finished product.

Anyway, I hope to see this game get hacked soon. I'll provide any further translation support if needed. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

You sure you're not a robot? That was extremely fast. Thanks for the support Eien. Can't wait to get a chance to play this myself. And btw, from what Bongo` has said, it almost certainly sounds like a port from another system. It has a dos file system inside the rom.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:22 pm 

According to GF's the dev was Hummingbird Soft who just happened to do a bunch of Lodoss War games for the MSX and Sharp X68000.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:26 pm 

taskforce wrote:
You sure you're not a robot? That was extremely fast. Thanks for the support Eien. Can't wait to get a chance to play this myself. And btw, from what Bongo` has said, it almost certainly sounds like a port from another system. It has a dos file system inside the rom.

Most of the main text was already translated by LNF, so that made things go a lot faster. :)

Garrett wrote:
According to GF's the dev was Hummingbird Soft who just happened to do a bunch of Lodoss War games for the MSX and Sharp X68000.

Interesting. I have a hunch that it was ported from the X68k version, so I might try playing the X68k one out of curiosity.

There's a tutorial in the SNES script that says you can use Stealth, Attack, or Magic abilities to unlock doors and stuff, but I didn't encounter anything like that in-game. There's also an "Unlock" spell that isn't actually available in the game, from what I could tell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:45 am 
Site Admin

Ah, this is great news! Thank you very much for all your hard work Eien Ni Hen. I'm sure that Wildbill will be thrilled to hear of this as well. By the way, for the NPC dialogue, did you use honorifics as LNF did in the main script translation? LNF's partial patch often had parts in the text with name titles such as "Beld-sama". Hm, I wonder if we should leave them as is, remove them, or change them to English titles; "Lord Beld", etc.? Personally, I don't mind either way, but I know that there's some people who don't like the use of honorifics in English translations.

If I recall correctly, I remember reading somewhere that Record of Lodoss War had a similar game engine as another Snes game called Dark Half (as in the battle and cave navigation screens which are different than the standard town/world map screen that exists in most other RPGs as well; Final Fantasy).

It's been quite a long while since I last played this game, but I remember Beld and Pahn's scenarios being shorter than Karla and Parn's.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:20 am 

Recca wrote:
By the way, for the NPC dialogue, did you use honorifics as LNF did in the main script translation? LNF's partial patch often had parts in the text with name titles such as "Beld-sama". Hm, I wonder if we should leave them as is, remove them, or change them to English titles; "Lord Beld", etc.? Personally, I don't mind either way, but I know that there's some people who don't like the use of honorifics in English translations.

If I recall correctly, I remember reading somewhere that Record of Lodoss War had a similar game engine as another Snes game called Dark Half (as in the battle and cave navigation screens which are different than the standard town/world map screen that exists in most other RPGs as well; Final Fantasy).

I am one of those people who don't like honorifics in English translations. :) Unless the game is specifically set in Japan, honorifics look unprofessional in an English script, in my opinion. So I changed "Beld-sama" to "Lord Beld" and whatnot.

It's funny that you mention Dark Half, because I played through and did a translation for that game as well. The game play mechanics are pretty similar to Lodoss War, but the story is very, very different.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:00 am 
Site Admin

Eien Ni Hen wrote:
Recca wrote:
By the way, for the NPC dialogue, did you use honorifics as LNF did in the main script translation? LNF's partial patch often had parts in the text with name titles such as "Beld-sama". Hm, I wonder if we should leave them as is, remove them, or change them to English titles; "Lord Beld", etc.? Personally, I don't mind either way, but I know that there's some people who don't like the use of honorifics in English translations.

I am one of those people who don't like honorifics in English translations. :) Unless the game is specifically set in Japan, honorifics look unprofessional in an English script, in my opinion. So I changed "Beld-sama" to "Lord Beld" and whatnot.

It's funny that you mention Dark Half, because I played through and did a translation for that game as well. The game play mechanics are pretty similar to Lodoss War, but the story is very, very different.

I think its also best to follow the established professional translations that came out in the US so fans don't clamor. And those didn't have honorifics. And I agree with you Eien, having them in translations set outside of Japan doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:01 am 
Site Admin

Wow, thanks Ein! I've been waiting for something new to mess with.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Eien! You are the best. In fact, you way beyond the call of duty. :)
You even translated the text in a way where I don't have to figure out how to insert
the text back the game. This game uses S-Jsi ASCII characters and if I used standard
ASCII characters, the game would crash like an alien spaceship in Independence Day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next