Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: Bongo`, I was just wondering...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:00 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Recca wrote:
Thanks for bring up this game Wildbill, the sentiment is very much appreciated! This is one of my favorite games of all time, as I'm also a fan of the anime series (too bad it's so short though). The main story has been translated in that partial patch released by LNF a lot time ago. So all that's left is the NPC dialogue and misc text (items, spells, etc.). I could work on the misc files like I did with BH, but I don't think that I'm good enough yet to take on the NPC text...

The style in which the main script was translated contains Japanese honorifics. I was thinking, should we keep it as is or translate them in English? As in having "Lord Beld" instead of "Beld-sama"? I personally wouldn't mind either way, both ways are fine in my opinion.

This sure is an interesting and great game. The characters and story are very nice. The graphics and music is also superb. Record of Lodoss War along with Burning Heroes are two of the best games on the Snes in my honest opinion.

Well, just speaking from what I'd like to see. I'd prefer the Lord Bald over the honorifics. The reason for this is the feel of this series always felt more western to me than Japanese. And considering this happens on a fantasy world on a fantasy island. Keeping the Japanese flavor isn't really that big a sticking point. Westernizing it will probably make westerners more in tuned with the story.
I agree with TF. HHS is a good game to keep the culture attuned to Persona-style usages, but I will defer to consensus. Lord Bald is funny, as I try to picture him. Maybe we should give him a first name, too, such as Ironic!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:06 am 
Site Admin

Here's an image of all the main characters that I made a long while back:
Attachment:
Record of Lodoss War characters.PNG
Record of Lodoss War characters.PNG [ 137.23 KiB | Viewed 12926 times ]

I love the .png image format! It's the same high quality as .bmp, but takes far less space!

Edit: Now that I think about it, should the name Rion be left as is, or changed to Lion as I did in the image above...?

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:41 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Here's an image of all the main characters that I made a long while back:
Attachment:
Record%20of%20Lodoss%20War%20characters.PNG

I love the .png image format! It's the same high quality as .bmp, but takes far less space!

Edit: Now that I think about it, should the name Rion be left as is, or changed to Lion as I did in the image above...?

I don't particulary like either but I'm not so sure that leaving it Rion wouldn't be a better choice. BTW: Deedlet is a High Elf. Yes, it is more a status than a type but she'd damn well kick your ass if you didn't distinguish that :P

And yeah, that was a typo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

GREAT! :evil: Damn game stores text as Offsets. ie: 'A' = $8340. This value is used to access a compressed font file that contains about 12 characters. the bottom nibble of the value is used as the index to the font character in the decompressed buffer. If anything, this MUST be changed first!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
GREAT! :evil: Damn game stores text as Offsets. ie: 'A' = $8340. This value is used to access a compressed font file that contains about 12 characters. the bottom nibble of the value is used as the index to the font character in the decompressed buffer. If anything, this MUST be changed first!
Heh, Bongo`... I love it when you talk dirty this way!

(Okay, now send in the interpreter for the other applicant who speaks only the southern Negev dialect of Aramaic...!)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:53 am 

Oh god, that's *nasty.*

Basically, if I understand correctly, here's what it's doing:

You have several (perhaps dozens of) files in the game which contain compressed font tiles. Each printed character is stored as a two byte value; in the example case, 8340. Of this value, the 834 references one of the (perhaps dozens of) compressed files in the game. The 0 references a font tile *in* that file. Real nasty stuff.

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:09 am 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
Oh god, that's *nasty.*

You have several (perhaps dozens of) files in the game which contain compressed font tiles. Each printed character is stored as a two byte value; in the example case, 8340. Of this value, the 834 references one of the (perhaps dozens of) compressed files in the game. The 0 references a font tile *in* that file. Real nasty stuff.

yes, yes, hell yes! I believe herakles 4 does the same thing. cpu heavy code IMHO...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:23 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Gideon Zhi wrote:
Oh god, that's *nasty.*

yes, yes, hell yes! I believe herakles 4 does the same thing. cpu heavy code IMHO...
Okay, how will you change it? Do you have an idea that will make it less stressful on the processor?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:27 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
Gideon Zhi wrote:
Oh god, that's *nasty.*

Okay, how will you change it? Do you have an idea that will make it less stressful on the processor?

Re-write the text and font engine to use strictly ROM data. ASCII characters do not need all the space.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:20 pm 

Heck this is all greek to me, but as long as Bongo's the man on the job, its bound to work.
Good luck Bongo' ^.^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next