Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Post subject: Re: Hacking This Game
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

Beautiful, Garrett! Good work! You coders always amaze me how you can reverse-engineer this data. I count about 16 CPL.

Looks like I'd better order that full copy of the Ro3K novel, start researching, and taking notes. I want to find a translation version that matches the period dialect that Musashi established in our NES story as closely as possible. Then, I'll need to condense it to a truncated form and try to keep everything from sounding stilted - unless - you end up expanding the text storage space some way and I can add continuation screens here and there before the routine calls up the next string in a scene. I'm expecting this story to overlap a lot with both NES versions.

BTW, since Garrett has gotten this far, we've discussed this as possibly being a joint project with Garrett and D-D. Fine by me.

Where's Wayne? He wanted this before he turned 60. Wayne, are you 59? Hmmm... Age doesn't matter, pal. It's what's inside your head that counts.

Garrett wrote:
I've successfully bypassed the compression. But I've only got the font finished and I'll need to tinker with the title screen.

The graphics code was quite tricky with lots of trial and error. My goal was to disassemble the original routine and make an alternate routine in the expanded ROM that's basically the same as the original minus the compression part.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:13 am 

So far I've successfully bypassed and am now loading uncompressed font and title screen tiles. All that's left is to load uncompressed title screen data and I'll be done with that part. Then I'll have a friend design me some title screens with one based off the NES game and the other with an alternate title of Devour the Heavens and Earth. And after that I'll move onto working on inserting everything.

Yes Bill, when I hack a game, I really hack a game. There will be at least twice the original space available for the text. I will also hack all the interfaces so that nothing has to use abbreviations or icons due to screen space.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:34 am 
Site Admin

This is all really good news! Glad to see another game making progress.

It's just too bad that I won't be testing it out. I can't really get into playing GB games.. They just... look... well, terrible to my eyes! I've been too spoiled by all the pretty games we have nowadays to ever go back to GB or even GBColor. Heck! I can hardly stomach playing NES games anymore. I hope this never happens to SNES games :(

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:13 am 
Site Admin

Well, take care of those peepers because most of these SNES games are replay-able. Fortunately, when my eyes hold up, I get so lost in a good story, I forget where I am and what platform I'm viewing.

BTW, 4ph wants to do CS French. He did Silva Saga-II French a year ago and has proven himself to be a good partner. I have forwarded his request.

Draken wrote:
This is all really good news! Glad to see another game making progress.

It's just too bad that I won't be testing it out. I can't really get into playing GB games.. They just... look... well, terrible to my eyes! I've been too spoiled by all the pretty games we have nowadays to ever go back to GB or even GBColor. Heck! I can hardly stomach playing NES games anymore. I hope this never happens to SNES games :(

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:31 am 
Site Admin

Oh... Wow...! Why are so many good things happening to "Garrett Translations" and D-D right now?

BTW, when we do announce, I will need a link to your website again so I can get everything right. Your call, when we announce, after we get the blessings of the others on the joint project. FYI, I will be flying across the country next week, but eventually I'll get wired up again - unless the fish are biting! I imagine you'll need a week or two or three, whatever, to vet the script anyway. But I move around a lot and get distracted easily by various interests here 'n' there. Sometimes I miss a day or two before I can respond to folks.

Garrett wrote:
So far I've successfully bypassed and am now loading uncompressed font and title screen tiles. All that's left is to load uncompressed title screen data and I'll be done with that part. Then I'll have a friend design me some title screens with one based off the NES game and the other with an alternate title of Devour the Heavens and Earth. And after that I'll move onto working on inserting everything.

Yes Bill, when I hack a game, I really hack a game. There will be at least twice the original space available for the text. I will also hack all the interfaces so that nothing has to use abbreviations or icons due to screen space.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

You have my blessing.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:23 pm 

I won't have everything ready until sometime this summer I think. So it'll be a while.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:52 am 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
I won't have everything ready until sometime this summer I think. So it'll be a while.
Okay, fair winds and following seas as you navigate this translation to the promised land!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:35 pm 

So I've hacked the intro and the text screen after the title screen will soon be hacked. A surprising development is that the main dialogue font uses a different method for decompression. So I'll need to figure that out later.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:37 am 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
So I've hacked the intro and the text screen after the title screen will soon be hacked. A surprising development is that the main dialogue font uses a different method for decompression. So I'll need to figure that out later.

I'm not surprised that something new came up in the coding to add to the challenges. I enjoy hearing your progress reports. Hopefully, it won't be too much trouble. In the meantime, I have plenty to keep me occupied. Appreciate your work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next