Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
Post subject: Re: Progress
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
It's done after the "room-reviving" lesson. It should be a pretty easy one to get through...
Try reading Dag's FAQ over at gamefaqs if you're having problems. He tells you exactly what you need to do to get through the lesson.
Okay, I sent a text file update. Lecture is polished. The master gave me good news at the end, hee-hee...!

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

***SPOILER***

Drakee, I have a tiny edit in CSeed_160.rtf.

This string:

.TEXT.OPEN
My student...[wait$02] I have[newl]
nothing left to teach[newl]
you.
.TEXT.CLOSE
.TEXTBOX.STYLE [$0E]

Modify to:

.TEXT.OPEN
My student...[wait$02] I have[newl]
nothing left to teach[newl]
you at this time.
.TEXT.CLOSE
.TEXTBOX.STYLE [$0E]

***SPOILER***

Reviewing Scenario 1, obviously, the Master has much left to teach, not the least of which includes the mysteries of Feng Shui!

The way I ended that string implies the Master may fade into oblivion and leave the young Dousen to struggle alone.

Let me know if I can peck away at Scenario 1 text blocks over the next two weeks without crossing trails with your work. I'd hate to fall "behind" my desired pace on this work.

Last edited by Wildbill on Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:20 am 

I think the master coming back later is supposed to be a surprise, no?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:37 am 
Site Admin

Heh. Dag IS the expert :)

btw- WB, we can't really both be working on the game at the same time. I know for sure that some text files used in Scenario 1 are also called on later in the game... If you want me to lay off while you finish S1, then let me know, and I will... But I want you to wait, though, until I send you my (slight) changes to the work you did on the Lecture.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:15 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Heh. Dag IS the expert :)

btw- WB, we can't really both be working on the game at the same time. I know for sure that some text files used in Scenario 1 are also called on later in the game... If you want me to lay off while you finish S1, then let me know, and I will... But I want you to wait, though, until I send you my (slight) changes to the work you did on the Lecture.
SPOILER - What Dag may be saying is that the Master's re-entry in Scenario 1 is supposed to come as a total surprise in the "additional training department". If that is the case, then the Master should say, "Ive taught you all I can." If not, the "for now" may be added, as I suggested above. Please clarify, Dag.

Yeah, let me poke at this thing here and there over the holidays. I think we need to push this one forward because of Bongo`'s amazing work. It's more important than my BH refinements and the A-II Intro at this time. Heck, I can do all three games off and on. I'll work on CS when I get a good block of time and the other two when I have just a half hour or so.

As for your edits to Lecture, why don't I just hold off until I get the updated files from you, then I'll resume work on Scenario 1.

How's that sound? SPOILER - Let us know, Dag, if we should should play coy at the end of Lecture about the Master's continued training in Scenario 1. (You probably know what kind of additional training I'm talking about!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:21 am 
Site Admin

Alright! There you have it folks! WildBill's pushing forward with CS :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:06 am 
Site Admin

You don't have to put them there. Put them in the original post title. Save yourself headaches :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:43 am 

Wildbill wrote:
SPOILER - What Dag may be saying is that the Master's re-entry in Scenario 1 is supposed to come as a total surprise in the "additional training department". If that is the case, then the Master should say, "Ive taught you all I can." If not, the "for now" may be added, as I suggested above. Please clarify, Dag.

Well it's just I feel that a "for now/at this time" adds extra foreshadowing that wasn't there.
In the original the player might think "ok so he's gone and no more tutorials, thank goodness", but later "surprise! there was more".
But minor nitpicking really, use whatever you feel right.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Dag wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

Well it's just I feel that a "for now/at this time" adds extra foreshadowing that wasn't there.
In the original the player might think "ok so he's gone and no more tutorials, thank goodness", but later "surprise! there was more".
But minor nitpicking really, use whatever you feel right.
Foreshadowing is always tricky for a writer (and oftentimes decided by a New York editor). You dance a tightrope between building suspense and blowing a subplot. I'll let everyone weigh in.

Post subject: Re: Progress *** SPOILERS INSIDE ***
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Either way, it still sounds good, but I would personally go with Wildbill's edit. In my opinion, it doesn't necessarily suggest that the Master will come back to teach the Hero something new any time soon, but rather that he didn't teach him everything he knows. The Master is quite elderly and didn't come to acquire all this knowledge in only a day or two, so it's obvious that he only taught the Hero only what was important at that time. Well, that's at least my take on it.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next