Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post subject: Re: Chaos Seed Feedback!
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:56 am 
Site Admin

I know there was a tester at one point (who dropped off the face of the Earth) who was playing the game on real hardware without any problem at all. I'm not sure exactly what sort of peripheral/flashcart he was using, so I don't know how much help I can be. :(

Maybe he'll pop by and have some words of wisdom for us.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:37 pm 

Thanks for the responses guys. Hopefully that tester can let me know how exactly he managed to play on real hardware. The cart I'm using is the tototek super flash, and from my understanding it directly "flashes" the rom onto the cart. I think the rom size is larger than what the flash cart is expecting, but I may be off on that. I'm not very familiar with romhacking, but apparently the rom size is part of the header?

Quote:
.BANK 0 SLOT 0
; === Cartridge Header - part 2 - =====================
.ORG $7FD6 + HEADER_OFF
.DB $00 ; Contents ( $00 = ROM only, $01 = ROM and RAM, $02 = ROM and Save RAM)
.DB $08 ; ROM Size ( $08 = 2 Mbit, $09 = 4 Mbit, $0A = 8Mbit, $0B = 16Mbit ... etc )
.DB $00 ; SRAM Size ( $00 = 0 bits, $01 = 16 kbits, $02 = 32 kbits, $03 = 64 kbits )
.DB $01 ; Country ( $01 = USA )
.DB $00 ; Licensee Code
.DB $00 ; Version
.DW $0000 ; Checksum Complement (not calculated ... but who cares?)
.DW $0000 ; Checksum

I was trying to find a simple way to change the value for rom size using ucon64 or snestool but couldn't figure it out. I'll look into it more later today, I also couldn't find very concrete information on the web. If someone could recommend a better application/tool for doing this it'd be very appreciated? I'll check over on the romhacking forums as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:27 pm 

Hey guys, just an update on my problem. It's solved :)

I think I was just using some bad rom dumps. I used that nsrt frontend software you mentioned in the readme to find the correct rom dump, and everything worked out great.

Also, I finished the first scenario/chapter after the tutorial last night. All I can say is WOW!!!! There are few other games that pull off a multiple genres this well. Dungeon crawler / action-rpg / RTS / monster raising... it's a pretty amazing game, and just 7% into the game I think it's going to be one of my all time favorites.

That being said, thank you SO much for translating this game. At first I thought - How could this amazing game not be translated yet?? But then I realized just how complicated and text heavy the game was. It's got to be one of the most complex games on the snes atleast.

So yeah, Thanks a million for this!!

PS. I'd love to help out with any of your upcoming projects as well. I can test on actual hardware if that helps.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Great! I'm glad to hear that you got it working and that you are enjoying the experience. It's always a good idea to the check the checksum of your rom before applying a patch ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

poponon wrote:
Hey guys, just an update on my problem. It's solved :)

I think I was just using some bad rom dumps. I used that nsrt frontend software you mentioned in the readme to find the correct rom dump, and everything worked out great.

Also, I finished the first scenario/chapter after the tutorial last night. All I can say is WOW!!!! There are few other games that pull off a multiple genres this well. Dungeon crawler / action-rpg / RTS / monster raising... it's a pretty amazing game, and just 7% into the game I think it's going to be one of my all time favorites.

That being said, thank you SO much for translating this game. At first I thought - How could this amazing game not be translated yet?? But then I realized just how complicated and text heavy the game was. It's got to be one of the most complex games on the snes atleast.

So yeah, Thanks a million for this!!

PS. I'd love to help out with any of your upcoming projects as well. I can test on actual hardware if that helps.
Red Soul is amazing when it come to thoroughness and testing. His constant digging and experimenting to find diverse new means for us to share our work more trouble-free has exponentially altered the basic way we have prepared patches for uploading in the original IPS format. Henceforth, if players will at least scan the readme information in our releases, chances are some answers or least good leads for answers will be found inside - especially in the case of future releases. Nevertheless, we realize our readmes are usually long and detailed, and that time is at a premium for many of us gamers. Therefore, we are always willing to try to help folks here on the boards.

We always appreciate offers of assistance, so don't be shy about communicating again if and when you see us discussing the needs of a particular project. In the meantime, what we need the most right now is a good and fast Japanese translator for Super Shell Monster Story-II! (A.K.A. Daikaijyu Monogatari-II)

We would welcome a written tutorial on the specific flash system you're using and how you adapted our patch to play on real hardware - step by step! I'm sure that Chaos Seed's fighting systems are most adroitly executed on original consoles. I would also like to obtain such a system for playing Super Shell Monsters Story I and II and Aretha-I and II.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:47 am 

This is a great game and an incredible translation. What an insane amount of effort that must have gone into this! Thanks and kudos once again!

With that said, I really suck at this game. I want to love it and it seems so cool, but a. my fingers are not nimble enough to make even the combos in this game work, which should be so simple for 99% of the people, ha (I suck at fighting games in case you were wondering) b. cave building is so complex. I am stuck in the second mission and and trying to fend off the seemingly endless supplies of enemies. But lacking the ability to do those, what seem to be, simple combos must be hurting me too. I think my save state is hovering just below 3000 Dragon energy in the second mission. I lost to the master but it seems I was sent back to the 2nd mission? Not sure. Got a huge lecture on Feng shui that went over my head..

This is a tough, complex game and sadly, I really am not good at it! It looks amazing just the same! Thanks for your awesome efforts in translating this!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

DoubleDvideogames, I'm not a huge fan of action RPGs either, and I'll admit I used cheats to buff up and make my battles a little easier. I could practice the action maneuvers and improve, but during my part, I needed to concentrate on executing the insertion program, checking results, and ensuring that everything fit the boxes and made perfect sense. It's just that I prefer thinking games. I don't wanna jump around all over the room like a frog while playing games! I prefer to save that sort of agility and energy for "real world" hobbies such as hunting, fishing, and water skiing!

But, if you want to have the best chance without cheats, get a USB SNES converter and use a real SNES controller (not a clone or Red Chinese knock-off). That will maximize your manual skills on a PC, in lieu of using real equipment methods.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:06 am 
Site Admin

Yes, yes... Cheats! An invincibility cheat (not max level cheat) will go a LONG ways to helping you get through those dungeon sections ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:43 pm 

Is there still no comment from Red Soul regarding the new splash screen? :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

ChronoMoogle wrote:
Is there still no comment from Red Soul regarding the new splash screen? :(
Where IS that wild caballero of the broad pampas!?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next