Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post subject: Re: Chaos Seed Feedback!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:53 am 
Site Admin

I never wanna see this game again...EVER!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:50 am 
Site Admin

I hear ya! If I ever coordinate a project again, I want it to be a basic, old-school RPG.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:24 pm 

Hi guys, great job with this game (and many others! I remember having some good laughs with Hourai High), I got to play another great unknown classic thanks to you. Really appreciate it.

Anyway, I just registered here to make a little bug report that is probably not even related to your patch. I submitted it on RHDN but Red Soul suggested I did the same here so there you go:

1) When naming the Hero and Heroine, you can press L or R to change the character sets (which would originally be kana symbols and western characters). The routine to cycle through the sets seems to be slightly messed up: if you go to the left of the starting set, you'll be using the last, but if you go left again you'll remain in that set. The game remembers how "far left" you've gone, though, if you press L multiple times, you'll have to press R the same number of times to get back to the normal cycle. This works both ways. It's a trivial bug since 3 of the 4 character sets are the same, but it's there.

2) One of the things you're told by the Senju in the tutorial is that you can summon any Senju you named "by pressing Select". It took me a long while to guess that that's meant for when you're naming a newly summoned Senju. I kept giving names to every new Senju I summoned until I reached a point in which summoning a new one would cause a room to become corrupted: a gate became a wall (it still received Ki but didn't send through it). The game froze after the enemy scene past the recount time. Apparently, giving too many names to one type of Senju is bad (this happened with the Rat btw).

3) Related to the previous bug. I cycled through the given names of the conflictive (Rat) Senju pressing Select. They stopped changing after showing 32 names (it went through the list a couple of times, I probably have 14 - 15 different names for Rat Senjus). If I chose the name that remained, the same corruption happened. There didn't seem to be any problem with the Dragon or the Bird.

I used patch 1.01 and ZSNES 1.51 for this. Here's a savestate just before summoning the Senju:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/144 ... ENG%29.z14

The room that becomes corrupted is a small storage room (Earth element) in the lower part of the map (two rooms below where the Hero is).

And that's it. Keep it up, you guys rock! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:56 pm 

Do you have a recount time SRAM from before the bug happens, Dashman?
I'd like to test this issue on a different emulator and savestates aren't interchangeable between Zsnes and Snes9X (which we use for its embedded debug functions).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

For the most part, yes, save states aren't interchangeable between Zsnes and Snes9X. Though Zsnes version 1.36 .zst saves work fine with Snes9x version 1.51 (same with .srm saves). I tested this myself with Silva Saga-II and they seem to work fine. I'm not sure about the other versions of both emulators though.

From what I've seen, you can load Zsnes .zst saves with Snes9x, but you can't save over them (with Snes9x). So if there's a bug with a game because of Zsnes, you can load the .zst with Snes9x, get passed it (be it a boss, cutscene or whatever else), then make a .srm save and continue playing with Zsnes if you like. That's how I got passed the bug in Silva Saga-II that causes the game to freeze with Zsnes during the wedding in Toran Castle when I was beta testing it.

Edit: Yup, I just confirmed it. In order for this to work, the rom along with the .srm and .zst saves must be in the same folder (location). In other words, just load the game with Snes9x and load state. The save state numbers are 0-9 as with Zsnes. The only problem is that you can't save over the .zst save with Snes9x, but you can load it alright. And like I said before, it's possible to create a .srm save with Snes9X and continue playing with Zsnes if you like. Heh, I wonder if I'm the first person who discovered this (the .zst loading I mean)...?

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:51 pm 

Is that right? hm still, given the no-nos associated with Zsnes' code as a whole I wonder if this migration wouldn't create even more problems. The SRAM is still the ideal starting point to pin this down in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:19 am 
Site Admin

@Dashman: Thanks for that great report. I saw it on RHDN last night before I went to bed, but I wanted to wait until this morning so I could test them out first before replying. I've added them to the tracker, and hopefully, they'll be an easy fix.

Edit: I see the "name-cylcling-issue" for the Rat Senju, and I'm REALLY hoping that it is the bug that caused your second and third issue because it will probably be an easy fix. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:51 am 

Glad I could help :)

Here's the SRAM from just before that savestate, just in case:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/144 ... ENG%29.srm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:20 am 
Site Admin

Ok! That SRM helped out a lot!

I have some bad news for you, though. After lots of testing, it seems that the glitch you are experiencing with the corridor/gate is probably also in the original game :( Sometimes when building many rooms with many winding corridors weird things can happen. However, I wasn't seeing any glitches with a door changing into a gate. What I saw were instances where the corridors under that room would turn completely dark. It looked like things were still working fine, but the screen would be shadowed out until you moved out of the corridor. The same thing happened with the original ROM when I tested.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:37 am 

First off, great work guys :D Thoroughly enjoying this mashup of one part Zelda, one part Chinese mysticism, and two parts Dungeon Keeper.

Found this nice little text mess after I sat down and made an honest effort to learn the feng shui system. That line is supposed to be Bomb Burst LV 3 - not the trap you can make in an Attack room, but the feng shui upgrade that lets a room make free bomb traps. I didn't actually activate that upgrade since I was worried I might be corrupting something, so I don't know if it's messed up in both columns. I have a bsnes savestate in the area too if you want it.

Spoiler! :
As for Recca's scenario unlock issue, I didn't have any problems unlocking Scenario 5, but I would like to point out that the guide on GameFAQs is internally inconsistent with naming them - the way to get there is "Ending A" on his quick-and-dirty list of ending paths, but "Ending D" in the detailed walkthrough. Combine that with the one raid battle having the guy you beat up claim that he won, and it's really easy to think you've messed up somewhere and feel the need to reset. There's nothing wrong with the patch in this regard (which is what I'd first feared until I got the locking notice) but it's easy to trip up when using that guide.
(Sorry, got my threads mixed up - the spoiler tags are referring to something from the Things We Missed thread.)

I do have a question, though, since the manual/walkthrough doesn't cover it. What does it do when you set the Senju Advice setting to "Talk"? I tried it once, but the game froze up about a turn later and I'm not sure if it's related.

Attachments:
File comment: Kind of a glaring muckup there
Chaos Seed - Fuusui Kairoki (J)-20140420-154918.png
Chaos Seed - Fuusui Kairoki (J)-20140420-154918.png [ 42.01 KiB | Viewed 33641 times ]

Last edited by Dragonrider on Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next