Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Chaos Seed Manual, requesting a translation...
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

I've been waiting for months to post this link. My imported game copy is like new. I finally got my hands on it and rounded up a scanner at the same location.

For a game this complex, I'm surprised at the modest size of the manual (36 pages). If someone would translate this manual, it would assist me greatly in playing through this game and polishing the story so we can finish beta testing and release our patch. I remain largely perplexed by the intricacies of Feng Shui and how the interacting elements multiply by flowing in various directions down corridors and through doors. Perhaps some tips in this manual will give me a better understanding so I can present a more cogent picture of the Feng Shui process as the game advances.

The story premise is convoluted but interesting, and I have a good overall picture of the characters' personalities. Just the same, a translation of the pages in the manual that introduce the characters might give me additional insights that would enhance our localization efforts. We are keeping the Asian tone almost completely, obviously, and I have been seeking this sort of information in my research. However, a paucity of materials are available in English. Most of what we know about the culture of this game comes from individuals on this board and the translated script. The manual, however, if translated, would comprise more than 90% of our research.

If someone will translate it, we will try to produce an English Chaos Seed manual. Something tells me a lot of people would benefit from having one.

http://www.dynamic-designs.us/chaosseed/manual/Chaos_Seed_Box_and_Dox.zip

Post subject: Re: Chaos Seed Manual, requesting a translation...
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:32 am 
Site Admin

If something steps up to translate this, it would make a really nice "teaser" to get out there before we finish the game :)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

36 pages? I'd like to ask for help at RHDN for this as I did with those two Mystic Ark pages about the arks, but they probably wouldn't allow for a translation request this large. Same goes for the Burning Heroes, Record of Lodoss War and Just breed manuals. Hopefully, one of the translators here such as Dag or LostTemplar would be able to help. Otherwise, one of the core staff members could try posting a help wanted ad either here or at romhacking.net. Though, I'm not quite sure if they'll allow a help wanted ad for a manual.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Last edited by Recca on Fri May 13, 2011 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:17 pm 

I'd be nice to translate (though I don't think my skills are good enough), but I don't have much time these days. Maybe this summer...?

But, 99% of what the manual covers is already on the FAQ, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth the effort or if people would really care.
It has a page with story and character info, and the rest just is about the subsystems (controls, caves/rooms/corridors, recount time, feng shui, senjutsu...).

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:33 pm 

Generally speaking, the larger the amount of text, the less likely someone will be willing to translate it. Just post a link to the manual at RHDN and see if anyone will take a crack at it.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, I requested for help at RHDN:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,12610.0.html

Hopefully, someone will be able to provide a translation for those manual pages. I guess this is the type of thing you were talking about Wildbill, when you appointed me as a liaison of D-D, haha! I wonder if the other manuals will get translated too one day.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Last edited by Recca on Fri May 13, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

Dag wrote:
I'd be nice to translate (though I don't think my skills are good enough), but I don't have much time these days. Maybe this summer...?

But, 99% of what the manual covers is already on the FAQ, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth the effort or if people would really care.
It has a page with story and character info, and the rest just is about the subsystems (controls, caves/rooms/corridors, recount time, feng shui, senjutsu...).
Summer would be fine. It's no rush. Check back with us later on whether it's a go or no go. Either way, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:08 am 

Wow, the Chaos Seed manually looks pretty cool. The scans are really high quality, too. I've worked on a couple manuals where the kanji was barely visible.

I'm definitely interested in translating the Chaos Seed manual. If anyone else volunteers, maybe we could each tackle part of the manual?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:20 am 

I have a knack for graphics editing so I could try and reinsert the translated text back once its done.
Would be a great way to spruce up the project further.
A nice touch to have the game manual along with the patch eh?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Okay, I requested for help at RHDN:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,12610.0.html

Hopefully, someone will be able to provide a translation for those manual pages. I guess this is the type of thing you were talking about Wildbill, when you appointed me as a liaison of D-D, haha! I wonder if the other manuals will get translated too one day.
Thanks, Recca. There are some good people over there. Well, the best times to publish a translated manual are either prior to or concurrently with the patch release. If the game is widely played, invariably, WWW board discussions will clear up any sticking points, and someone will redo the FAQ, eventually. After several months, interest in manuals seem to wane, and they need to be incorporated into readme's as upgrades. The only game we have released so far with much of the manual translated is Lennus-II. I believe we included it as a section of the readme.

BTW, Bongo` was asking core members the other day about project status (matters needing his attention). I forgot to mention Lodoss War. If he can get that dumped, I want to put it in your hands so you can look it over and assess what needs to be done. Once that happens, we'll discuss where we go from there.