Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
Post subject: Re: Chaos Seed update?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
That was the original plan. I'm not so sure where I stand now... It's been soooo long since I've done any work, and it would take me a long time just to get back in the swing of things. I'll be happy to take the project back on, though. I miss all the work I had put in. Just doing the first 3 scenarios took sooooooo many hours to test and edit.

As far as enemy names being messed up. Bongo` told me a while ago that it may have to do with your SRM. Because many changes have been made to enemy names when editing, it has gotten messed up... Basically, if you were to start a fresh game, with a fresh SRM, then everything should look fine. I think...
Aretha-II works the same way. Certain corrected errors appear unchanged in old SRMs. Okay, in the next day or so I should get through the temple/side quest endings. I finished both the "baby dragon" and "broken egg" endings last night. I understand triggering the side quest scene with the flute girl is tricky. Plus, I need to do two variations in the temple, one with fighting, the other, without. Once I do that, I'll send everything over. Whenever you're ready, I'll take on Scenario #3 expeditiously.

I know what you mean about many hours. I probably needed 50 hours to get to this point in #2 (recently alone). I could tell you already had a lot of polish in it. It's a really fun plot, but my haphazard cave only limped along, hee-hee...! I had two refinoing rooms and two production rooms and an attack room and detection room off to the side that the Sentan guys couldn't reach, so they died. Also, I get two little square block glitches in certain narration summaries (similar to what we had late in Slayers). I am attributing these to the cheats.

To everyone: The game and story are absolutely delightful! Action RPG fans will truly love this game. As for me, I think the game pad is gonna give me arthritis before I finish Scenario #10 - even with cheats!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Draken wrote:
That was the original plan. I'm not so sure where I stand now... It's been soooo long since I've done any work, and it would take me a long time just to get back in the swing of things. I'll be happy to take the project back on, though. I miss all the work I had put in. Just doing the first 3 scenarios took sooooooo many hours to test and edit.

As far as enemy names being messed up. Bongo` told me a while ago that it may have to do with your SRM. Because many changes have been made to enemy names when editing, it has gotten messed up... Basically, if you were to start a fresh game, with a fresh SRM, then everything should look fine. I think...
Aretha-II works the same way. Certain corrected errors appear unchanged in old SRMs. Okay, in the next day or so I should get through the temple/side quest endings. I finished both the "baby dragon" and "broken egg" endings last night. I understand triggering the side quest scene with the flute girl is tricky. Plus, I need to do two variations in the temple, one with fighting, the other, without. Once I do that, I'll send everything over. Whenever you're ready, I'll take on Scenario #3 expeditiously.

I know what you mean about many hours. I probably needed 50 hours to get to this point in #2 (recently alone). I could tell you already had a lot of polish in it. It's a really fun plot, but my haphazard cave only limped along, hee-hee...! I had two refinoing rooms and two production rooms and an attack room and detection room off to the side that the Sentan guys couldn't reach, so they died. Also, I get two little square block glitches in certain narration summaries (similar to what we had late in Slayers). I am attributing these to the cheats.

To everyone: The game and story are absolutely delightful! Action RPG fans will truly love this game. As for me, I think the game pad is gonna give me arthritis before I finish Scenario #10 - even with cheats!
As a follow-up to this conversation, I have passed CS back to Draken. I anticipate he will work up Scenario #3 and possibly #4 to the point he did the other ones, then I will take on the same role for these new ones before sending them back for Draken's double check and beta testing.

The idea is that when we finish the bonus scenario (#10), the game will be close to release status.

So, to answer some questions I've seen here, I'll share part of what I've learned - with possible spoilers marked accordingly.

The game has 11 scenarios. The first one is a long lecture and is not numbered.

Scenarios #1 through #7 are the story of the Dousen, and all of these involve cave building.

Scenario #8 is story-only (yay!) with very limited game play and no cave-building (double yay!).

Scenario #9 is a bonus story-only format with no cave-building. It's also a side quest in Scenario #7 if a gamer is able to unlock it.

Scenario #10 is a bonus dungeon mode for those who didn't get enough of that!

Now, my impressions thus far:

The game gets more amazing the deeper I dive into it! I already said Action RPG fans will love it.

For fighting challenge, I'll theorize that it exceeds Terranigma, Zelda-III, and Secret of Mana.

For cleverness of plot and overall charm, I believe it may rival Chrono Trigger.

For dungeon crawling and complexity of the process, it far exceeds the highly addictive Taloon's Great Adventure and anything else I've played in that genre.

For variations of story and outcomes, depending on the decisions and choices of a player, I believe this game may stand alone.
Spoiler! :
For example, I don't see how the side quest in Scenario #2 and one particular ending in which a certain key item is thrust into a mysterious parallel world cannot be bypassed in this chapter's ending without similar incidents occurring as mandatory events in future scenarios that will resolve these matters.
I am very curious to see how the game designers built in devices to deal with the many possible "twists".

I will report here that I experienced a game lockup at one point in the temple fighting option. When I backtracked through a maze, something corrupted the dialogue as I entered a fight with guards in an adjacent room and froze the game. I tried to trigger this situation several more times but could not repeat the crash. I hope it was merely an SRM glitch that playing a freshly patched ROM will fix. I quit repeating off my temple save point SRM and went back to using my outside-the-temple zst for repeat journeys through the temple, and I suffered no further locks.

Finally, thank everyone for being patient with me in regard to Scenario #2. From this point forward, whenever Draken sends me newly prepared scenarios, my turn-around time should proceed expeditiously, especially after Scenario #7!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:12 am 

Thats some pretty amazing progress there!
It seems CS might surprise us all yet and be released sooner than anticipated!
I agree the degree of complexity is something uncanny (even moreso for a SNES game)
but at the same time, with all the genre blending it could appeal to a larger playerbase than a more traditional RPG.

Edit: I've been playing some of it, and yes, its absolutely delightful; I love the Dousen Master and the Hero's conversations, everything is very well characterized, good work with the dialogue Drakee and Bill.
Its also brain bending in the sense I've been struggling with the system to build a perfectly energy efficient cave
(yes, I am a perfectionist LOL) and even with the in game tutorial (which is impressively detailed and player minded
for a Snes game, I don't believe I've seen such before) and the manual, I've yet to grasp the best ways to build a cave.
I got past the lecture, barely, but could not yet finish Scenario 1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:00 pm 

I really hope this gem will finally get the respect from retrogamers it deserves...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:48 am 

Hooray for the newsupdate!! I am freakin ready for this. :twisted:
Actually I wanted to play Energy Breaker now, but this has priority.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

Heck, even I want to try out Energy Breaker!!! Hopefully, I'll be able to find the time in the next few weeks ;)

Chaos Seed is still going to take some time before it's ready, so don't feel like you need to clear your calendar right away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:14 pm 

Okay, uncommon situation... Good and bad news at the same time x) So its Energy Breaker time for now ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:05 am 
Site Admin

ChronoMoogle wrote:
Hooray for the newsupdate!! I am freakin ready for this. :twisted:
Actually I wanted to play Energy Breaker now, but this has priority.
You bought me some productive time tonight and don't even know it - until now.

I presume you're the same fellow who send me the save-state through Scenario 8. Anyway, the Dragon Furnace crashed for me last night as I was gearing up to retrieve the four Magic Mirrors and fight Wan Sougen. I figured I was dead-in-the-water while Draken and Bongo` were investigating a fix - until I found your save-state that you sent me once. Now, I can work in Scenario 4 - anywhere through Scenario 8, for that matter. If you're that same ChronoMoogle, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:51 pm 

You are welcome, it's good to hear that my savestate was usefull in some way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:42 pm 

Hi long time no see. I haven't been around here since Silva Saga II. I saw on the main page that same beta testers might be needed at some point. I would really like to help with that if I could, so let me know if you need help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next