Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Japanese, Chinese and English
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:52 pm 

I feel compelled to point out that I'd bounced back by the end of the last winter and just haven't been here for a while. :V

I posted a reply in the translation support thread, but basically, it looks like the names you posted are clearly supposed to be Chinese, so if you don't want to use the Chinese names, you may as well rename them completely using the literal English translations as an inspiration like the Sinologists of old. You might want to get an actual speaker of Chinese to look over them - I can get you the common Mandarin Chinese readings of the individual characters, but my knowledge of the language is extremely limited.

As for Albert Odyssey 2, ask me again when you know how big the script is. I'm quite busy with work these days.

Post subject: Re: Japanese, Chinese and English
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:43 pm 

The game does have a general "chinese" image, even with "Japanese" and "western" characters and names as opposed to the Chinese ones (you won't find Chinese spellings in my FAQ since I don't know a lick of Chinese though), but player's convenience should be taken into account I think.

Senju in Japanese are easier to identify at a glance from their characters (XX龍 -> dragon senju, 牛XX -> bull, etc) but them Longs, Xiangs and whatnot are more opaque to a western player. The literal translations are pretty dumb but maybe you guys can think up some cooler names.