Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: Basic Insertion System in Place - A Huge Milestone!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
WildBill:

The Windows font for "System" set at 10point looks ok. I can make a snap and upload it later.

Based upon the "points" we tried in the failed Oceana load (9, 10, and 11), I would estimate that we need about an 8 point size to get into the 28 CPL range, but as long as we solve the VRAM overload that causes 4th lines to gap, and we overcome the distortion of some characters with a more squared, vice rounded font design, I'm as happy as a virgin lad forced into a warm bed with a real-world Naga (Slayers) look-alike! (*N'yah* RS, beat-cha to her!!)

I really need someone to hand-build those international letters we need into the font we decide upon that finally works. As I said, I'm not huge on the style. I just want it to work and have everyone else on the team like it. I guess my favorite font of all time is the one in Taloon's Great Adventure, custom designed by Taskforce.

BTW, Ritchie just sent us a fully translated Block 006, and he requested that I send him Block 007. Needless to say, I sent it to him, but I also sent Block 000 and told him some Ryu scenario strings might be included in there, suggesting it might be better if he helps us with 000 before doing 007. I also explained that the reason we started with Block 003 was because it was the beginning of the Ryu Chapter, the logical block to use for testing the I.O.C. of your insertion system. Now, we need to play catch-up ball with Blocks 000, 001, and 002.

I hope everyone will express his and her appreciation to Ritchie for the Burning Heroes main script work he has contributed thus far. These blocks he has translated make the difference between dramatic visual progress with BH and just dreaming about doing it someday. I know Ritchie must stay quite busy with his many endeavors, so for this reason we especially value his assistance. For those of you who may have not made the connection, Ritchie is the man who has created so many FAQ/Walkthroughs on GameFAQs, including some of our own translations. Every serious gamer who has played a number of untranslated SFC RPGs without much knowledge of the language already owes him a huge debt of gratitude.

I will be formatting 006 and sending it along to you and Recca later.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:32 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
WildBill:

The Windows font for "System" set at 10point looks ok. I can make a snap and upload it later.

Based upon the "points" we tried in the failed Oceana load (9, 10, and 11), I would estimate that we need about an 8 point size to get into the 28 CPL range, but as long as we solve the VRAM overload that causes 4th lines to gap, and we overcome the distortion of some characters with a more squared, vice rounded font design, I'm as happy as a virgin lad forced into a warm bed with a real-world Naga (Slayers) look-alike! (*N'yah* RS, beat-cha to her!!).

Heh, heh, heh! She is definitely the best looking chick in Slayers. I guess that Lina would be in second place. Heh, I would really like to give it to her... Err, but that's not important! Back to our daily Burning Heroes dicussion!
Wildbill wrote:
I really need someone to hand-build those international letters we need into the font we decide upon that finally works. As I said, I'm not huge on the style. I just want it to work and have everyone else on the team like it. I guess my favorite font of all time is the one in Taloon's Great Adventure, custom designed by Taskforce.

That game did have a pretty good font. I also liked the one in Villgust and Ranma. The current font in the Burning Heroes Ryu intro screenshots looks good too in my opinion. I'm fine with anyone of these fonts for BH.
Wildbill wrote:
BTW, Ritchie just sent us a fully translated Block 006, and he requested that I send him Block 007. Needless to say, I sent it to him, but I also sent Block 000 and told him some Ryu scenario strings might be included in there, suggesting it might be better if he helps us with 000 before doing 007. I also explained that the reason we started with Block 003 was because it was the beginning of the Ryu Chapter, the logical block to use for testing the I.O.C. of your insertion system. Now, we need to play catch-up ball with Blocks 000, 001, and 002.

I hope everyone will express his and her appreciation to Ritchie for the Burning Heroes main script work he has contributed thus far. These blocks he has translated make the difference between dramatic visual progress with BH and just dreaming about doing it someday. I know Ritchie must stay quite busy with his many endeavors, so for this reason we especially value his assistance. For those of you who may have not made the connection, Ritchie is the man who has created so many FAQ/Walkthroughs on GameFAQs, including some of our own translations. Every serious gamer who has played a number of untranslated SFC RPGs without much knowledge of the language already owes him a huge debt of gratitude.

Indeed, Ritchie certainly has my thanks for the BH .txt block translations. I've seen a couple of his FAQ/Walkthroughs at gamefaqs and they are very helpful. Although, I personally prefer going to rpgclassics.com for info and help on RPGs since they also have shrines there with screenshots and different sections for most games. Gamefaqs covers other genres too such as fighters and platform ones, therefore it is also quite useful when you get stuck in a game or looking for the controls.
Quote:
I will be formatting 006 and sending it along to you and Recca later.

Yup, I've got it, thanks. The translation is overall excellent, though it needs a bit of script polishing.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:29 am 

Definitely want to say thanks to Ritchie again for his translating work. 64 blocks of text sounds intimidating but hopefully theyre not all long. Are there several character intros in Burning Heroes. I thought I read somewhere that there are 8 characters.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Yes, indeed there are. There's four characters to choose from at first and four more unlockable ones which you get after you finish the first four characters scenarios for a total of eight characters. Example; after finishing Ryuu's story, you unlock Rouga. Same goes for the others. You only get the real ending to the game after you beat all eight scenarios. It's sort of like Rudra no Hihou in a way, concerning the scenarios. They all take place at the same time and the same world. It's a nice and pretty long game overall.

What I find really cool is that you only control your main character. The computer controls your four other allies. The AI is quite intelligent. It attacks both with weapons and magic. The characters also heal and use support spells when necessary. Only the main character which you control and use items and summon a dragon for a strong one time attack when your "passion meter" reaches 100%. It increases when you get hit. More damage equals a higher increase. If the hero falls in combat, the meter will go back to zero. Healing does not effect the meter so keep the main character alive! A good idea is to try to save the dragon summon for bosses.

Here's the link to the walkthrough for Burning Heroes written by Ritchie:
:arrow: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/575566/33339

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Yes, indeed there are. There's four characters to choose from at first and four more unlockable ones which you get after you finish the first four characters scenarios for a total of eight characters. Example; after finishing Ryuu's story, you unlock Rouga. Same goes for the others. You only get the real ending to the game after you beat all eight scenarios. It's sort of like Rudra no Hihou in a way, concerning the scenarios. They all take place at the same time and the same world. It's a nice and pretty long game overall.

What I find really cool is that you only control your main character. The computer controls your four other allies. The AI is quite intelligent. It attacks both with weapons and magic. The characters also heal and use support spells when necessary. Only the main character which you control and use items and summon a dragon for a strong one time attack when your "passion meter" reaches 100%. It increases when you get hit. More damage equals a higher increase. If the hero falls in combat, the meter will go back to zero. Healing does not effect the meter so keep the main character alive! A good idea is to try to save the dragon summon for bosses.

Here's the link to the walkthrough for Burning Heroes written by Ritchie:
:arrow: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/575566/33339
I can't wait to seriously start writing this game. I'm at about 60% with Slayers, but if I could get past the Jump Shoes in Burning Heroes and adjust the length of the dialogue screen and/or font to make the final character not cause a "bleed-back effect (due to a unusable half byte of space left over with our font routine), I would be working on the BH story right now, concurrently.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:35 am 

Recca wrote:
Ah, it's nice to see that progress via script insertion is under way for Burning Heroes. It's interesting to see the different translation of Ryuu's intro compared to Deltaflame's. Here's how he had it:

(4 years ago...)

Ryuu
Dad!! PLEASE!!

Dad
Ryuu, you
are 10 now, Hmm?
So I'm Leaving.

Ryuu
NO DAD!! DON'T!!
I'm too young!!

Dad
Just stay away
from me, Ryuu.
Don't make me
USE FORCE!! NOW,
When you grow
up, look for
me..

Ryuu
I'll kill
you DAD!!

Ryuu!! HEY!!

Hey. WAKEUP!!

Ryuu
AAH!! Oh, uh, I
was thinking.

YEAH right!
You were asleep
man. You liar.

Ryuu
Shut up!
He abandoned me.

Go kill him!

Ryuu
Yup, I will.

Interesting as the Japanese text seemed to say "6 years ago", not 4... Adam was translated as Dad, I wonder why...? Ah, well, I guess I should be commenting on the progress made now and not ten years ago...

Anyways, about the current progress. Picture 3 seems to have too many periods. Isn't the actually translation a little more like:

Ryuu
Father!
Please don't leave me!!

Shot 3 also seems to have the letter "e" cut off in "please". I guess there was a space issue which cut off the letter? The word "it" seems to be displayed at the beginning of the second line in the first three screenshots. Aside from those three things, the test font and insertion is great! :)

By the way, it might be better to save images as .png instead of .bmp. It has the same high quality, but takes much less space. My Record of Lodoss War pic took 5.00MB as .bmp and only 137KB as .png. Great quality and low space.

To be fair, the english patch that was released, if memory serves me correctly was when I originally worked with Tako/Takashi. I requested the patch be pulled from a lot of sites for a reason =)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

rwthw wrote:
Recca wrote:
Ah, it's nice to see that progress via script insertion is under way for Burning Heroes. It's interesting to see the different translation of Ryuu's intro compared to Deltaflame's. Here's how he had it:

(4 years ago...)

Ryuu
Dad!! PLEASE!!

Dad
Ryuu, you
are 10 now, Hmm?
So I'm Leaving.

Ryuu
NO DAD!! DON'T!!
I'm too young!!

Dad
Just stay away
from me, Ryuu.
Don't make me
USE FORCE!! NOW,
When you grow
up, look for
me..

Ryuu
I'll kill
you DAD!!

Ryuu!! HEY!!

Hey. WAKEUP!!

Ryuu
AAH!! Oh, uh, I
was thinking.

YEAH right!
You were asleep
man. You liar.

Ryuu
Shut up!
He abandoned me.

Go kill him!

Ryuu
Yup, I will.

Interesting as the Japanese text seemed to say "6 years ago", not 4... Adam was translated as Dad, I wonder why...? Ah, well, I guess I should be commenting on the progress made now and not ten years ago...

Anyways, about the current progress. Picture 3 seems to have too many periods. Isn't the actually translation a little more like:

Ryuu
Father!
Please don't leave me!!

Shot 3 also seems to have the letter "e" cut off in "please". I guess there was a space issue which cut off the letter? The word "it" seems to be displayed at the beginning of the second line in the first three screenshots. Aside from those three things, the test font and insertion is great! :)

By the way, it might be better to save images as .png instead of .bmp. It has the same high quality, but takes much less space. My Record of Lodoss War pic took 5.00MB as .bmp and only 137KB as .png. Great quality and low space.

To be fair, the english patch that was released, if memory serves me correctly was when I originally worked with Tako/Takashi. I requested the patch be pulled from a lot of sites for a reason =)

Deltaflame? Is it you!? If so, how the hell are you! Long time no see ( online ). I assuming you are not hacking anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:54 pm 

Haha, not at all!

Actually, I started to look into the game again every now and then. But I can't remember what to do anymore =(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:05 am 
Site Admin

Hehe. That's what happened to me after becoming a "scene" shadow for several years... Now, I do other things, and leave everything technical to others (i.e. Bongo`) ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Hehe. That's what happened to me after becoming a "scene" shadow for several years... Now, I do other things, and leave everything technical to others (i.e. Bongo`) ;)

did you gert my e-mail?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next