Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Spot Translation Requests
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

These recently dumped files are from the same block series that provide mostly "Consult" menu strings. This is a feature in Aretha-II that enables a player to consult with his teammates anywhere in the game to help him get re-oriented and pointed in the right direction. This function is even critical in a few instances, for game play cannot be "unlocked" and advanced without consulting a key player. Right now, without these files loaded, the game crashes whenever I try to consult a fighter in one of these blocks ([Name$06] - Carl. The other one [Name$04] is for either Yuno or Fang.

Bongo` called these blocks short. As soon as I pasted them in this message, they didn't seem so short any more.

Because of a ton of codes, I've left the Japanese in the second insert-able section of each string to show where the English goes.

Filler, if you're pressed for time and someone else can do it, I need Carl [name$06] mainly now. At any rate, putting these on the board seemed a good way to keep track of them. These blocks haven't been added to the insertion system batch yet. I'm still trying to figure that one out because of all of the multiple layers in the block folders and those duplicated files that don't get altered or inserted!
-----------------------------------------
Content reduced due to satisfaction.
-----------------------------------------

Last edited by Wildbill on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Spot Translation Requests
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:55 am 
Site Admin

Whew, that's quite a lot of text you got there Wildbill! No worries though, I've got you covered! I've requested for spot translation assistance over at RHDN as I've done before with other games:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14079.msg204434.html#new

Keep an eye on this thread for the translation. I'm sure that one of many talented translators over at RHDN will be glad to help out. :)

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Whew, that's quite a lot of text you got there Wildbill! No worries though, I've got you covered! I've requested for spot translation assistance over at RHDN as I've done before with other games:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14079.msg204434.html#new

Keep an eye on this thread for the translation. I'm sure that one of many talented translators over at RHDN will be glad to help out. :)
Yep, about 70 strings. I know Filler is probably busy, so if he doesn't mind if someone else steps in. These, we just need the gist of the information, for they are clues and hints (encapsulations) of obvious plot elements in the game that are mentioned in several different places by NPCs. Taskforce and I will rewrite them in the spirits, tones, and styles of the characters we develop.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:44 pm 

http://www.au-ro-ra.net/download/aretha ... lation.txt

This was done in kind of a hurry. If you want I can go over it again tonight. I kept it relatively literal so that you can edit it into good English :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

LostTemplar wrote:
http://www.au-ro-ra.net/download/aretha_2_translation.txt

This was done in kind of a hurry. If you want I can go over it again tonight. I kept it relatively literal so that you can edit it into good English :)
Fantastic! Wow, thanks, LostTemplar (and Recca for broadcasting the request)! You've earned another star in D-D's "ring of honor"! I looked at a few strings, and it's perfect. Literal is always a good starting point for story writing. That way, I don't miss any nuances.

Now, I need to pound down Bongo`'s door and get these crunched into his and Taskforce's incomprehensible Gordian knot of a multiple-stage compressing insertion system. Then, I can backtrack a little bit, check the earlier Consults, do a bit of spot-writing, and have a V0.34 fully-playable non-crashing alpha/beta of Aretha-II in the can!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent. You are correct WB, I've been working on the X68K version of 4th Unit which I'm putting the finishing touches on the script for today. I was settling in to take a look at this Aretha II block this weekend but it looks like it was already handled well! Many thanks to Recca and LostTemplar.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Excellent. You are correct WB, I've been working on the X68K version of 4th Unit which I'm putting the finishing touches on the script for today. I was settling in to take a look at this Aretha II block this weekend but it looks like it was already handled well! Many thanks to Recca and LostTemplar.
I hope 4th Unit is going well for you.

BTW, I still have that one block of shop responses and such that aren't 100% translated in ROMText2 (Text_00218000.txt). These are the ones I "dummied up" with "Text_00218000.txt" entries instead of leaving blank lines. I did this so the game wouldn't crash and I'd know which block the scripts were supposed to come from.

Well, the whole dag-gone game crashed anyway due to byte overload in the 00238000 block group, and I'm dead-in-the-water at the moment. So, no rush.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:10 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:

Thanks. It should be done after a tiny bit of translation and running a couple lines by RHDN tomorrow.
EDIT: Below is a screenshot from earlier in the production. Despite it's looks, this is a wholesome sci-fi/adventure title.

Wildbill wrote:
BTW, I still have that one block of shop responses and such that aren't 100% translated in ROMText2 (Text_00218000.txt). These are the ones I "dummied up" with "Text_00218000.txt" entries instead of leaving blank lines. I did this so the game wouldn't crash and I'd know which block the scripts were supposed to come from.

Well, the whole dag-gone game crashed anyway due to byte overload in the 00238000 block group, and I'm dead-in-the-water at the moment. So, no rush.

Doh! Sorry to hear about that, but I'll still get to that block sooner rather than later. Thanks for mentioning it as I'm sure I would have gotten it confused with the one that is already done. :P I'll give it some attention tomorrow. How about this block? Text_0021B8E1.txt Do you know the status of that one?

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:16 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
EDIT: Below is a screenshot from earlier in the production. Despite it's looks, this is a wholesome sci-fi/adventure title.
Whadaya mean "despite how it looks"? I've already run off with the gal!! See? She gone, but it looks great. I mean, it looked great!!

filler wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

Doh! Sorry to hear about that, but I'll still get to that block sooner rather than later. Thanks for mentioning it as I'm sure I would have gotten it confused with the one that is already done. :P I'll give it some attention tomorrow. It should be done after a tiny bit of translation and running a couple lines by RHDN tomorrow.
So, I've got good news, and I've got bad news about the busted A-II. The good news is that Bongo` fixed the major problems, and it's no longer totally busted.

The bad news is that the Consult menus are screwy again, and this time it's not because a few blocks aren't translated and loaded yet. I'm guessing something just isn't quite linking up correctly in the re-directions. I hope it doesn't bog down Mr. Bongo` for too long, 'cause I'm ready to punch out the first A-II draft and get after CS.

Do you know the status of your contact who might do A-I? We'll soon be debating whether to hold A-II for A-I or forge ahead to completion and release it first.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:03 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

Thanks. It should be done after a tiny bit of translation and running a couple lines by RHDN tomorrow.
Ah, please let me rewrite this screen:

Shortly after arriving in town,
a strange woman called out
as you were walking around.
"Um, excuse me," she said,
"I wish to speak to you about
something! This crazy guy is-"

(Suddenly, W/B dashed around the corner. He was clutching a bouquet of white roses. Using his free hand, he dragged the terrified lady into a quaint side-street chapel that sported a bright red sign festooned with bubbling pink hearts. Seconds later, a livid woman swinging an ancient, rusty double-barreled twelve gauge shotgun burst from the shadows. With ominous overlapping clicking sounds that echoed through the sultry air, she locked back both hammers and crashed headlong through the beaded entryway of Cupid's Love Nest!

"She's too young for you!" the older woman bellowed.)