Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Maou Howard
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:32 pm 

How are you guys localizing the "Maou" title? I currently have it as "Demon Lord" in Rejoice, but I was thinking that was getting a little tired... I'm currently considering "Archdemon" but I'd like our respective renderings for the guy's title to match up, since IS an Aretha staple villain, after all. Thoughts?

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

Post subject: Re: Maou Howard
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
How are you guys localizing the "Maou" title? I currently have it as "Demon Lord" in Rejoice, but I was thinking that was getting a little tired... I'm currently considering "Archdemon" but I'd like our respective renderings for the guy's title to match up, since IS an Aretha staple villain, after all. Thoughts?
This is the closest thing I can find in "Monsters" with Filler's suggestion:

マ・ジン Demon Jinn

Looks like "Mazuso"

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm 

Well, Howard is the main recurring antagonist in the Aretha series... or at least he is in the gameboy games. Maybe he's not in the SNES entries?

Edit: Eh, nevermind. "Archdemon Howard" doesn't have quite the same silly ring to it as "Demon Lord Howard" :/

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Gideon Zhi wrote:
This is the closest thing I can find in "Monsters" with Filler's suggestion:

マ・ジン Demon Jinn

Looks like "Mazuso"

For consistency reasons, I believe we need to look at this should this character appear and try and keep the naming the same.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:24 am 

I agree, though I checked walkthroughs on gamefaqs for both Aretha 1 and 2, and neither mentioned Howard, so I'm going to assume that he's not in the SNES main-series titles.

The only other bit of terminology I can think of that we may need to syncrhonize is Doll's hometown, which I currently have listed as Haro-Haro town. He mentions it in passing, that he comes from "across the sea" so I don't think any of the other locations will be shared between the titles.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
I agree, though I checked walkthroughs on gamefaqs for both Aretha 1 and 2, and neither mentioned Howard, so I'm going to assume that he's not in the SNES main-series titles.

The only other bit of terminology I can think of that we may need to syncrhonize is Doll's hometown, which I currently have listed as Haro-Haro town. He mentions it in passing, that he comes from "across the sea" so I don't think any of the other locations will be shared between the titles.
ハラルド I ran across this character in Aretha-II. It's translated "Harold", but it could also be "Harald". This person is not an enemy or boss as far as I can tell. He founded a town called Milbatos
Spoiler! :
in the "underworld"
, owns a big house there, and a statue of him is erected in the town square.

As for "Doll" we have a "Magic Doll" item, a crystal or porcelain figurine. We also have a character "Doole" (translated "Dole" by some), a magician
Spoiler! :
who comes from the "overworld"
that fights alongside Carl and Ariel.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:41 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
We also have a character "Doole" (translated "Dole" by some), a magician
Spoiler! :

Yeah, this is Doll, so romanized thanks to Rejoice's handy English-titled soundtrack, which has a track titled "Down with Doll."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
Spoiler! :

Yeah, this is Doll, so romanized thanks to Rejoice's handy English-titled soundtrack, which has a track titled "Down with Doll."

I've always found that song's title a bit strange. Isn't Doll a playable character in Rejoice that helps out the main character? "Down with Doll" sounds as though it would a song used for some sort of epic boss fight. I haven't played that much of the game yet, so I'm not sure in which part of the game that song is used. Hopefully, you don't have to fight against Doll, I don't quite like the idea of traitor characters...

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Gideon Zhi wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
Spoiler! :

I've always found that song's title a bit strange. Isn't Doll a playable character in Rejoice that helps out the main character? "Down with Doll" sounds as though it would a song used for some sort of epic boss fight. I haven't played that much of the game yet, so I'm not sure in which part of the game that song is used. Hopefully, you don't have to fight against Doll, I don't quite like the idea of traitor characters...
Hee-hee...
Spoiler! :
Wait until you get your hands on Aretha-II.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:36 am 

Doll's playable, yes. He's the first sub-character you get. Rejoice is full of wannabe hip; in this case, "down" is slang roughly equivalent to "hanging out" or "being awesome." So "Down with Doll" is more a way of saying "Yeah, it's Doll, and we are AWESOME" than anything else. See the first few definitions here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=down