Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Out of bytes? (Spoilers, maybe?)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:11 pm 

I'm in this place called Bowels of the Earth and after the scene where Fang ties the rope to the rock and you climb the cliff, I'm stuck in a tiny space. There's an exit, but whenever I try to go in, Ariel says "Out of bytes?" and nothing happens. What do I have to do?
I've attached a picture in case my explanation wasn't clear enough.

Oh, I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I'm playing the game on my SD2SNES.

Attachments:
ss.jpeg
ss.jpeg [ 137.91 KiB | Viewed 15652 times ]
Post subject: Re: Out of bytes? (Spoilers, maybe?)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

ze1 wrote:
I'm in this place called Bowels of the Earth and after the scene where Fang ties the rope to the rock and you climb the cliff, I'm stuck in a tiny space. There's an exit, but whenever I try to go in, Ariel says "Out of bytes?" and nothing happens. What do I have to do?

Oh, I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I'm playing the game on my SD2SNES.
In the early stages of porting the game to English, I quickly discovered that the space was severely limited when it came to adding the additional bytes required for a direct English translation. Nearly every script block started with the same identical string, one that I never encountered in the game. Therefore, I believed these strings were a generic statement the Japanese game writers placed in the first string of each scenario block intentionally, possibly to communicate to writers they had exceeded available space for the Japanese story within a given block for a scenario or "chapter". I found that if I reduced the bytes in those generic strings by just a few, this helped me keep the game from crashing. You are the first person I've learned about who has encountered this string in actual game play.

This "generic" first string read this in Japanese: [Name$01]: あれっ!? 何かがおかしいよ!!

It translates to: Ariel: What's that!? Something is wrong!!

If you substitute the above translation for the "Out of bytes" line in your game play, does it make sense in the flow?

Finally, I believe Taskforce told me that beta testers found our patch fully compatible only with ZSNES, as mentioned in our Readme.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
ze1 wrote:

In the early stages of porting the game to English, I quickly discovered that the space was severely limited when it came to adding the additional bytes required for a direct English translation. Nearly every script block started with the same identical string, one that I never encountered in the game. Therefore, I believed these strings were a generic statement the Japanese game writers placed in the first string of each scenario block intentionally, possibly to communicate to writers they had exceeded available space for the Japanese story within a given block for a scenario or "chapter". I found that if I reduced the bytes in those generic strings by just a few, this helped me keep the game from crashing. You are the first person I've learned about who has encountered this string in actual game play.

This "generic" first string read this in Japanese: [Name$01]: あれっ!? 何かがおかしいよ!!

It translates to: Ariel: What's that!? Something is wrong!!

If you substitute the above translation for the "Out of bytes" line in your game play, does it make sense in the flow?

Finally, I believe Taskforce told me that beta testers found our patch fully compatible only with ZSNES, as mentioned in our Readme.

I just looked at you graphic again. I believe a different string in the block should display here, even if "something is wrong" about passing through that opening. If these first strings in each block were indeed a "bug" message to the writer, displaying the correct string at this point should have either allowed entry or stated a pre-condition for passing through. If you can switch your SRM over to ZSNES and reach this spot again, we'll find out if this is a patch bug or and emulator limitation. If you can do that, I would be very curious as to what string (if any) is displayed on ZSNES at this spot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, yep I have found this is happening on my end too. I'll see if I can figure what the heck is causing this.

I'm not exactly sure why that is happening though, as there shouldn't be any message happening there.

EDIT: I have found the issue and I'll release a patch later today. The scripting engine got messed up while I was editing files in some way.

EDIT 2: Actually, looks like I was wrong. It seems it was not happy with a certain file for some reason. Games can be touchy. Anyway, working on a correction now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:38 pm 

It does seem like a bug, unless you need to do something very obscure to proceed.
Okay, I'll try to load my save on ZSNES and let you guys know what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:13 pm 

I loaded my save on ZSNES and the same problem happens. I've attached my SRM file to this post, in case it's of any help.

Attachments:
Aretha II - Ariel no Fushigi na Tabi - [T-Eng v0.9].srm [8 KiB]
Downloaded 747 times
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

Download 0.91 and see if that solves the issue for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:06 pm 

It worked! Thank you very much! I'm glad I don't have to restart the game all over again! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

If you grabbed 0.91 before I posted this on the forum, please grab a copy again. I added a few minor text tweaks, but don't want to make a 0.92 for those.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
If you grabbed 0.91 before I posted this on the forum, please grab a copy again. I added a few minor text tweaks, but don't want to make a 0.92 for those.
Hee-hee... I wondered if you might have fiddled with, I mean... tweaked the story a little bit and broken something, but I wanted to blame it on the emulator first. Two things here: It seems the game is compatible with one more emu than ZSNES, and the game remains fragile and potentially crash-able whenever we alter/expand script.

One less byte available in any given block might obstruct or override code that allows a player to proceed to the next stage. Writing the game, this happened to me a hundred times or more. I'd just start cutting from that block a little at a time until I finally got through the scenario. Moving on to the next block/scenario, I'd go through the whole process all over again.

Mystic Ark got this way after we made it compatible with real hardware. In one attempted MA edit, I changed one two letter word to another two letter word (like "us" to "we") that used a tiny bit more lateral spread with the VWF. MA crashed. I changed it back, and everything worked fine again. That experience taught me a lesson with MA. "Set the darn thing down and leave it the heck alone - from now on!"