Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: B-Dragons in Red Thaw Canyon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

ze1 wrote:
I just reached the last area of the game and I completed the monster guide! I wasn't expecting I'd be able to do it! Neat! :D

Oh, by the way, are the monster descriptions references to random things? I don't really get what a lot of those mean...
Please let us know when you beat the game. Looks like you may be the first.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

ze1 wrote:
I just reached the last area of the game and I completed the monster guide! I wasn't expecting I'd be able to do it! Neat! :D

Oh, by the way, are the monster descriptions references to random things? I don't really get what a lot of those mean...

Pretty much. Most of the flavor text in Aretha II the Japanese developers seemed to have fun with. Maybe some of it is Japanese puns that don't work in English, but much of it is just nonsensical text. We left it mostly as is. We had to shorten some things in the monster guide because of on screen real estate, but we left it as close as we could.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:09 am 

Hey! I beat the game! It was a pretty fun experience and I'm glad to be able to enjoy it. Thank you guys for making this happen!

A few random thoughts about the game (I'll put them in spoilers just in case)
Spoiler! :
- The plot didn't have anything super interesting or different, but it managed to make me enjoy playing the game, so that's good!
- I didn't like how it had some loose ends... What happened to Ariel's coronation? Did she become queen? Did she even go back to her world?
- Oh, and what about that guy in the mask (I forgot his name)? He barely shows up in the game but has a huge impact on everything that happened. This part of the stored seemed awfully rushed to me...
- I really wish the world had more places to explore. I was really excited when I got the ship (and eventually the airship), but there were no new places to visit other than your plot destination
- I wonder why Akin is one of the only non-human characters in that world (Zoppi as well, but he's not from that world). Nobody thought he was different, so I guess more reptile-like characters exist? I wish we got to know more about this too
- Also, in the beginning of the game, Ariel makes sure to get the Aretha rings, so I thought these would have some kind of importance in the game. But they had no relevance...
- I really liked the UI in this game! I LOVED how the game memorizes the cursor position for eveything! It made menu-ing so convenient!
- I'm SO glad the developers decided to show damage numbers in this game, unlike the previous game! Also battles felt faster than the original version, which is a good thing!
- The OST in this game is great! But I think I liked the soundfont in the previous game better? I'm not sure, because the soundfont in this game is pretty good too!
- Oh, also during the ending, there's a part where the airship is flying above some clouds and nothing happens for like two minutes, other than the music playing. I guess something is supposed to happen there that I missed? Maybe because I wasn't using ZSNES?

Overall this was a very fun RPG to play, and quick too! I took longer than I needed because I like grinding, but I imagine you can beat this game in like 10 hours maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:03 am 
Site Admin

ze1 wrote:
Hey! I beat the game! It was a pretty fun experience and I'm glad to be able to enjoy it. Thank you guys for making this happen!

A few random thoughts about the game (I'll put them in spoilers just in case)
Spoiler! :
- The plot didn't have anything super interesting or different, but it managed to make me enjoy playing the game, so that's good!
- I didn't like how it had some loose ends... What happened to Ariel's coronation? Did she become queen? Did she even go back to her world?
- Oh, and what about that guy in the mask (I forgot his name)? He barely shows up in the game but has a huge impact on everything that happened. This part of the stored seemed awfully rushed to me...
- I really wish the world had more places to explore. I was really excited when I got the ship (and eventually the airship), but there were no new places to visit other than your plot destination
- I wonder why Akin is one of the only non-human characters in that world (Zoppi as well, but he's not from that world). Nobody thought he was different, so I guess more reptile-like characters exist? I wish we got to know more about this too
- Also, in the beginning of the game, Ariel makes sure to get the Aretha rings, so I thought these would have some kind of importance in the game. But they had no relevance...
- I really liked the UI in this game! I LOVED how the game memorizes the cursor position for eveything! It made menu-ing so convenient!
- I'm SO glad the developers decided to show damage numbers in this game, unlike the previous game! Also battles felt faster than the original version, which is a good thing!
- The OST in this game is great! But I think I liked the soundfont in the previous game better? I'm not sure, because the soundfont in this game is pretty good too!
- Oh, also during the ending, there's a part where the airship is flying above some clouds and nothing happens for like two minutes, other than the music playing. I guess something is supposed to happen there that I missed? Maybe because I wasn't using ZSNES?

Overall this was a very fun RPG to play, and quick too! I took longer than I needed because I like grinding, but I imagine you can beat this game in like 10 hours maybe?
Glad you enjoyed it! I suppose a player could fool with mixed form endlessly and crank up the hours. During my first draft play I didn't fool with it at all, so I guess it just sort of falls into a side-quest category. I'm glad you found the freeze bug and TF fixed it. I won't go so far as to declare it un-crash-able, but I feel a bit more secure about seeing it "out there" now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:27 am 

I played a little with the mixed form, but I really don't like these kinds of blind trial and error mechanics in games, so I didn't do a lot. I DID create a sword for Carl that had like 200 ATC and damaged all enemies in the front row and an axe for Akin with like 180 ATC with 50% crit rate, so those two things were worth everything :)

And yeah, the patch felt stable outside that problem, but I didn't go out of my way to try to find bugs. There were the UI glitches you guys mentioned in the readme, but they didn't get in the way of me enjoying the game.

Again, I really appreciate all the hard work you guys put into the game! It was definitely a memorable experience! :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:31 am 
Site Admin

Did you try moving the character? At one point you have to walk around and talk to the blue haired girl in the ending if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:19 am 

taskforce wrote:
Did you try moving the character? At one point you have to walk around and talk to the blue haired girl in the ending if I remember correctly.

Are you talking about my ending remark? If so, I don't think that was the problem, because the part that I had to wait was one where the airship was floating above some clouds. There were no NPCs or PCs in that scene.