Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Translation idea.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:44 am 
Site Admin

It's a pretty decent game in my opinion. The characters, music and story is great. If the graphics were a little better, Villgust would be excellent. It would also be nice if it were more like the short (two episode teaser) anime, without Shun and Michiko. Not that I don't like them, but I prefer stories with only one world and characters focused on their mission. This Shun guy only cares about getting back to his world with his girlfriend... I think that having only the eight characters of Villgust's world would have been better.

As for the translation, I think that we should keep the weapon, armor and item symbols/icons. They look nice and also help with the text limitations. Iron [sword icon] could be Fier [sword icon] in Romanian. Therefore, I think I can manage without the use of unicode letters and limited text space as with the English version. Of course, having expanded space would always be useful though.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
It's a pretty decent game in my opinion. The characters, music and story is great. If the graphics were a little better, Villgust would be excellent.
I agree with you. The game has a special charm, and the music is a big part of setting that tone. And the variable battle engine forces you to move forward. If only we could expand the ROM and move increased text space to the new area, this would help you, and TF and I could redo the English story, too. First thing we would do probably is make Windene's plea full length, hee-hee...! Back in the day, we had a lot of fun doing this one and PS-G.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:10 am 
Site Admin

BTW: I haven't forgotten what I'm supposed to be doing but I need time to get the junk out of the directory before I send. It takes time to pick through the crap and only send the good. Please wait just a bit longer. I also need to write a doc for using the tools which I have to remember how to use heh :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:24 pm 

I'm kind of tempted to offer to expand the dialog script for you. This is *generally* a really, really easy task, but it kind of depends on how the script is set up. Are the pointers nice and neat in a table, or are they in a mess of event garbage? Do you have any information you're comfortable giving away in this regard?

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
I'm kind of tempted to offer to expand the dialog script for you. This is *generally* a really, really easy task, but it kind of depends on how the script is set up. Are the pointers nice and neat in a table, or are they in a mess of event garbage? Do you have any information you're comfortable giving away in this regard?

Heh. there is only like one game I wish I could do over and that is Doraemon RPG on the NES. Man did that game get butchered. But i had no help with it. :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Gideon Zhi wrote:

Heh. there is only like one game I wish I could do over and that is Doraemon RPG on the NES. Man did that game get butchered. But i had no help with it. :(
You do now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
Gideon Zhi wrote:

You do now.

Bah! I doubt anyone would like to play that game again. especially now. :( Besides, I would just be showing off my skills that I lacked big time back then.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Bah! I doubt anyone would like to play that game again. especially now. :( Besides, I would just be showing off my skills that I lacked big time back then.

Who cares if no-one wants to play it. The fact is that if you want to do it, then it is worth doing and we'll be glad to help you with that endeavor.

Gideon Zhi wrote:

Gideon, yeah I would like to pursue expanding that game. However, we're spread so thin right now that it probably isn't the best time to do so. Although, it would very probably help with foreign translations to do so. If you don't mind in the future though, I'll probably be poking you for help on that one if I need it.

As for the system it uses. It had a pointer bank and it also used forwarding pointers like Mystic Ark. It would look up text in the initial pointer bank. Then that text would start with a pointer pointing to some text that would display if a certain event triggered. Moving things should be a matter of finding the bank byte in the code and changing it I'm sure. So I may not even need help with it at this point, I haven't revisited it to see if I could find it.

The problem is that to expand it I need to move to a new insertion system. That one was programmed for that game specifically and for the locations in the rom specifically. I could change it but at this point there is no reason not to migrate to some all in one inserter. Shouldn't be hard as most support forwarding pointers at this point. Just a matter of getting things prepped. I'm sure foreign translations would VERY much benefit from the space though. I can see them getting cramped really quickly as the English did.

BTW: I had someone look at the code for me when I was expanding menus and according to them it was the most well thought out and programmed game on the SNES he'd ever seen. It was a dream to debug compared to the other games he'd done. Hopefully that says something about the ease of doing an expansion.