Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Freeze problem
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:05 pm 

Ok the problem is after battle sometimes the game will freeze and makes a weird noise If it helps i am using zsnes emu Thanks for the help in advance

Post subject: Re: Freeze problem
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

It's a known problem. This game sometimes freezes during or after battles with zsnes. Use snes9x or bsnes instead. Or perhaps you could try a different version of zsnes, it might work better on another version.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:20 pm 

Thank you very much its working perfect now the snes9x is what i needed thanks again

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:18 am 

I wonder if its a SPC700 stall problem that Zsnes tends to have with some games
(Actraiser 2 won't even boot if memory serves).
If Zsnes ever gets a new version, authors would do well to switch the sound core
to something more accurate (even S9X's core is better than Zsnes's).

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:18 am 

Whenever ZSNES 2.0 is released, it should be using the bsnes core (if it's not perfect, it's the most accurate. bsnes did get Chrono Trigger's sound effects correct, and I hear that's quite an accomplishment. Not even Square could do that, with the PS1 port.) :)
(deafening glitch with EWJ2 in SNES9x aside)

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:24 am 

Oh? what kind of sound effects?
I remember playing CT on several emulators before but I don't
remember anything strikingly horrible with sound.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Personally when it comes to snes emulators, I've found Zsnes to be the best. It has the best graphics display and the controls and functions are easy to use. Though I have noticed a sound issue with it which is why I use two different versions of it. Zsnes version 1.17 seems to better emulate sound in RPGs such as CT, Tales of Phantasia and Seiken Densetsu 3. Where as Zsnes version 1.36 seems to be the better choice for fighting games such as the three DBZ Super Butoden games and Gundam Wing Endless Duel. By the way, I've noticed that Star Ocean doesn't emulate properly with version 1.17, though it works fine with version 1.36.

Although Zsnes does have some trouble emulating some games such as this Ranma RPG which is why I also have Snes9x.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:21 pm 

Red Soul wrote:
Oh? what kind of sound effects?
I remember playing CT on several emulators before but I don't
remember anything strikingly horrible with sound.

The roar/screech sound effect is the particular one I only recall bsnes getting correct (as well as the DS remake).
I hadn't played far enough in emulation to hear it myself, but some have reported Lightning2 as another problem sound effect.

I'm not sure when ZSNES 1.17 was released (but according to zophar, it was before June 2001), so it might have been before support for Star Ocean's graphics packs was released (it was definitely before the SDD-1 chip (used by the game) was properly emulated).

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:48 pm 

I migrated to SnesGT a long time ago and I don't regret it at all, its great, although I wish the developers were less obscure about its development
(the programmers are japanese). Still, with simple options, accurate sound and graphics and support to external filters, I don't see a reason to go back
to Snes9x or Zsnes. It can even run Star Ocean without stalling (Zsnes) or the horrible battle slowdowns it gets (Snes9x).

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:55 pm 

I though that SO's stalling is because of error in roms made during translation ; d. Very annoying thing, but actually I'm zsnes fanboy(polish fanboj xd). What i know this emulator is known for his most apropriate sound emulation. I often choose emulator to looking at their options. What I want are option graphics viewing related because I like to rip a lot of graphic. I like too when I can input some special keys under gamepad. For gaming I use only ps/ps2 pad and for example I'm happy when I can input screenshots making under R2, or FAST FORWARD under L2 and so on. With VirtuaNES, there I can input even switching betwen Fullscreen and window modes just pushing R1.
probably this Actraiser 2 not boot issue is wrong, because I played this game on zsnes(1.51). But there are for sure games which doesn't boot under zsnes and only one which I remember is Kat's Run - Zennihon K Car Senshuken.
Anyway I'll have to check out that SnesGT.