Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: So which did you like better: 7th Saga or Mystic Ark
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:39 am 
ultpaladin wrote:
I think I tend to like harder RPGs if they are Western RPGs that are nonlinear so you have a lot of freedom and can always do other things if you really reach a challenging part of the game. Japanese RPGs are often so linear that if you reach a challenging point, you really are stuck until you complete it. I can't really think of too many challenging Japanese RPGs (7th Saga, maybe Dragon Quest 2)

FF2-NES comes to mind (Don't play the remakes, they're to easy)

Digital Devil Saga II and Etrian Odyssey(first and second)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:50 am 

Yeah Etrian Odyssey looks interesting, it looks like a Wizardry style game with some Japanese influences. I did play the remake version of Final Fantasy 2, but I doubt I would play the original NES version. Out of all the Final Fantasy games, FF2 was my least favorite.

I think I would have liked Mystic Ark with a challenge more in line with 7th Saga because at least there you have 3 party members and a little more flexibility to deal with the challenge (ie changing party members at will)

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:34 am 

ultpaladin wrote:
Knowing Enix if they had brought Mystic Ark to the rest of the world, they would have called it 7th Saga 2. So which game did everybody here like best?

I thought both games had great music. 7th Saga was insanely hard but I have to give it credit for providing the challenge and also shocking me with an entire new world after beating what I thought would be the last boss. Mystic Ark I thought was really easy but had a very interesting concept and some creative puzzles.

So I would definitely pick Mystic Ark as the game I liked more.

Mystic ark is the better game. But 7th saga is not without its charms.

-With Mystic ark, I kind of miss the atmosphere of 7th saga. It was darker. MA surprised me in that it has much more upbeat music. But some of the enemies look familiar.

-I think MA needs more enemy variety, sometimes it seems like there is, like, 1-2 enemies in any given area. More.

-Main character seems like a mute so far.

-But other characters FOR SURE have personalities.

-I am using Lux as my side kick for world two, homage to my playthrough of 7th saga a decade ago.

-I guess you get an extra character more in this game for battles, which should make challenge a little lower I will assume. do you get #3 in the 3rd world? I just do not want to go through world 2 with 2 if you can have three.

This game does not seem that much like 7th saga to me. More colorful, upbeat tunes, different characters you would not expect from 7th saga and totally different story, so far. Maybe it gets darker later? I think it has potential to.

MA is more polished, I think, better presentation, easier to understand item names, etc. and is more intuitive and not so hard to start off (7th saga it seemed you had to grind right away) so MA I like more.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:27 pm 

ultpaladin wrote:
Mystic Ark I thought was really easy .

You thought this game was, not only easy, but, "really easy"? Really? I have beat 7th Saga and dozens of other rpgs, so I am no newbie, and I thought MA provided a decent challenge. Maybe I was under leveled. I beat the game at level 37 and all my supporting characters around 32-33.

There were a few bosses who were really quite hard and took a number of tries, like those three knights for instance. Or that one boss in the dark world. I think I was lvl 33 for that. Or that dude in the machine world, also hard. (The boss of the clones). Around about lvl 31-33.

Last edited by DoubleDvideogames on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:52 pm 

Character anaylsis, now that I have beaten the game:

Lux - If you liked him in 7th saga, (and I did), he is even better in Mystic ark. I used him a lot, and for the last battle. Strap on some healing shoes, to allow him to heal with every step and use "Full Atomic" to decimate all enemies on screen. This guys is a tank who is one of the strongest in the game with probably, one of the best defenses in the game, high HP and even some MP to boot, not that I used his spells. Lux + healing shoes + Full atomic ad nausea = amazing. The healing shoes supply an endless amount of full atomics. Good for basically all random battles as full atomic/atomic never seemed to miss, Lux never seems to get stoned (haha) but I sometimes take him out for the bosses when multi target it not needed (except for knights)

Kamiwoo - Jack of all trades, but with lower than average physical and magic defense who does not shine until late in the game when you (hopefully) stumble across his axe in fairy land. All of a sudden, Kamiwoo surges ahead of other characters, with flurry + strongest axe in the game, he is stronger than Lux's full atomic and can wreck entire groups of enemies with ease.

Tokio - Thought he was terrible at first, like Kamiwoo, but this Jack of all trades grows on you and once you get illusion strike, can prove a valuable asset if Lux/Kamiwoo/Reeshine are down on HP and/or MP or die. Better for bosses and large (mammoth) enemies than 95% of random encounters, where he can two hit one target, instead of two random strikes against many random enemies. Just be sure to power him up. Defense not as good as Lux, but I found with two hits, he did more total damage as long as there was only on total enemy on screen.

Reeshine - Amazing offense and sometimes almost single handidly took down some of the bosses, if it were not for her poor speed, making her miss a lot on her kicks. But if her kicks connect, watch out! Average defense, somewhere between Kamiwoo (but higher) and Tokio (bit slightly lower) and so-so HP totals. If you have some speed buffs and power buffs and want to risk it she is better than Lux for pure power as long as she connects with kick! I used her a lot. For the risky player.

Meisa - Aside from some healing duties and buffs for a few specific boss battles, she did not serve too much use to me. I find magic to be weaker in Enix games than most other rpgs. She does provide some resting for the more active party members. Use "Holy emblem" for 5-10 battles which does pretty good damage, heal outside of battle when needed and switch her out for someone else once her mp reaches 0. (In other words, free mp and attack magic as you trudge through long dungeons). Used to conserve energy for your better attackers.

Meirsa - Attack mage, but I found her to be the most useless in my playthrough. She basically is just used to preserve my other more useful characters for 5-10 battles. Use up her mp on the few decent attack spells she has and switch her out once her mp is zero. Use the more useful characters who will have ful mp and hp when they are switched in.

Main hero - Pretty good speed, good hp and suprising mp though most spells are not so useful. Mid game healing is needed, as well as "power" His power strike seems to hit 90-95% of the time for good damage (but less than Kamiwoo, IF he/she has his/her best axe or Tokio multiple strike. Sort of a Jack of all trades that does some things below average and some above average which = average. Other games have forced you to use worse characters, so, not too bad, manageable and useful in many respects, even. Flurry is useful late game combined with Lux's full atomic (and shoes) and Kamiwoos flurry (again as long as you got the axe) to beat most enemies up in one round, 2 tops.

I did not find the two mages useful very much. Lux and Reeshine are ultra strong at first and kind of taper off towards the end but I still love lux and Tokio. Kamiwoo came on strong at the end, moving from below average to above average if you get them the right stuff.

Final party, for final boss

(call me crazy, it was basically purely offensive attacks)

Lux - Full atomic, heal mp when needed
Hero - Power buffs x2, at least, for everyone, full heal when needed. A few risky power slashes (or whatever they are called) which proved to be good risks!
Reeshine - Kick kick kick, and when it connected, which it luckily did on the final boss quite a lot, it can hurt him nicely! Once or twice took time to heal mp or hp.

7th sage I was like this too, pure offense just pushed my way through, with Lux and Olvan. 90 % + of the time it is pure offense for me in this game too.

Woulda liked to see how Tokio, with powered up Illusion strike does, or how Kamiwoos (power buffed) axe stacks up, but oh well. Maybe someone else can tell.

Two mages, just did not need them. Good filler for long dungeons, that is all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:22 pm 

I stuck with Reeshine and Lux for random battles, and swapped Lux for Meisia in boss fights. Meisia's healing and buffs were invaluable for some of the longer boss fights towards the end, and especially in the Darkness and Malice fights. She was actually able to buff Reeshine to the point where her kicks would hit more often than not, and would do over 700 damage per!

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:31 pm 

Gideon Zhi wrote:
I stuck with Reeshine and Lux for random battles, and swapped Lux for Meisia in boss fights. Meisia's healing and buffs were invaluable for some of the longer boss fights towards the end, and especially in the Darkness and Malice fights. She was actually able to buff Reeshine to the point where her kicks would hit more often than not, and would do over 700 damage per!

I pretty much did the same thing, except I used Tokio instead of Lux for random battles (His Illusion Strike helped me quite a bit, especially near endgame).

I was shocked to see Reeshine do over 700+ damage to Malice with her kick (Buffs are really powerful)! That battle really didn't last long, and he hardly got a chance to do any good damage to me, which was a shame as I was preparing for over 2 hours expecting the worst...

It took me over 41 hours to finish Mystic Ark, and my party was around level 34-30. It was quite a bit of fun, though I'd have liked it to be a little faster paced!

Backloggery :: Youtube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

I never beat the game... I can't tell you the last translation I played that
has been worked on by me... Just can't do it. But I'm glad others enjoy! :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

Zetshiro wrote:
Gideon Zhi wrote:

I pretty much did the same thing, except I used Tokio instead of Lux for random battles (His Illusion Strike helped me quite a bit, especially near endgame).

I was shocked to see Reeshine do over 700+ damage to Malice with her kick (Buffs are really powerful)! That battle really didn't last long, and he hardly got a chance to do any good damage to me, which was a shame as I was preparing for over 2 hours expecting the worst...

It took me over 41 hours to finish Mystic Ark, and my party was around level 34-30. It was quite a bit of fun, though I'd have liked it to be a little faster paced!
Secrets may lurk in Mystic Ark that no one has ever discovered. We translated them, inserted them, and polished the scenes as best we could because we never encountered them. What I'm saying is this. Two kinds of RPG gamers appear to be out there. One wants to whip the game like a juggernaut and doesn't mind passing up a number of extraneous details. The other hopes to ferret out every single object that might be hidden in all of the nooks and crannies. Both orientations towards gamesmanship are equally valid. For me, Mystic Ark appeared to hit a middle ground. Glad you enjoyed it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:46 am 

Wildbill wrote:
Secrets may lurk in Mystic Ark that no one has ever discovered. We translated them, inserted them, and polished the scenes as best we could because we never encountered them. What I'm saying is this. Two kinds of RPG gamers appear to be out there. One wants to whip the game like a juggernaut and doesn't mind passing up a number of extraneous details. The other hopes to ferret out every single object that might be hidden in all of the nooks and crannies. Both orientations towards gamesmanship are equally valid. For me, Mystic Ark appeared to hit a middle ground. Glad you enjoyed it!

I'm usually one that tries to finish games quickly, as I find it hard to stay interested in them. I like playing an RPG, then moving onto the next. That saying, I actually spent a lot of time on Mystic Ark.

The game really did a good job to keep me attached and immersed to each world (especially Dark World and Sand World). The story was really something, especially when it was all tied up in the end.

The game also reminded me of Lennus 2 (mainly because the game shares a lot of the same intruments and sound effects). :lol:

Backloggery :: Youtube