Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Funny Dialog
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:07 pm 

Main Player: "Could be the same as A-A-A-X-Y on SNES" Party Member: "No, I believe it's more like 2-2-2-1-4 on the Logitech" Customer: "Wow you guys making this way too hard! Just select D-D-D-L-U" Another party member: "Well what if all brought along is a lousy keyboard?" Customer: "Wired or wireless?"

My question is did the original programmers really put that in the game? Either way it made me LOL. Well done :)

Post subject: Re: Funny Dialog
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Ultimacj wrote:
Main Player: "Could be the same as A-A-A-X-Y on SNES" Party Member: "No, I believe it's more like 2-2-2-1-4 on the Logitech" Customer: "Wow you guys making this way too hard! Just select D-D-D-L-U" Another party member: "Well what if all brought along is a lousy keyboard?" Customer: "Wired or wireless?"

My question is did the original programmers really put that in the game? Either way it made me LOL. Well done :)
Heh, around here, the art of storytelling is fluid; literal translations are boring; and the twain shall never meet!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:45 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
Ultimacj wrote:

Heh, around here, the art of storytelling is fluid; literal translations are boring; and the twain shall never meet!

Heh reminds me of the famous quote of Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (I am I HIGHLY recommend if you love adventure games and a fantastic story)

Gabriel : "Tell me about yourself."
Bartender: "A good bartender listens to other people's stories without telling his own."

I figured you guys adlibbed that at that time I don't think logictec and keyboards fit into the frey of the Super NES :D
I think what made me lol the most was the logtec part (because I'm using that controller sweet easy solution found hahah ;p)

Another question: I know in Paladins Quest the main protangist didn't talk (he just made nods or choices similar to that of Dragon Age I, or Chrono Trigger). Did the main character talk in this one or was that completely added? It's hard to tell given the game's storyline and what you find out about him in the relation to big bad guy. Because you can sense his anger/frustration in the scenes he talks (which isn't much hense the question).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Ultimacj wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
Ultimacj wrote:

Heh reminds me of the famous quote of Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (I am I HIGHLY recommend if you love adventure games and a fantastic story)

Gabriel : "Tell me about yourself."
Bartender: "A good bartender listens to other people's stories without telling his own."

I figured you guys adlibbed that at that time I don't think logictec and keyboards fit into the frey of the Super NES :D
I think what made me lol the most was the logtec part (because I'm using that controller sweet easy solution found hahah ;p)

Another question: I know in Paladins Quest the main protangist didn't talk (he just made nods or choices similar to that of Dragon Age I, or Chrono Trigger). Did the main character talk in this one or was that completely added? It's hard to tell given the game's storyline and what you find out about him in the relation to big bad guy. Because you can sense his anger/frustration in the scenes he talks (which isn't much hense the question).
Well, the literal translation conveyed the colored button formula for a Super Famicom controller. This didn't apply to what 99% of players were using when we started translating Lennus-II about 14 years ago. Many did in fact use a keyboard. Gravis was around, but more time passed before USB came along and cheap converters for Playstation gamepads and SNES converters were sold.

We used to have frequent discussions on WWW boards about people having difficulties executing SFC button sequences on a variety of control mechanisms. So, when I came to that string, I listed a few solutions for the controllers of that time, but my main point was to get people to thinking about solving the issue themselves, realizing that different control systems would require a bit of ingenuity to solve.

Rather than make the whole scene a dry lecture, I figured I'd turn it into a conversation and have a bit of fun at the same time. That's what localization is all about - to get the spirit of the original author's point across in a manner that resonates with the target culture, brings characters to life, and entertains at the same time.

Heh, Draken and I had quite a debate on active versus passive voice. The CT style was Drakie's main counter-argument.
Spoiler! :
But Farus was so dry, basically a blank slate of a Ragan who would become fully socialized during his quest and could ultimately fall on either side of the good-evil spectrum. I wanted to show his anguish and confusion as he struggled with character inputs and decision-making while his personality and moral code were still evolving. Since dialogue brings characters to life, it seemed far-fetched to have such a dynamic character remain a Great Stone Face for the entire game and never reveal his inner feelings until near the end, and then only through actions, not expressions, attitudes, and direct interaction with his friends.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:31 am 

That's what I figured he didn't talk originally. It was added well. A quiet protangnist doesn't always work well in games. In PQI it was ok the story was simple and straight forward were as in PQII you know the jerk who screwed you over and you wanna go after him, so you'd think the main character would show expression from the original developers, hell I would.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:54 am 

First I should mention that this is no offense, I only wanna give productive feedback on this hack.
The writing is one of the things I didn't like too much in this hack. Particularly at the beginning in the city of the believers. How could a believer throw these puns and jokes on their lord and hero? It destroyed the athmosphere in my opinion.
I really hope one day the script could get a small overhaul. I like jokes and there is no problem with unliteral scripts, but they shouldnt affect the right athmosphere at the right point nor change the story of the game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:15 am 
Site Admin

Don't worry ChronoMoogle! I'm pretty sure most of us around here respect your opinion, even if you view it as being a little "negative". Both WildBill and I were pretty much equally in charge of editing the script for Lennus2. I can't be 100% sure who was responsible for the jokes you mentioned, whether it be me, WB, or the translator. Though I'd probably point the finger at Bill, but he's not here to defend himself, so that wouldn't be fair :)

We occasionally spice things up and add little comments or remarks to give flair to dialog. We (usually) don't create whole new dialog scenarios, but we expand what was already present to make the experience a little more enjoyable than the original (sometimes bland) interpretation of the Japanese. So, though I can't remember the exact translation for the situation you are mentioning, I'm pretty sure it does follow the spirit of the original.

I wouldn't have a problem overhauling the script someday. There are a few exchanges between Farus, Midia, Petro, etc. that I would like to clear up a little to better tie this game in with Lennus 1. Maybe someday.... *sigh*

Thanks for the feedback!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:49 am 

Draken wrote:
Don't worry ChronoMoogle! I'm pretty sure most of us around here respect your opinion, even if you view it as being a little "negative". Both WildBill and I were pretty much equally in charge of editing the script for Lennus2. I can't be 100% sure who was responsible for the jokes you mentioned, whether it be me, WB, or the translator. Though I'd probably point the finger at Bill, but he's not here to defend himself, so that wouldn't be fair :)

We occasionally spice things up and add little comments or remarks to give flair to dialog. We (usually) don't create whole new dialog scenarios, but we expand what was already present to make the experience a little more enjoyable than the original (sometimes bland) interpretation of the Japanese. So, though I can't remember the exact translation for the situation you are mentioning, I'm pretty sure it does follow the spirit of the original.

I wouldn't have a problem overhauling the script someday. There are a few exchanges between Farus, Midia, Petro, etc. that I would like to clear up a little to better tie this game in with Lennus 1. Maybe someday.... *sigh*

Thanks for the feedback!

You don't know who put the jokes in? I smell an EASTER EGG!! :P
hahaha