Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: This game improved on so much over Paladins Quest - a real..
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:43 am 

..gem!

I just beat Paladins Quest for the first time a few days ago (*gasp* and I consider myself an rpg freak).

edit: Don't worry, this is going somewhere, and might prove interesting to fellow old school rpg fans.

Anyway, I first played PQ when I was about 15-17 (around 2000-2002) and hated it at first. Hated. But kept puhing myself. The start of the game is hard, at least for a teen used to the more action oriented rpgs like Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, Zelda, Terranigma, Star Ocean, Alundra, etc. I died a lot in PQ! Plus I did not quite get the concept that magic was HUGE in this game, not until I read a faq much later just before climbing Mount Denobra. Plus I was under lvl'ed. So I grinded like crazy, died, lvl'ed more, maybe died once or twice more, but pushed myself to give this a real honest shot. Still timid, but started to slowly get into a rhythm and made it all the way to Temple of Jurayn a few days later. The place with the huge tower. I was starting to hit a nice stride, kind of looking forward to powering up the snes in fact ... finally starting to grow fond of PQ, but still a tiny bit timid, when...come on, you can guess it...saves were....

ALL GONE! missing. lost. ahhh

Ahh is right! I put a lot of work into that game. Perhaps more work than any other rpg pre-lvl 20. This is still true, along with Kings field and Dark Law, as of 2011, and I think I have beaten 6 dozen rpgs at this point. I resorted back to my feeling from earlier, but an ever deeper hate for the game! Resolved never to play it! Swore it off. Out of mind! (Maybe I even trashed the cart, not sure).

Dozens of rpgs came and went, beating most of them, if not all (also hating on Persona for a while, but it grew on me toward the end and now I can say I liked it and wanna play again).

Anyway, you can understand my hesitation when I found out that the rpg I was about to start, Lennus 2, was a sequel to...AHHH. Paladins Quest!

But as I fired it up, something struck me.

The game is really really beautiful looking, in a way only snes could achieve. But, still, really unique. I loved the sprite styles too, nice and large and detailed. Plus, the first song upon awakening just sucked me in. I had a minor feeling of trepidation and minor disgust when the first battle came and all of a sudden, looked all too familiar. I almost turned it off and deleted the rom. But something kept me going. I started to power magic right away, started off on the right foot. Started off on a good note, got into an early grove (like hitting a grand slam HR in the first inning) , BACKED UP saves in another folder after each break.

I finished the game pretty quickly.

I gotta say, this game was an improvement in every way!

-The music was just so "out there", but so beautiful. More varied than PQ as well.
-Better item management and menu system, as well as little intangibles like knowing what items are (p sh?? what??)

-Story really interesting

Just in general, a more polished PQ!

So I went on, with pleasure, probably beat it within a week and I have to say (sorry it took me so long to get to the point), what an amazing game! Improved upon every last idea PQ had.

Now let me say, I did go back and play PQ, like I said for the first time in over a decade. I can not believe I picked up the game, but I had a sudden urge, after the success with Lennus 2. and you know what? Paladins quest was much more enjoyable this time around. I liked playing it, knew a little more of what to do and expect ... and when I got to the tower, something seemed familiar and as I passed it, it all seemed new! Cool! However, I did lose about ten levels through a save state screw up. I can not explain how but it was an "ughh here we go again moment, was near quitting, after a tease of much enjoyment, but I was so close to finishing, I trudged on!

And I beat PQ in three days, in fact, and will probably never touch it again. The issue of the lost save has been laid to rest (see, there ARE stories of redemption in videogames! I figure my bad memories of the game can rest easy. Those three days were enjoyable (and as you can see addictive!)

My final verdict to anyone interested in PQ - Play the lesser known sequel first. It does everything PQ does, but a little (or in some ways a lot) better. I do not mean that as a knock on PQ as Lennus 2 is over a 9/10 in my book and hard to top (do not give out 10s, nothing is perfect). But play L2 and then check out PQ to get an understanding of lennus 2 roots. It is more raw, but still, 7.75/10.

Maybe only a hardcore rpg'er can understand what I mean. I think we all have THAT game, for whatever reason. PQ = THAT game (no longer!)

Thanks to a really polished, well translated Lennus 2, which piqued my interest in giving PQ a shot. ;)

Last edited by DoubleDvideogames on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: This game improved on so much over Paladins Quest - a re
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:55 am 
Site Admin

Glad to hear that you had a really enjoyable experience.

When I was working L-2 a couple of years ago, I really thought that this would be my "swan song". Although I had been in "the scene" for a long time, I hadn't really gotten anything finished in the romhacking community. Now look at DD! We've got lots of fantastic members, and we've helped release several more translations since then! Now, if only I could get back into working on SS2...

Post subject: Re: This game improved on so much over Paladins Quest - a re
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:07 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Glad to hear that you had a really enjoyable experience.

When I was working L-2 a couple of years ago, I really thought that this would be my "swan song". Although I had been in "the scene" for a long time, I hadn't really gotten anything finished in the romhacking community. Now look at DD! We've got lots of fantastic members, and we've helped release several more translations since then! Now, if only I could get back into working on SS2...
Heh, ditto everything you said, except TnD V0.99 was almost my swan song, and you know which game I've got sitting in my dusty folder!