Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Seeking to save hours of gameplay - Regarding Mercenaries
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:26 am 
Site Admin

Shyft4 wrote:
Hopefully this won't be important on this forum, but ... [[[Spoilers upcoming]]]

So I found a nice strong challenge in this game after all! I keep a couple of extra game saves around when playing through, and after finding the Mountain of Learning I had to see how early it's really possible to get the insane equipment held within. Turns out it's very early. I managed to beat it with an average character level of 28 (with only one character, Dark, at 30, because he starts at 30). That was quite a fun challenge, though I can say it would have been MUCH easier if I'd done the Water Corridor first. To update my progress and Mercenary hunt, I've gotten everyone on my list but the last two, RichJr and Polock, whom I am assuming is the hidden one. My best guess so far was that he was in the empty tavern in Karon, but unless I'm very unlucky, that has turned out wrong (tried entering and exiting that room a few hundred times). My feeling now is that he was hiding in one of the cities in Eltz, but I'm hopeful, maybe even confident considering the order of listing on this merc guide, that he'll still be there after the realms merge. That's just about to occur, as my most recent save involves me having 6 seals and standing outside the Taiga place. I'd certainly prefer not to be outright told if I'm in the right place, but it might be nice to know if I need to grab the reins and pull because I'm about to skip Rich or something. midic: Still working on that guide? I've built a pretty intimate understanding of the game and would be happy to collaborate. Let me know if you have some interest in the procedure I used to beat the Mountain early, as it's actually pretty easy.

I'm still quite impressed by the fluidity of the storyline, though it's -pretty- corny having the translation team appear twice as that group of travelers =P. Thank you again! It's really fun to be playing through the sequel to what, as a youth, was one of my favorite RPGs ever. I hope I have a chance to play everything on the site; I think Feda is next.
It has been a pleasure meeting people who love this game as much as Draken and I. Midic, thanks for the Eudenous rundown. I guess we should update the readme. Yes, Polock is the tricky merc to find. Someone sent us a message or posted here once, the exact details concerning Polock.

Ha-ha, yep, Iris is definitely a "poor-man's" Imelda Marcos, but I still love her dearly just the same, my little "Miss Universe" of Lennus-II! In real life, I would try to "clean her up" some, as they say....

Hee-hee, Corny R Us, sometimes. Or, perhaps it's just I, sowing lots of Silver King hybrid seeds here. maybe I should change my nick to Orville Rickenbacker, Jr!

Gosh, I wish one of you guys would write a Lennus-II(E) FAQ/Walkthrough! *Hint, hint...!!*

To the world: In the immortal words of Arnold S. (The "Governator"), "We'll be 'bock!!'"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:25 am 
Site Admin

Can I be a pilsner?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:10 am 

I wasn't really trying to make you look in every Tavern for Polock, just that everybody was being cagey about spoilers, so I was cagey too.

SPOILER XNXRXEXVXAXTXXXOXIXGXRXEXSX END SPOILER

hope ya can read backwards.

Quote:
Ha-ha, yep, Iris is definitely a "poor-man's" Imelda Marcos, but I still love her dearly just the same, my little "Miss Universe" of Lennus-II! In real life, I would try to "clean her up" some, as they say....

I wonder if that would work. When someone's whole personality and life skills focus on one thing, what is left if you take it away?

Quote:
Gosh, I wish one of you guys would write a Lennus-II(E) FAQ/Walkthrough! *Hint, hint...!!*
Quote:
midic: Still working on that guide? I've built a pretty intimate understanding of the game and would be happy to collaborate. Let me know if you have some interest in the procedure I used to beat the Mountain early, as it's actually pretty easy.

Guide is now 80-90% done. Things I still want to do include small fragments of Eltz and Lennus writeups (Layout, monster and treasure listings and maps are mostly done), working out a decent approximation of the physical damage formula, more details on non-damage spells (like how much damage Barrier stops) and looking up a bunch of little things like what armor Jenka can use (somehow seem to have missed her, since I'm pretty sure she's allowed to use armor). Then there's the go over it and neaten things up and let it ferment for a while and go over it again business.

I appreciate the offer of help, though I'm not sure I need strategy assistance at this time. As far as Mountain of learning at really low level, I think I'd probably use a peace spell and go in solo (With a side trip into Balmod's for the sage mask, so I can cast MagWall and all 3 X-owall spells), or maybe bring Joynus. Since elemental spirit experience=elemental defense, Farus/Joynus near maxed spirits+magwal+ whatever-owall spells should drop the Guardian's damage down to a managable 350 for each of it's attacks. A more conventional approach would involve exorcism staff or escape spell to deal with Combiners. There's no good reason to fight the things as far as I can tell, unless they have an ultra rare Gomutai drop like in Paladin's quest. Or if one wants to fight them, keep a dedicated spela caster and a dedicated bottle user (use sage ring if you don't have the right spirits on party members). This also works on the Guardians.

Guardian is weakest to Light, so I'd probably want to use that offensively. If I brought Joynus, I'd probably save some light cards (and maybe fire/air too) to get her up to 224 light exp and light level 8. She would also then cast level 4 Kekan, rather than level 3, which would double the damage she deals. For equipment, magic users would of course need 2 mage rings and a spirit hat, which combined give a +112 wisdom bonus, which would allow her to do about 3500 damage a turn. Replace mage ring with sage ring for an additional 24 wisdom and 480 or so damage. Deck Farus out similarly (I'm not sure what his Wisdom would be at this point) and the Guardian's 18000 HP could go down in 3 rounds. Or Farus could spend time pouring medicine on everybody's heads and it might take 5 or 6 rounds. Since the Guardian starts using the relatively harmless HPdrain when it gets low, healing won't be necessary during the last part of the battle.

Do I plan like this during actual gameplay? Heck no, I just blunder around and occasionally get killed, just like everybody else. I'd actually want to try this before putting it in a guide, but it _should_ work. Will it go in the guide? Will it be that detailed? Probably not. I'm more inclined to provide basic strategies, various tips, and the tools needed for people to come up with their own complex strategies. Spela+bottle should get most people through the mountain at an ordinary level. I'm really just waving this stuff around as a teaser or somethin'.

I actually can think of 1 thing people on this board might help me with. I know of the following bottles:
6 Mini bottles (Farus Temple, Gwandell, Al Rouge cave(2x), Gondo Ata, Tol Mira)
5 High bottles (Kua Gelga, The mines, Kaibal tower, Great tree, Hammond hill sewers)
3 Mega bottles (Illusion Castle, Karon, Daphne's cave)

However, the game gives each bottle an individual ID# and tracks its contents, so I know exactly how many bottles there potentially are in game: 8 mini bottles, 6 high bottles, and 4 mega bottles. Likely they decided this was too many, so took some chests out. There are definitely some chest flags that have no corresponding chests, but it is possible said chests aren't in game. Oh, and all the giga, anti, combat, death, bomb type bottles have been found, so I'm not worried about them..

Also, I wonder if the "Assassin" and "Cosmos suit" are in game? And did anybody ever find Sela and her Gubo?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:09 am 

No worries, I did end up finding Polock and was summarily quite impressed, as though he can't equip many items at least the ones he can include an awesome L-Hand item and one of the game's best weapons (it's pretty funny that he can't actually wear anything on his body). Have beaten the game, considering another playthrough, catching up on some stuff and celebrating my son's third birthday today.

Thanks again all, I'm sure I'll be lurking on these forums again in a couple of weeks =P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:17 am 

That would be great if you could complete a guide midic, this is exactly the type of game that needs one. Good luck with that.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:07 am 
Site Admin

ultpaladin wrote:
That would be great if you could complete a guide midic, this is exactly the type of game that needs one. Good luck with that.
Yep, and I hope you will let us host your guide here at D-D.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:06 pm 

Quote:

Well, it'll certainly be on GameFAQs, but it would be ludicrous not to let you host it too, seeing as how I'm pretty sure the point of my going through all this effort is for people to use the thing. Or something like that. Heck, I almost wouldn't care if somebody decided to steal it and put their name in place of my own. I mean, then they get all the email: "kan u hlep meee, i kan't get ou t of first room??!" "Well, loser61945, have you tried plugging in your keyboard?" "Wut keybord?!" *snicker*

Actually, once I'm done and have gone through a couple cycles of feedback, I'm inclined to put it down and never touch it again and move on to other things. The fact that I haven't posted a half done partial guide is partly to force myself to finish it. Plus I hate seeing partial guides. Total waste of disk space. So, in the long run, if somebody with an attention span longer than 6 months wants to maintain the thing, update it if it proves worthwhile, and of course, deal with loser61945's emails, I'd be inclined to let them. Not that I intend to leave all that much that would be worth updating (I'd rather do it right the first time).

Oh yea, filled in most of the text I needed to write this week. Now it's a matter of looking up the 50 or so things I noted that need to be looked up in a playthrough. And redoing all the things that I decide to throw out and revise.

Post subject: Re: Seeking to save hours of gameplay - Regarding Mercenarie
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:31 am 

midic wrote:
I actually can think of 1 thing people on this board might help me with. I know of the following bottles:
6 Mini bottles (Farus Temple, Gwandell, Al Rouge cave(2x), Gondo Ata, Tol Mira)
5 High bottles (Kua Gelga, The mines, Kaibal tower, Great tree, Hammond hill sewers)
3 Mega bottles (Illusion Castle, Karon, Daphne's cave)

However, the game gives each bottle an individual ID# and tracks its contents, so I know exactly how many bottles there potentially are in game: 8 mini bottles, 6 high bottles, and 4 mega bottles. Likely they decided this was too many, so took some chests out. There are definitely some chest flags that have no corresponding chests, but it is possible said chests aren't in game. Oh, and all the giga, anti, combat, death, bomb type bottles have been found, so I'm not worried about them..

Also, I wonder if the "Assassin" and "Cosmos suit" are in game? And did anybody ever find Sela and her Gubo?

I'm not sure where I found them, but I have 4 Mega Bottles. I think RichJr comes with one of them. That's probably the one you're missing.

The Assassin, at least, is in the game. You get it from Rage Dragons. Haven't found Cosmos Suit yet, but I'm looking.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

midic wrote:
Quote:

Well, it'll certainly be on GameFAQs, but it would be ludicrous not to let you host it too, seeing as how I'm pretty sure the point of my going through all this effort is for people to use the thing. Or something like that. Heck, I almost wouldn't care if somebody decided to steal it and put their name in place of my own. I mean, then they get all the email: "kan u hlep meee, i kan't get ou t of first room??!" "Well, loser61945, have you tried plugging in your keyboard?" "Wut keybord?!" *snicker*

Actually, once I'm done and have gone through a couple cycles of feedback, I'm inclined to put it down and never touch it again and move on to other things. The fact that I haven't posted a half done partial guide is partly to force myself to finish it. Plus I hate seeing partial guides. Total waste of disk space. So, in the long run, if somebody with an attention span longer than 6 months wants to maintain the thing, update it if it proves worthwhile, and of course, deal with loser61945's emails, I'd be inclined to let them. Not that I intend to leave all that much that would be worth updating (I'd rather do it right the first time).

Oh yea, filled in most of the text I needed to write this week. Now it's a matter of looking up the 50 or so things I noted that need to be looked up in a playthrough. And redoing all the things that I decide to throw out and revise.
If you're out there, midic, just curious how the new guide is coming.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:26 pm 

midic's guide would be very welcome. Perhaps even more would play the game. Some people won't play a game without a decent guide. If midic is still out there, I have a list of every item in the game and its corresponding hex value (Using a PAR code I got from GameFAQs, which I think was actually posted by midic). Also making notes on any of them I get as drops from monsters. If anyone wants the list, let me know.