Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking to save hours of gameplay - Regarding Mercenaries
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:55 pm 

Hey there! I have been playing Lennus II for a while now, and I'm very impressed (and thank you - I'm already strongly interested in the other projects you're working on)! I'm glad to have this translated and it's a big improvement over the original in a myriad of ways. The execution of the translation seems to be very good. However, I want to make sure I'm not seeing a case of mistaken identity! When I enter Gondo Ata for the first time, there are three graves there (Mary, Buggy, and Dark). The mercenary listing I have for the game also lists a mercenary named Dark. I'm a bit of a completionist, so I don't want to miss out on this one; is that mercenary the same person I'm finding dead in this city, or are there just multiple people with the same name? If it's the same person, what should I do to prevent his death? (Do I just need to BLAST through Al Terran and Du Terran faster than I did? It seems like the casualties -after- Dark are based on elapsed game time...)

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but this is literally the only L2 board on the net which is particularly active and I'd like to restart now rather than completely miss out on a mercenary due to this. Thanks again.

While I'm at it, any other missables you guys have found that can be provided relatively spoiler-free? I know I'm asking a lot but at least I'm appreciative =P. Thank you once more.

Post subject: Re: Seeking to save hours of gameplay - Regarding Mercenaries
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:51 pm 

Hello and welcome to the forum, Shyft4.
While I didn't participate actively on the development of the Lennus 2 patch (I wasn't part of the team back then)
I will be sure to forward your inquiries to those in the team more familiar with the game.
Thank you for you interest, and I might be able to answer questions regarding Feda, Slayers and Mystic Ark, given
these have my direct involvement in one level or another as a playtester and script advisor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:17 am 
Site Admin

The quick answer is that I believe this is a case of two different characters with the same name. Funny, but I never noticed this before. The Dark who sometimes dies in Gondo Ata is an Andelian (long pointy ears) who resides in World 1. The Dark you encounter as a merc probably appears late in World 2 or early in World 3, and I believe he may be a human. I am basing this guess on the order in which mercs are loaded in the file. Quite honestly, I always wanted to draft a detailed merc guide, but I never quite found the time.

As for who dies and who lives in Gondo Ata, it does indeed appear to be time-related, but in the sense of the number of occasions you exit the dungeon, return to town to heal, and speak to the residents. I recall minimizing the death count in Gondo Ata by bumping a few levels with a cheat and clearing the dungeons quickly, non-stop. I did this in order to trigger all of the routines so I could display all of the strings in the file in order to check them.

I guess all of us RPG players have personality types that lean toward zero-discrepancy perfectionism. I'm happy to hear you are enjoying Lennus-II. If you find any errors, by all means report them on this board.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 am 
Site Admin

As far as "other missables" go... Most everything in Andel is "missable," so be sure to get everything that you want before moving on with game. I'm trying really hard not to spoil anything, but you'll know what I'm talking about when it happens. Also, there is one "hidden" merc who is quite hard tricky to obtain. Most people who play through the game never even see him (including all of us).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:12 am 

Thanks Wildbill and Draken; I ended up restarting and rolling through the early continents MUCH faster (gave me a chance to re-optimize some spending, and I even got luckier on some level-ups so I'm keeping the new game rather than the old). The fewest casualties possible in Gondo Ata is 3, the 3 mentioned. Time is not important; just killing Forga before talking to any of the people in the town's northern houses or going to the Gold Spirit Shrine limits it to those three, otherwise the armor shop owner is the first to die.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you guys out with projects. I'm not technically savvy, but I have a very strong eye for detail and a background in writing and copy editing so I might be useful as a tester or something. Regardless I appreciate the work you all are putting in to generate English versions of a lot of games that deserved the translation. I'm definitely excited to play Mystic Ark and expect that Just Breed, Feda, and Ranma ½ RPG are some of the next ones I'll try out when I find the time.

Back to the game I go! I'm curious now about the hidden merc (though the merc list I was looking at on the GFs message board does give a -bit- of a clue to that person's identity).

Thanks again =)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Shyft4 wrote:
Thanks Wildbill and Draken; I ended up restarting and rolling through the early continents MUCH faster (gave me a chance to re-optimize some spending, and I even got luckier on some level-ups so I'm keeping the new game rather than the old). The fewest casualties possible in Gondo Ata is 3, the 3 mentioned. Time is not important; just killing Forga before talking to any of the people in the town's northern houses or going to the Gold Spirit Shrine limits it to those three, otherwise the armor shop owner is the first to die.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you guys out with projects. I'm not technically savvy, but I have a very strong eye for detail and a background in writing and copy editing so I might be useful as a tester or something. Regardless I appreciate the work you all are putting in to generate English versions of a lot of games that deserved the translation. I'm definitely excited to play Mystic Ark and expect that Just Breed, Feda, and Ranma ½ RPG are some of the next ones I'll try out when I find the time.

Back to the game I go! I'm curious now about the hidden merc (though the merc list I was looking at on the GFs message board does give a -bit- of a clue to that person's identity).

Thanks again =)
You are welcome, and thanks to Red Soul for e-mailing us so we could give you timely inputs. As for the hidden merc, he's (it's) in one of the remote villages, I understand, encounter-able after you've cleared all of Nigel, I believe.

Definitely, you sound like an excellent tester for Chaos Seed, Hourai High School, Aretha-II, Burning Heroes, and other well advanced projects. Also, in regard to our games, don't overlook Villgust, Destiny of an Emperor-II, and Slayers. Phastasy Star Gaiden remains a good little play, too, I've been told recently.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:35 am 

Specific triggers for Gondo Ata shopkeepers dying are:
- Fighting Gold spirit
- Getting the chest containing "White Shadow" (Right hand Mira cave corridor).
- Getting the "Black Light" (Left hand corridor).

You can do anything else and shopkeepers won't die.

Other Missables:
- The chest in the Gondo Ata tavern contains a mini-bottle and will vanish when you beat Forga.
- If you don't recruit Myra (and bring her with you?) before beating Gilray Zork, she will vanish forever.
- The treasures in the fissure in Cameron will no longer be available after you defeat Gilray Zork.
- You can no longer marry one of your party member to Eudamus after the second trip to Andel.
- After saving Midia, you will no longer be able to enter the castle of illusions, denying you access to the two chests, in the unlikely event that you somehow failed to trip over them the first time.
- The water spirit must be acquired before traveling to Lennus via the Tower of Gravity.
- Void card in chest in holy ship must be acquired before takeoff.

Pretty much everything else that isn't on Andel can be gone back for if you really want to.

---

The previously mentioned hidden merc isn't terribly hard to find, once you realize that there's ~1-2% chance of him(it?) appearing, each time you enter the room where he likes to hang out. Of course, once you've found him, the trick is finding the 3 non-bottle pieces of equipment that he can actually use.

---

Although "Dark" is listed as a "Doru", he uses a color swapped version of Joad's sprite. My thought is that he was originally supposed to be a secret character who could be found if one saved all the people from Forga, but then they decided they didn't want any more characters in Andel, so they declared him to be a Doru and used him elsewhere.

---

Oh, and I'd be delighted to inflict myself on you as a tester as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:59 am 

Huh, looks like this triggered some various response =D. This Eudemus thing is odd. I wouldn't mind getting rid of Iris, since she's decidedly worse than Jenka (seriously, try training Jenka! she gets pretty insane. I just finished the Tree and she is doing thousands with Gubo). I'm assuming the trick for his treasure room has been figured out; just marrying someone to him doesn't seem to do anything at all immediately, so I'm wondering if it's another do this and come back later kind of thing. Those are always troubling.

Game is awesome so far; I took advantage of Cheche to outfit my characters on the cheap (Multi-Arrow is savage on the main, hitting for almost 2k per attack), had Myra until she ditched, now enjoying a Nikita/Gond/Jenka party quite a bit. Gond is much better than I thought he would be, doing huge damage with Tool weapons and the Iron Clogs. The plot is more than acceptable and the gameplay downright enthralling.

Thanks for the additional tips, Midic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:18 pm 

Quote:
Huh, looks like this triggered some various response =D. This Eudemus thing is odd. I wouldn't mind getting rid of Iris, since she's decidedly worse than Jenka (seriously, try training Jenka! she gets pretty insane. I just finished the Tree and she is doing thousands with Gubo). I'm assuming the trick for his treasure room has been figured out; just marrying someone to him doesn't seem to do anything at all immediately, so I'm wondering if it's another do this and come back later kind of thing. Those are always troubling.

Looked for the answer on the forums here, haven't seen, so possibly anybody who solved the questions posed in the translation's readme was too lazy to post, like me. Or maybe I missed it in the old forums.

Cut and paste from the unreleased Guide that might get done if I stop getting sidetracked by translated and for that matter, soon to be translated JRPGs (Chaos seed is really neat =) ):

The result of the marriage will become apparent when you return from Andel with the 8th seal. Jenka, Yuma, and Melina will have terrorized the household. Iris will have spent all of Eudamus's money, then left him in an empty house. You can then find her in the bar where you first met her (recruit her again if you like). Am I the only one who thinks of Imelda Marcos and her 5000 pairs of shoes here?

Nikita is the only one who will make Eudamus and household very happy. This will get you access to his "Treasure room" (looks like a bedroom to me...). Inside, you'll find [Purpbird feather] [Gubo milk]. If you didn't find a girl for Eudamus before going off to Andel, he will end up marrying Pepe, one of his servants. The other 3 female mercenaries, Joynus, Lovie, and Myra aren't available during the time frame in which you can introduce Eudamus to a girl. As far as I know, none of the other NPCs (like for example Preyzus daughter) can be given to Eudamus either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:17 pm 

Hopefully this won't be important on this forum, but ... [[[Spoilers upcoming]]]

So I found a nice strong challenge in this game after all! I keep a couple of extra game saves around when playing through, and after finding the Mountain of Learning I had to see how early it's really possible to get the insane equipment held within. Turns out it's very early. I managed to beat it with an average character level of 28 (with only one character, Dark, at 30, because he starts at 30). That was quite a fun challenge, though I can say it would have been MUCH easier if I'd done the Water Corridor first. To update my progress and Mercenary hunt, I've gotten everyone on my list but the last two, RichJr and Polock, whom I am assuming is the hidden one. My best guess so far was that he was in the empty tavern in Karon, but unless I'm very unlucky, that has turned out wrong (tried entering and exiting that room a few hundred times). My feeling now is that he was hiding in one of the cities in Eltz, but I'm hopeful, maybe even confident considering the order of listing on this merc guide, that he'll still be there after the realms merge. That's just about to occur, as my most recent save involves me having 6 seals and standing outside the Taiga place. I'd certainly prefer not to be outright told if I'm in the right place, but it might be nice to know if I need to grab the reins and pull because I'm about to skip Rich or something. midic: Still working on that guide? I've built a pretty intimate understanding of the game and would be happy to collaborate. Let me know if you have some interest in the procedure I used to beat the Mountain early, as it's actually pretty easy.

I'm still quite impressed by the fluidity of the storyline, though it's -pretty- corny having the translation team appear twice as that group of travelers =P. Thank you again! It's really fun to be playing through the sequel to what, as a youth, was one of my favorite RPGs ever. I hope I have a chance to play everything on the site; I think Feda is next.