Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The one who try it the hard way
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:54 am 

Been a while since someone come post here to speak about the game itself and his experience more than glitch or the hack itself.

This topic isn't interesting, nor does it have interest for you, it's just something I want to ask. It is about someone – me – who is doing the game for the first time and thought it was a good idea to keep a character from the beggining of the game in its party for the entire game. Oh, not the mercenaries from Andell of course.

For some reasons... I just found Clay so cool. So I can't bear to make him leave my party. =p
Okay, he's a beggining characters, have poor stats and magics, and make me pay a fee at the entrance of every dungeons. Still, I want to keep him the most I can because he's simply cool, it's in my view the coolest mercenary I got to recruit.

So at this point, I must have gathered, uh, the fifth seal (Or is it the sixth ? 'been a while, I'm going back to the game after a few months). I've kept Clay in my party all this time. Yes. I've survived the Great Tree, which driven me mad like any sane person. Now, I'm simply wodering if it is possible to keep the whole game like that, because I can already see the bosses of end-game kicking my ass since keeping a low character in my roster, because it is impossible to give him a new element. So then, am I doing the right thing or am I really going to get my ass kicked ? (Knowing that, although having only 2 elements, Clay still have pretty good Def. and HP stats, he's more a direct fighter than a magic caster and can be a good tank.)

Image Image

The one who was far in the game, and still had Clay in its team along with high-leveled mercenaries from Gloucester.

Post subject: Re: The one who try it the hard way
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:52 am 

I would think you could get by with 3 good characters and a mediocre character. Maybe it also depends on what Clay can equip from the best equipment towards the end of the game. Is he a character you can drop and then get back or will he disappear forever if you get rid of him?

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:01 am 

If by that you mean if you can call him back through the Summon Tavern, then the answer is yes. At least, when I tried quite a while ago, it seems to have worked, don't know if it will for the rest of the game neither if I really tried on Clay or another character (But I do think so). In fact, I didn't even knew there were characters you can't call back if you dismiss them. Are they many ?

Yeah, I do thought that with 3 good character and a mediocre one, it was still manageable, but I didn't knew how look the end of the game. Though Clay seems to work strangely on what weapons he can equip or not (Wonder if he can wear the strongest weapons, though), I supposed that if the end-game bosses were too hard, it would be waste of time to try to grind him up. Still, he does have the highest HPs of my current team, not to mention good defense en highest Power. (Though brute force started to become effective only recently)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:04 am 
Site Admin

ultpaladin wrote:
I would think you could get by with 3 good characters and a mediocre character. Maybe it also depends on what Clay can equip from the best equipment towards the end of the game. Is he a character you can drop and then get back or will he disappear forever if you get rid of him?
It is possible to beat the game even with the fellow who won't leave the team until he gets killed! My first game ever, I used one of the long-eared women from Andel the whole way and beat the game with her.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:06 pm 

Mmh... Progressed a bit. Clay is just an awesome tank and damage dealer. Even though he'll probably never stand to the likes of Nikita because of his lack of magic skills (Gold & Earth only), he still have awesome stats and the super-useful "Bottle" skill.

For the weapons he can bear... I simply noticed he specialized in Whips. He can't bear high-leveled Slashers neither high-leveled 2H-Swords (And barely high-leveled swords), but he can bear the Hell Whips they sold for 20 000 G at Gloucester, which I believe is quite a powerful weapon, and means he probably can bear other high-leveled whips. That's just a good new to me. Should I buy the Hell Whips now or will I obtain it in future dungeons ? It's quite valuable I must say... (Clay haven't found a better weapon for quite a while. He have a low-levelled Slasher compared to the mid-levelled Slasher of Karrat, though, he just does around the same physical damage, if not a little more, proof of his very high STR stats.)

I also wonder when Farus will finally be able to handle 3 spirits at once, even though I've unlocked the Earth Spirit, I'm still stuck to 2 spirits-at-once...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:38 am 
Site Admin

Remilia Scarlet wrote:
Mmh... Progressed a bit. Clay is just an awesome tank and damage dealer. Even though he'll probably never stand to the likes of Nikita because of his lack of magic skills (Gold & Earth only), he still have awesome stats and the super-useful "Bottle" skill.

For the weapons he can bear... I simply noticed he specialized in Whips. He can't bear high-leveled Slashers neither high-leveled 2H-Swords (And barely high-leveled swords), but he can bear the Hell Whips they sold for 20 000 G at Gloucester, which I believe is quite a powerful weapon, and means he probably can bear other high-leveled whips. That's just a good new to me. Should I buy the Hell Whips now or will I obtain it in future dungeons ? It's quite valuable I must say... (Clay haven't found a better weapon for quite a while. He have a low-levelled Slasher compared to the mid-levelled Slasher of Karrat, though, he just does around the same physical damage, if not a little more, proof of his very high STR stats.)

I also wonder when Farus will finally be able to handle 3 spirits at once, even though I've unlocked the Earth Spirit, I'm still stuck to 2 spirits-at-once...
All of this Lennus-II talk is making me a bit homesick. I love that game!

As for that high price Gloucester gear at the start, I found it more economical to learn to fight efficiently with Spirits than grind for money. One beauty of L-II is is re-playability. You could assemble different combinations of fighters each game and find the whole chemistry and strategy changed. Also, you can develop a dozen or so mercenaries and hand-pick groups whose skills are best suited for specific regions.

Oh, and Remeer... Maybe you can help us out when your game gets well advanced. Look for instances in which Spirit symbols may be switched in some menus. I believe we might have a few of those that we never adjusted. Heh, I don't want Bongo` to get bored now that Slayers is winding down!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:29 am 

Well, I anyway bought the Hell Whips, since having 50 000 G at the moment, which came in handy in the later dungeons, so it was a good idea I guess.

I'm currently after obtaining the Eigth Seals and a little while. I'm surprised as well as not as of how things turned.

[Major...Major...Spoiler]

Quote:
I love the fact that you have to return to Andell for obtaining the very last Seal, I simply didn't seen this coming, not to mention the overall hysteria of peoples and the hatred they fills against you, and where you learn the death of many peoples you met sooner in the game. It's just excellent, not to mention how Andell finish engulfed anyway; the game feel a lot more dramatic and mature than a lot of SNES games I've played so far, I'm quite happy about this because until here the game was a little too classic, maybe even cheesy sometime. But the game manage to surprise me now, so I think I'll go ahead; I maybe underestimated it. I'm now in the village just after you lost the Eight Seals, in front of the Desert. I've been a little disgusted by the fact you're obliged to hand over the Eight Seals. It's a little easy; not that I don't like Petro, but his life against millions of ones, especially after seeing the dying Andell, I would never accept to give it to them. Anyway; I'm now back to the "good old" gameplay-inducing situation, so I guess I'll head for the Air Palace before going onward now...

[/End of big spoiler]

Say, Wildbill, what do you want me to check exactly ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Remilia Scarlet wrote:
Say, Wildbill, what do you want me to check exactly ?
I can't remember exactly. Maybe Draken does, but later in the game, some Spirit symbols may have been switched. For example, a character or monster may have possessed an Air Spirit, but instead, an Earth Spirit symbol flashed up on the screen or in a menu. Be on the lookout for anything such as that, and please send us a graphic, SRM, or something if it happens.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:02 am 
Site Admin

I think they were fixed... Hmm... Maybe it's a problem that is solely resides in the Merc. hiring screen. That seems to ring a bell. hehe. I think that two of the spirit letters (i.e. F, E) were switched, but I can't remember if Bongo' fixed that or not.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:55 pm 

Mmh. I'll be careful, though I don't think I've seen anything like that until now.

Anyway, I progressed quite a bit. I'm now in the "other world" (You know which it is). I feel a little dumb here because I haven't done Lennus 1 (Paladin's Quest), so not only I feel lost, but more, I feel like I'm missing dozen of refferences to the first episode, thus the game isn't as much pleasant and surprising as it is meant to. And such, I feel really dumb, like, hell, I should have done the 1 first to not miss that. But it's done now.

Oh well... I'm stuck in the Mountain of Learning, because I just don't understand what I'm mean to do here. They all told me to go here, so I've been here, the ennemies kicked my ass hardly, I somewhat managed to the end of the (long, long, long...) Light Pass, and then the boss is impossible to beat. Just what is this all about ? I hope I could at least beat the boss.

EDIT: Allright, some hours later... I'm now againts Boozoo. And euh... Is this a joke ? This is the fourth time I try, and he still does a one-shot on my whole team with his rain of fist. I'm level 33 and never fled a battle except when necessary. Just what the HELL does this means ? I've tried some tactics but there's nothing to do : He still kick the ass of my whole team. I just don't see what to do. This time I REALLY need some help. I'm really desperate for this one !!